Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Wildman Wednesday. It's been too long since we got naked, hairy, and wild.

So post 'em if you got 'em!

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some folks should have some nice Wildman newps after this Stack's auction ends.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@neildrobertson said:
    Some folks should have some nice Wildman newps after this Stack's auction ends.

Some amazing pieces coming up!

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got to get one of these into my collection soon.
    Great coins everyone.

Wonderful tone on these pieces.

--Severian the Lame
  • ELuisELuis Posts: 807 ✭✭✭✭

I like the design on these coins, how about this one?

• BSmithBSmith Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:
    Nice @RedSeals ! Here's another Hannover/Great Britain Wildman similar to yours, but with order of the Garter on the back.

I love the reverse on that one>

I should probably get mine reholdered at some point. The above photograph gives it a museum appearance with nothing around it. But it's not exactly practical:

--Severian the Lame
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2022 8:11PM

@ELuis said:

Those calves tho....

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:

@ELuis said:

Those calves tho....

Wildman definitely didn't skip leg day at the gym.

Follow up question: Does my guy's tree also look suspiciously like an arquebus? An Harquebusier like those shown below would have been about period-correct mid-17th century, concurrent with this thaler.

--Severian the Lame
  • BSmithBSmith Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:
    Here's my favorite wildman pic:

Wow, that's a nicely matched set, all have great eye appeal.

@ELuis said:

And I just got the coin in hand a few days ago, very nice!

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of a different one here - some "Notgeld" from 1921.

My current "Box of 20"

• numismagramnumismagram Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

There will be another great selection of these types in the upcoming Stack's Bowers NYINC sale, around 50 in the live portion of the sale and around 150 in the internet portion. The live sale is getting finalized this week, so it should be posting next week.

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@numismagram said:
    There will be another great selection of these types in the upcoming Stack's Bowers NYINC sale, around 50 in the live portion of the sale and around 150 in the internet portion. The live sale is getting finalized this week, so it should be posting next week.

Dang, that's a lot of hairy wildmen

@numismagram said:

Hmmm, thanks for the info... maybe we need to turn down the interest in this thread in these coins until after the sale! Don't want any competition!

Nothing to see here, move along. :smile:

My current "Box of 20"

Those SB auctions just popped - there's a fair few there for me to review. In the meantime, here are some better pictures of two from my collage:

My current "Box of 20"

Any body pick up new stuff from the SB auction? I have just the one - I just liked the look:

My current "Box of 20"

• BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2023 3:06AM

That’s a great coin (DEFINITELY has the look.) My handful of Wildmen bids fell a little short. Did manage to win some other lots at SB though, all in all a successful NYINC.

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson

On the first one that I bought of this and posted here, came up as:

224899 1734-IAB 2/3 Th KM-229 Genuine (98 - Damage) Bruns-C-H

Did not expect that, on the images an at hand did not saw that, but guess it is my lack of knowlege on this type of coins. It will go to the BST or other place where I can sell it, as soon I get it back from PCGS.

@ELuis said:
    On the first one that I bought of this and posted here, came up as:

224899 1734-IAB 2/3 Th KM-229 Genuine (98 - Damage) Bruns-C-H

Did not expect that, on the images an at hand did not saw that, but guess it is my lack of knowlege on this type of coins. It will go to the BST or other place where I can sell it, as soon I get it back from PCGS.

I'm not an expert by any means on these pieces or on PCGS damage codes. But if someone were asking me to find the damage, the only thing I'd suggest is that your coin seems to have rim issues consistent with having been mounted for jewelry at one time. Ex-jewelry is a common condition issue for attractive or interesting coins. The damage can manifest in rubbed or clipped rims, often in symmetrical patterns (12:00, 6:00, 9:00, 3:00).
    I personally don't think it's a distraction. But a problem coin can be bothersome.

--Severian the Lame

@Weiss said:
    I'm not an expert by any means on these pieces or on PCGS damage codes. But if someone were asking me to find the damage, the only thing I'd suggest is that your coin seems to have rim issues consistent with having been mounted for jewelry at one time. Ex-jewelry is a common condition issue for attractive or interesting coins. The damage can manifest in rubbed or clipped rims, often in symmetrical patterns (12:00, 6:00, 9:00, 3:00).
    I personally don't think it's a distraction. But a problem coin can be bothersome.

Thank you, too bad that on the site where I bougth the coin they did not mention anything other than find the condition by yourself, but anyways another one to learned from.

@ELuis - I agree with @Weiss . Wait til you get the coin back and the code 98 might be "Mount Removed" or something similar. I've had a couple coins that came back like that. I submitted the coins and couldn't really find any edge tampering that I could see (it is tough once the coins are holdered).

In the end I realized that I needed to look at some details coins for my collection - because you can get a really beautiful coin at a discount. Here's my "damaged" wildman taler:

My current "Box of 20"

edited January 25, 2023 10:32AM

@Bob13 I looked at the grading standards and does not provide more description just 'damage', and by the way since some of my latest submittals, I started to select the checkbox: Do Not Holder Genuine

And yes the coin in hand even with this detail it is a beautiful coin.

So as some of my previous coins that came up with details, I went and put them on the BST as a lot, will see.

At least from the 11 coins that I submitted, only 4 came up with details, since was an express service it is just some more money to the drain...

@Bob13 said:
    @ELuis - I agree with @Weiss . Wait til you get the coin back and the code 98 might be "Mount Removed" or something similar. I've had a couple coins that came back like that. I submitted the coins and couldn't really find any edge tampering that I could see (it is tough once the coins are holdered).

In the end I realized that I needed to look at some details coins for my collection - because you can get a really beautiful coin at a discount. Here's my "damaged" wildman taler:

I don't see anything obvious on that one, @Bob13 .
    I think we sometimes have unrealistic expectations for coins made 300 or 400 years ago. Of course the majority of the survivors saw use. Our modern numismatic standards are unfairly applied to people whose idea of collecting and preserving coins was literally to put them in a mount so they could be spared from use and appreciated as works of art.

--Severian the Lame

@Weiss said:

Our modern numismatic standards are unfairly applied to people whose idea of collecting and preserving coins was literally to put them in a mount so they could be spared from use and appreciated as works of art.

I agreed - Kudos for that.

• Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

I heard about the man who collected coins with holes. And he had the rarest coins. I don't collect it but if he was happy that is good. If you like the coin what can you want else.

Peace.

• Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2023 11:34AM

And one thing. I am looking for chinese auctions and here it's something. Why did somebody pay for it? "Genuine nor gradable". Maybe they don't trust pcgs))... The value about $600.

Peace.

• StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Excuse the not-great cell phone shots, but I have one to share.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.

Here's another newp wildman. It's a so-called Rebel Taler. The reverse has a reference to Numbers chapter 16 (you can faintly see where it says NUMB XVI) which is in reference to a rebellion by Korah against Moses -> "And fire came forth from the LORD, and devoured" Korah and his followers. Ouch.

This piece is holed and repaired. But, it is darn nice looking for the type, and I was very pleased to receive it in hand today.

My current "Box of 20"

• numismagramnumismagram Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

Glad you like the Rebel Taler, @Bob13! The Knepper Collection has been a fun, interesting, and rather expansive one to catalog. There will be some more examples from the collection appearing in the May CCO at Stack's Bowers.

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

@numismagram - Thanks for the info! The Knepper Collection has been huge... and I've been happy with couple pieces I have picked up so far. Do you have any more info about where/how the collection was assembled?

My current "Box of 20"

It's been a while.... here's a newp.

My current "Box of 20"

Love how the doubling of his forearm makes it look like he's, uhm, yanking the tree branch.
    If you know what I mean.

--Severian the Lame

I hadn't noticed that before. Now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it!

My current "Box of 20"

This one is on its way to me now. Lower grade but I like the crusty color.

My current "Box of 20"

• BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

These beastly coins are a possible source of addiction and compulsive spending for me. Gotta watch it!

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • SimonWSimonW Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2023 9:36PM

I finally broke down and bought one. Probably a pretty common one, but from what I could tell it’s the only one graded by either service. I liked the originality and while I would prefer the full size Thaler, I see a lot of them in oversized holders, this one will fit in my box.😂

PCGS AU55

(I know it’s not Wednesday, but 🤷‍♂️)

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 24 Mariengroschen. It's the largest denomination minted in many of the years and appeared to have been made in larger quantities. It gives the impression of being a coin that saw more circulation than the thaler. That Era is affordable, relatively speaking. I've ended up with half a dozen of them just because I feel that way.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

Any new wildmen out there? Got a couple updated modern interpretation of this motif, one in zinc, one in silver.

My current "Box of 20"

edited February 21, 2024 2:13PM

@ELuis said:

Very nice samples so far posted here for sure.

No new coin for me, I end up selling my only coin of this type for $80 bucks a lost for what I paid.

Still will give it another try-out one of these days and hope to buy one again.