Home Sports Talk

NHL Connor McDavid road to 150 point season (updates 2023-04-13: 153 points in 82 games)

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 13, 2023 7:14PM in Sports Talk

It is a great time to be a NHL fan what a player he is. Probably the best I have watched since Lemieux and Gretzky. I know Crosby and Ovechkin are great players as well but to me McDavid seems on another level. He will have to win a cup at some point would be sad to see him never get at least one.

It is hard to compare all these great players but one thing I can say is McDavid makes hockey really fun to watch game by game.

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

Comments

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2023 8:24PM

113 point in 60 games hope he makes it to 150. In this day and age 150 points is amazing!!!

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

The King is back! 😀
    11 points in his last 3 games so 160 still is possible.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

I wonder if Edmonton stands a chance of winning The Cup this season would be awesome as a Canadian we have not won since way way back in 1993.....30 years!!!

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    I wonder if Edmonton stands a chance of winning The Cup this season would be awesome as a Canadian we have not won since way way back in 1993.....30 years!!!

I was going to send you a PM, but your profile is private, so here goes...you don't have to answer or respond if you don't want...I just wanted to say that I am always interested in hearing opinions and stories from Canada. I think it gives a great balance and contribution to many discussions. I know that we mainly talk sports here, but still....I have never been to Canada, but on my father's side my family is from Quebec. French Canadian. Arrived there in the 17th century and my ancestors moved to Massachusetts late 19th, early 20th century. My father passed long ago, when I was five, but himself and all of his family spoke French. My parents went to Quebec on their honeymoon. I think the reason that I am bringing this up is that my youngest son has recently been talking about wanting to visit.

I didn't mean to try to derail the thread, back to hockey...lol.

Was this video on the other thread? I can't remember. Either way...amazing stuff!!

https://youtu.be/NpPsfeWtexw

Showtime nice video!
    I like the ones when the announcer says “Mcdavid coming in …..with speed!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    Showtime nice video!
    I like the ones when the announcer says “Mcdavid coming in …..with speed!

I'm here to (among other reasons) make you guys happy, so I'm happy that you enjoyed it...

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have to step up their goaltending to do it. Grant Fuhr-like stats don't make it in these modern times........... Crossing my fingers tho'. I remember the Oil golden era and watching Mess, Kurri, Lowe, Anderson, Gretz, and hey even Tik................. Want it back.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
    edited February 26, 2023 10:31AM

@thisistheshow said:

I was going to send you a PM, but your profile is private, so here goes...you don't have to answer or respond if you don't want...I just wanted to say that I am always interested in hearing opinions and stories from Canada. I think it gives a great balance and contribution to many discussions. I know that we mainly talk sports here, but still....I have never been to Canada, but on my father's side my family is from Quebec. French Canadian. Arrived there in the 17th century and my ancestors moved to Massachusetts late 19th, early 20th century. My father passed long ago, when I was five, but himself and all of his family spoke French. My parents went to Quebec on their honeymoon. I think the reason that I am bringing this up is that my youngest son has recently been talking about wanting to visit.

If you visit Canada there are so many great places to visit like almost any other country really but if you chose Quebec people seem to enjoy Montreal very much and especially during the the Summer months. Quebec city is also a great place to visit it is also a destination a lot of people seem to like. Out of the 2 Montreal would be my choice.

Best to watch some youtube videos on each city and see what it is like to make sure you have the best vacation possible. Of course there are tons of out of the city destinations as well all over Quebec it all depends what suits your interests.

I will change my PM status I was not aware it was set up like that. How do I change that exactly?

@thisistheshow said:

If you visit Canada there are so many great places to visit like almost any other country really but if you chose Quebec people seem to enjoy Montreal very much and especially during the the Summer months. Quebec city is also a great place to visit it is also a destination a lot of people seem to like. Out of the 2 Montreal would be my choice.

Best to watch some youtube videos on each city and see what it is like to make sure you have the best vacation possible. Of course there are tons of out of the city destinations as well all over Quebec it all depends what suits your interests.

I will change my PM status I was not aware it was set up like that. How do I change that exactly?

click on the far right account options
    go to account and privacy settings
    I think there is a box you can check or uncheck for your profile to be public and your email

@thisistheshow said:

With the US dollar you will get to enjoy it even more I think it is 35% more now versus Canadian dollar could be more.

@thisistheshow said:

With the US dollar you will get to enjoy it even more I think it is 35% more now versus Canadian dollar could be more.

I appreciate your input. The idea is in its infancy stage. We don't travel much (ok, at all). Last year my wife and kids went to Spain, and the year before to New York CIty (where my wife and I met). We've been married over twenty years, and other than trips to see my family in Massachusetts that is all we've done...and I didn't go on either of those. My point is...we don't get out much, but going to Quebec is on our short list, and I expect it to happen within five or ten years, God willing.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to see the best player in the NHL, go to the Minnesota Wild website and watch today's game recap.
    That is all.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Please, someone explain what is happening. The King is now the collect of pillars.

@thisistheshow said:
    Please, someone explain what is happening. The King is now the collect of pillars.

I had heard about name shifters but thought it was just nonsense but now…………… 😳

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    edited February 26, 2023 7:48PM

@thisistheshow said:

It is me I have been wanting to change my user name for years never thought I could till today it reflects what I truly collect. I use to be in US dollars but that was years ago. I don't intend in ever changing it again moving forward I had it for almost 3 years till today.

Why have a username that has nothing to do with what your hobby is about. I was told you cannot change your username seems like the administrators have added that option. I listed my old username in my signature line.

edited February 27, 2023 8:54PM

@PillarDollarCollector said:

PDC, as much as I appreciate you plugging Canada, I find Montreal to be oh kay, but no where near its rep, and it seems to be one avenue of restaurants, then, not so much. I'll take the friendliness of Edmonton and Alberta any day, and in terms of international prestige, Vancouver. Montreal. meh............... Folks in Alberta are real folks, and they know hockey, seems like almost everyone there played junior hockey at some point, alot ended up in Kamloops for some reason................ Montreal, they think they are like Europeans. Not. This is why Edmonton and the rest of Alberta is foundational in hockey, it is in their base, their blood, their family history. This is why so many NHLers come from Alberta, names like Red Deer, Lethbridge, Edmonton, Viking, Medicine Hat, as home towns:

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/province/nhl-players-born-in-alberta-career-stats.html

Mess, Iginla, Lanny, Sutter, Fuhr, Linden, and on and on. So visit Calgary, visit Edmonton, and from there, Jasper, Banff, Rocky Mountain House, Canmore, Lake Louise, so on.

And many more Bigfeet, mountains, buffalo, and glaciers in Alberta:

https://www.clearwatercounty.ca/p/sasquatch-welcome-to-our-backyard

Quebec?

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
    edited February 28, 2023 10:23AM

@spacehayduke said:

PDC, as much as I appreciate you plugging Canada, I find Montreal to be oh kay, but no where near its rep, and it seems to be one avenue of restaurants, then, not so much. I'll take the friendliness of Edmonton and Alberta any day, and in terms of international prestige, Vancouver. Montreal. meh............... Folks in Alberta are real folks, and they know hockey, seems like almost everyone there played junior hockey at some point, alot ended up in Kamloops for some reason................ Montreal, they think they are like Europeans. Not. This is why Edmonton and the rest of Alberta is foundational in hockey, it is in their base, their blood, their family history. This is why so many NHLers come from Alberta, names like Red Deer, Lethbridge, Edmonton, Viking, Medicine Hat, as home towns:

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/province/nhl-players-born-in-alberta-career-stats.html

Mess, Iginla, Lanny, Sutter, Fuhr, Linden, and on and on. So visit Calgary, visit Edmonton, and from there, Jasper, Banff, Rocky Mountain House, Canmore, Lake Louise, so on.

And many more Bigfeet, mountains, buffalo, and glaciers in Alberta:

https://www.clearwatercounty.ca/p/sasquatch-welcome-to-our-backyard

Quebec?

He spoke about Quebec so that is what I answered like I said many nice places in Canada but if I was a visitor to Quebec....Montreal or Quebec City would be the major cities to visit. Montreal tons of attractions and offer so many things to do on vacation. It is a major city as you well know.

If he wants to visit rural areas then there are tons of those also in Quebec I would visit in the Summer months. Winter sucks and so do the roads.

edited February 28, 2023 8:35AM

13 points in 4 games but lost to bruins. Looks like I made good bet on Connor leading in goals now time to bet on Boston to win it all

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    edited February 28, 2023 10:24AM

McDavid hits the magical 50th goal for the first time in his career!!! Now at 115 points this season.

McDavid hits the magical 50th goal for the first time in his career!!! Now at 115 points this season.

I hope he surges to 70/160.........

edited February 28, 2023 5:53PM

@spacehayduke said:

I hope he surges to 70/160.........

Seems like a stretch I would say 60/150 is possible guess we will see. I hope he does 70/160 that would make for some great great games till the regular seasons ends.

Seems like a stretch I would say 60/150 is possible guess we will see. I hope he does 70/160 that would make for some great great games till the regular seasons ends.

The Oil has 21 games left. At his current scoring pace he will be at 155 points if he plays all of the games. So if he can keep it up, and he does have momentum, it might be possible. In this day and age even 60/150 is elite for sure.

Best, SH

edited February 28, 2023 7:55PM

@spacehayduke said:

The Oil has 21 games left. At his current scoring pace he will be at 155 points if he plays all of the games. So if he can keep it up, and he does have momentum, it might be possible. In this day and age even 60/150 is elite for sure.

Best, SH

It is beyond elite more like Gretzky level but in the modern age with all the goalie gear they have now. Crosby has never had more than 120 points and has scored 100 points 6 times in his career McDavid has passed that at 123 points and has almost tied those 6 100 point seasons as well. He has 5 100 point seasons and he just turned 26 years old.

He has tied Crosby at having 50 goals in a season. Crosby did it once.

But Crosby has 3 Stanley Cup rings and McDavid has 0.

edited March 1, 2023 6:46PM

McDavid on fire 2 goals already tonight only the 3rd player to score 2 goals in 5 straight game in the last 100 years (Mario Lemieux & Alexander Molginy) . He is on a whole other level no one even close in this generation.

McDavid on fire 2 goals already tonight only the 3rd player to score 2 goals in 5 straight game in the last 100 years (Mario Lemieux & Alexander Molginy) . He is on a whole other level no one even close in this generation.

Amazing, 2 goals 1 assist in the first period. The guy is on fire!

Now 16 points in last 5 games with two periods to go in this game

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    edited March 1, 2023 7:17PM

@Darin said:

Amazing, 2 goals 1 assist in the first period. The guy is on fire!

Now 16 points in last 5 games with two periods to go in this game

Love Oilers hockey night was looking forward to the game all day. McDavid has brought back my fire (passion) for hockey not that that I did not like watching hockey I do but he makes EVERY game fun/great to watch!!! Last time I felt like this is when Mario Lemieux was playing. I also enjoyed watching Crosby and still do from time to time. If I had a US team Pittsburgh has been it since the late 1980's.

For a few years only the playoffs were this exciting now I get 82 games to get fired up about!!!

Pillar dollar collector, glad you’re enjoying watching Connor and the Oilers play, that’s what sports are all about.
    Thanks for the updates, hope the Oilers play really well in the playoffs.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@Darin said:
    Pillar dollar collector, glad you’re enjoying watching Connor and the Oilers play, that’s what sports are all about.

Who is your team by the way? I watch all Canadian teams and Pittsburgh or Detroit as well some times.

@Darin said:

Who is your team by the way? I watch all Canadian teams and Pittsburgh or Detroit as well some times.

I grew up in Kansas in the seventies, ice hockey was completely foreign to us. I had only heard of Gordie Howe because he was on the cover of sports illustrated sometimes.
    Anyway about 3 years ago I was thinking about buying a Connor McDavid rookie card, I never did but for some reason I started to enjoy looking up his statistics so I kind of became a fan of his. Sometimes when the Oilers are on tv I watch them, I saw the game the other night against the bruins and was disappointed they lost.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    edited March 1, 2023 7:37PM

@Darin said:

@Darin said:

I grew up in Kansas in the seventies, ice hockey was completely foreign to us. I had only heard of Gordie Howe because he was on the cover of sports illustrated sometimes.
    Anyway about 3 years ago I was thinking about buying a Connor McDavid rookie card, I never did but for some reason I started to enjoy looking up his statistics so I kind of became a fan of his. Sometimes when the Oilers are on tv I watch them, I saw the game the other night against the bruins and was disappointed they lost.

People that purchased McDavid rookies back in 2015 can pay off their houses now if they got some of the top rookies in high grades. I should have as well. His The Cup rookie numbered to 99 was 15 000$ back in 2015 now 100k-150k or more. My local card shop pulled one and sold it the same day for 15k they can't keep cards for years but it must hurt.

If they beat Toronto at Home this evening that will be a 1st in 7 years!!! They lead 5-1.

If they beat Toronto at Home this evening that will be a 1st in 7 years!!! They lead 5-1.

I am thinking 2 things, here, the acquisition of Ekholm is going to strengthen the D, but the G's still need to step up as Skinner did last nite. If they can, and McD and the O continue with this momentum...................

edited March 4, 2023 5:04PM

Edmonton playing Winnipeg at 9h00pm Eastern time (and again tomorrow at 7hoopm). Will be watching the game. McDavid is at 118 points in 62 games almost 30 points ahead of the next point leader in the entire NHL.

Amazing hockey another 3 point night for McDavid. Will tune in tomorrow at 5h00pm vs Jets.

Okay that’s 19 points the last 6 games. With this surge he is now scoring 1.92 points per game.

Can he continue his torrid pace of 3 per game and raise his season average to 2 points per game?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@Darin said:
    Okay that’s 19 points the last 6 games. With this surge he is now scoring 1.92 points per game.

Can he continue his torrid pace of 3 per game and raise his season average to 2 points per game?

That would be great to witness someone average 2 points per game in the current NHL of the last few decades.

Game on vs Winnipeg.

edited March 4, 2023 8:11PM

McDavid adds 1 point tonight.

If only the Oil could consistently keep the opponents goal totals down...................... Hopefully by the playoffs they will get in sync on D with the new players and the goalies will be in tune. So much O talent, crossing my fingers.

2 more goals for McDavid this evening he passes he previous high for a season 123 points and now stands at 124 points.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that comparing players across decades can be a tricky exercise, but how does Connor compare to the greatest ever? I am mostly a baseball/football guy, but it seems conner is climbing the ranks. Is he considered as good as Crosby? Lemieux? Gretzky? Could he be better? I know scoring is down from the 80's, so he will never match Gretzky's raw output, but how are his analytics compared to the all time greats?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Hard to compare, NHL was a more open game back then - goalies having smaller equipment for keeping pucks out of the net, D's were not closing down the ice the way they do now as their game has improved in this way. I never watched Lemiux much, but Gretzky to me seemed to have very quick hands and reaction time, good speed and skating, and was always in the right place - played smart and hence got the opportunities with his skill set to be the best. McDavid OTH, is fast, lightning fast on skates like no other, and can just put the puck on a dime for accuracy, and has tremendous control of his body and the handling the puck in and out of traffic - to watch him is simply amazing. So in that regard, both Gretz and McD are elite but not the same player, and played in different times.

Don't take my word for it, read what the experts and his co-players say about McD. The consensus seems to be that he is the best of his generation. It seems he does something truly great almost every game.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, thank you for the response. I have some reading to do.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Puck drop in 15 minutes versus Boston will not be a easy game for Edmonton. Boston is insane this year in each and every game.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    Hard to compare, NHL was a more open game back then - goalies having smaller equipment for keeping pucks out of the net, D's were not closing down the ice the way they do now as their game has improved in this way. I never watched Lemiux much, but Gretzky to me seemed to have very quick hands and reaction time, good speed and skating, and was always in the right place - played smart and hence got the opportunities with his skill set to be the best. McDavid OTH, is fast, lightning fast on skates like no other, and can just put the puck on a dime for accuracy, and has tremendous control of his body and the handling the puck in and out of traffic - to watch him is simply amazing. So in that regard, both Gretz and McD are elite but not the same player, and played in different times.

Don't take my word for it, read what the experts and his co-players say about McD. The consensus seems to be that he is the best of his generation. It seems he does something truly great almost every game.

It was actually a more closed off game back then. The Goalie equipment is much smaller now which makes it more offensive, the crease is much smaller now, the two line pass is legal, goalies arent allowed to play pucks in the corner, the hitting and goons are mostly a thing of the past, the trap game the Devils made famous has basically been eliminated etc. All of the rule changes have been with the goal of more offense.

McD is a stud for sure. It just seems a lot of people really dont appreciate just how good Gretzky was. Crosby and Ovi are the closest to matching him. It does need to be considered that Wayne played in a much more violent restricted offensive era

@Basebal21 said:
    It was actually a more closed off game back then. The Goalie equipment is much smaller now which makes it more offensive, the crease is much smaller now, the two line pass is legal, goalies arent allowed to play pucks in the corner, the hitting and goons are mostly a thing of the past, the trap game the Devils made famous has basically been eliminated etc. All of the rule changes have been with the goal of more offense.

McD is a stud for sure. It just seems a lot of people really dont appreciate just how good Gretzky was. Crosby and Ovi are the closest to matching him. It does need to be considered that Wayne played in a much more violent restricted offensive era .

Gretz if the perfect example of how good one can be by being 99.9% in skills compared to most talented but being the smartest player on the ice. Could he skate like McD? Could he play with the puck like McD? Well but only 0.1% less, but smart smart smart. Hence he is GOAT.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@Basebal21 said:

McD is a stud for sure. It just seems a lot of people really dont appreciate just how good Gretzky was. Crosby and Ovi are the closest to matching him. It does need to be considered that Wayne played in a much more violent restricted offensive era .

Gretz if the perfect example of how good one can be by being 99.9% in skills compared to most talented but being the smartest player on the ice. Could he skate like McD? Could he play with the puck like McD? Well but only 0.1% less, but smart smart smart. Hence he is GOAT.

I would bet that if they had played in the same era he could do everything McD does. McD is certainly an elite all time stick handler, if Wayne had the plyoballs and everything else for modern training it would be a nightmare for the D. Its hard for me to not say the modern players have an easier time offensively no matter how good they are and really do miss that goon aspect the NHL used to have. Patrick Roy staking to mid ice for goalie fights and attacking defense men was the peak of the NHL in my opinion

@Basebal21 said:

I would bet that if they had played in the same era he could do everything McD does. McD is certainly an elite all time stick handler, if Wayne had the plyoballs and everything else for modern training it would be a nightmare for the D. Its hard for me to not say the modern players have an easier time offensively no matter how good they are and really do miss that goon aspect the NHL used to have. Patrick Roy staking to mid ice for goalie fights and attacking defense men was the peak of the NHL in my opinion

Can you say Marty McSorley? ;)

Keep in mind tho' the talent surrounding Gretz when he was Oil - Mess, Anderson, Kurri, Coffey, Lowe, and on and on. It was mind boggling to watch, I am not sure McD has quite as much talent in the team around him. I never saw a team that could be bored to tears in the first and second periods then decide to win a game and score 5 goals in the 3rd, but that was the Oil back them, that good.