Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A Tier List for Coin Collecting. Thoughts & Feedback welcome!

Recently I had the opportunity to bid on a coin for my own collection and I was trying to decide how far I should stretch to try and get the coin. While doing that it made me think about different tier levels and where my collection would lie and how it would be outlined so I threw something together I thought I would share.

Most of my collection would fall in the tier 7 to 4 range I believe. The item I was bidding on would potentially be a tier one, but I sadly didn't win it, nor could I have. I did not have the funds for it.

There's also some friction in trying to give rare vs type collecting a ranking among each other but I think in general #1 should be specific to your own collection. Something that would be irreplaceable in whatever structure you give yourself.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

Comments

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like this!

You might have 2 columns to separate rarity from condition?

While I need to think more about it, maybe the rarity column would be an existing rarity scale.

• ClioClio Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    I really like this!

You might have 2 columns to separate rarity from condition?

While I need to think more about it, maybe the rarity column would be an existing rarity scale.

I think the 2 columns might be the way to go. Suppose some could have shared rows like tier 1 could be rarity and condition.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• 1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 7:36AM

How do I collect:
    1. It has to be my niche
    2. It has to be the best coin I can get, If better available I will replace it
    3. I need to get all the coins from my niche
    4. If extremely rare, the condition is less important, but see nr.2

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter