Home Sports Talk

MLB AL East prediction

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Source...insidethediamond.com

Well Red Sox Nation, it appears the pro prognosticators have our team in the cellar again. So much for the inept performance of one Chaim Bloom, who, IMO has done little to bolster the Red Sox roster, enabling the team to be competitive this year. I think Baltimore may well be the surprise team this year.

5. Boston Red Sox – 69-93 (78-84 in 2022, 5th in ALE)
The Red Sox 2022 offseason was nothing short of underwhelming. After losing superstar SS Xander Bogaerts, the Red Sox front office did little to try and match the production of the former Silver Slugger. Although Boston went out and got Japanese outfielder Masataka Yoshida, there weren’t many other additions that stood out. Speedster Adalberto Mondesi was acquired in a trade with the Kansas City Royals, and they signed free-agent Justin Turner, but that doesn’t make up for losing one of the best hitters in baseball. The Red Sox, also having a below-average pitching staff, look to regress heavily in 2023, placing last in the AL East yet again.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

No expectations is better than being disappointed

The Sox will be terrible and that's the bottom line

I literally will be rooting for the Yankees NOT to win a world series, that's pretty much it

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭

We shall see what happens shortly .
    I hope you are wrong!
    I don't think losing Bogaerts was that big a deal.
    Kiki will do fine there as long as he stays healthy.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Sox will not be good this season. I hope i am wrong

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭

Losing Bogaerts hurt, but hes not a super star. Manny/Othani/Arenado/Acuna etc those are super stars, Bogaerts is a very good player though. As far as the AL East, does it really matter? The Astros run the AL and nothing happened in the offseason to change that. Toronto could take the next step and win the division, but other than that its really a bunch of poorly constructed rosters in big markets

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2023 1:01PM

@Basebal21 said:
    Losing Bogaerts hurt, but hes not a super star. Manny/Othani/Arenado/Acuna etc those are super stars, Bogaerts is a very good player though. As far as the AL East, does it really matter? The Astros run the AL and nothing happened in the offseason to change that. Toronto could take the next step and win the division, but other than that its really a bunch of poorly constructed rosters in big markets

I get a kick out of the Blue Jay's, it's 1990's all over again with Guerrero. Biggio, and Bichette kids on the team

I think they got a 4th kid in there as well but not sure

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spring training standings

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

I get a kick out of the Blue Jay's, it's 1990's all over again with Guerrero. Biggio, and Bichette kids on the team

I think they got a 4th kid in there as well but not sure

You were probably thinking of Gurriel before they got rid of him. It really was basically their strategy to just draft sons of MLB players for a while. Valdy is obviously a monster, Bichette has lived up to the hype too, Biggo though is trash and is just there because of his last name.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:
    Spring training standings

And that stat really says nothing. The team is playing with so many wannabes that you only see a small handful of actual starters. Many times they use a split squad system, and one or two starters satisfy the crowds.

I think this link gives a clearer picture of who's doing what.
    https://www.mlb.com/redsox/stats/?page=2

I am excited about the Red Sox this upcoming season even if no one else is. Should be a much better team than last year.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I am excited about the Red Sox this upcoming season even if no one else is. Should be a much better team than last year.

Why?

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Source...insidethediamond.com

Well Red Sox Nation, it appears the pro prognosticators have our team in the cellar again. So much for the inept performance of one Chaim Bloom, who, IMO has done little to bolster the Red Sox roster, enabling the team to be competitive this year. I think Baltimore may well be the surprise team this year.

Not likely. After last year expectations should be pretty high for Baltimore. I'm not saying 91-71 would exactly be a disappointment, but I expect them to contend for the division title and at least win a wild card. More than 95 wins might be a surprise.

@tommyrusty7 said:

Should be a much better team than last year.

Exactly what makes you think that? Almost every article I've read puts the Sox in last place, or close to it.

I kinda think you just enjoy watching the Red Sox (whoever they are or may be), play baseball. Nothing wrong with that, but, reality is reality.

@MCMLVTopps said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

Should be a much better team than last year.

Exactly what makes you think that? Almost every article I've read puts the Sox in last place, or close to it.

I kinda think you just enjoy watching the Red Sox (whoever they are or may be), play baseball. Nothing wrong with that, but, reality is reality.

I tend to agree. The Red Sox just simply arent a good team. The lineup is bad, the defense is bad, the rotation is atrocious, etc. The AL and the AL East they could make a run of it, but its more just a statement on how many owners are just pocketing money than anything

I really like some of the kids that are coming up this year. I don't expect them to win the World Series but they will win more games than they lose in my opinion.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I follow them, but since Youtubetv dropped NESN, I havent been able to watch them on a daily basis. just radio and box scores for me.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@craig44 said:
    I follow them, but since Youtubetv dropped NESN, I havent been able to watch them on a daily basis. just radio and box scores for me.

Geez, can you not at least upgrade to get the MLB channel? For me, it's channel 213, I have Directv and live in the Atlanta area.

Of course, you may well know that getting that channel incurs a tier system tax to just get that channel, It's a 5 tier system, and lucky me, I'm in tier 5, and get the pleasure of shelling out $13.90 per month just to get MLB channel. I had a weak moment and signed up for the MLB package this year, so I get almost all the games.

edited March 9, 2023 8:20AM

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I really like some of the kids that are coming up this year. I don't expect them to win the World Series but they will win more games than they lose in my opinion.

Who are the "kids" that you really like, and what positions do you think they'll play this year?

I think losing Bogaerts was a big deal. He was a key link at SS and Hernandez will have very big shoes to fill. A 4 time All Star, considered by many, if not all sports writers to be the best shortstop in the game.

Bogaerts was a good shortstop but certainly not the best in the game.

Hernandez will do fine there.

The young pitchers, I don't remember names, look good.

Casas looks good at first and will hit much better than Dalbec who probably won't make the team.

The catching should be ok with McGwire..

Third base is strong and second will be ok.

DH will depend on that new Japanese player who should be an improvement over Martinez who sucked last year.

The outfield is where they need Tapia and Duran to step up.

Sorry I can't remember names as the mind is not what it used to be many long years ago.

I hate direct tv but keep it just because of it being the only venue that I can get to watch the Sox.

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Bogaerts was a good shortstop but certainly not the best in the game.

Hernandez will do fine there.

The young pitchers, I don't remember names, look good.

Casas looks good at first and will hit much better than Dalbec who probably won't make the team.

The catching should be ok with McGwire..

Third base is strong and second will be ok.

DH will depend on that new Japanese player who should be an improvement over Martinez who sucked last year.

The outfield is where they need Tapia and Duran to step up.

Sorry I can't remember names as the mind is not what it used to be many long years ago.

I hate direct tv but keep it just because of it being the only venue that I can get to watch the Sox.

McGwire is the backup and cant hit his way out of a paper bag.

Their rotation would be good if it was 5 years ago, Sale, Paxton, Kluber just keep suffering major injuries over and over. Theres a chance they could prove everyone wrong and put together a healthy year, but its very unlikely.

Bogaerts was objectively a bad defensive SS but obviously his bat made up for it. He was adiment about remaining at SS but we will see if the 300 mil from SD changed his mind. They would be smart to keep Kim at SS, move Bogi to 2nd or first and put Tatis in CF but that seems rather unlikely. That said theres a huge drop off from Bogi to Kiki, Kiki is just not a SS and is a below average hitter as well.

The one thing the Red Sox have going for them is that theyre in the AL. Aside from the Astros the AL is very weak overall. The Yankees have very little pitching and basically live and die off the production of Stanton/Judge/Rizzo and two of the three almost always get hurt at some point, Baltimore isnt a good team, the Rays get rid of everyone. and Toronto while interesting still has a lot of issues of their own.

Theres a good chance Boston will back their way into a wild card spot simply because someone has to fill those spots assuming the team doesnt resemble a hospital with all their injuries

I still think Kiki will do ok at shortstop as he really wants to play there.
    The Sox have other shortstops in the minors who will be getting experience as the year goes on if he can't make it.
    The pitching situation has plenty of talent coming up now so Paxton and Kluber have some backup.
    I think Sale will have a great year.

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I still think Kiki will do ok at shortstop as he really wants to play there.
    The Sox have other shortstops in the minors who will be getting experience as the year goes on if he can't make it.
    The pitching situation has plenty of talent coming up now so Paxton and Kluber have some backup.
    I think Sale will have a great year.

I like Sale, but I think hes probably at the end of his career or at least the end of dominance. He really hasnt has a good year since like 2018. Aside from being on the wrong side of 30 for pro sports, hes so crazy skinny that its hard to see his body holding up a whole lot longer.

Defensively theres shouldnt be a huge difference with Kiki, but there will be a major one in the lineup offensively.