Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

2023 U.K. Britannias

Last for the queen, first for the king:

Comments

• DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Have both. There seems to be other 2023 coins with the Queen's portrait as well.

• OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Proof version available now

• tahbb143tahbb143 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2023 3:19PM

the reverse design for the commemorative proofs is beautiful!

one of my favorite designs I've seen from the royal mint, or any other world mint recently for that matter

what do the rest of you think? yay? nay?

I picked up the "frosted" proof / rev "frosted" proof 2 coin set.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the general concept, BUT Britannia looks to be a bit of a bitter old lady - she needed a more youthful and energetic visage. I do like the rest of it and slavishly bought the 1 and 5 oz proofs....Silver of course...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

@7Jaguars said:
    I really like the general concept, BUT Britannia looks to be a bit of a bitter old lady - she needed a more youthful and energetic visage. I do like the rest of it and slavishly bought the 1 and 5 oz proofs....Silver of course...

Agreed that the face doesn't seem to be modeled correctly to get the visage across seen in the concept illustrations

Nice on the 5 oz. That's one of my favorite ones to get.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 4:32PM

@7Jaguars said:

It’s England, what do you want? 😈

I kinda like it. Much better than the mid-2000s designs.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2023 3:40PM

@DoubleDime said:
    Have both. There seems to be other 2023 coins with the Queen's portrait as well.

A few of my Australian Rabbit coins for 2023 all have the queen on them.

Pruebas, they just did not seem to finish this coin and Jeremy (what is his name again?) did not design this one - have you seen the rendition in gold? YUCK!).
    Love the hippocampi and all though; shame about Charlie and the dumbo ears which I guess can not be avoided.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

They say the ears never stop growing. Maybe @Abuelo knows for sure?

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    They say the ears never stop growing. Maybe @Abuelo knows for sure?

LOL cartilage will stop growing,

• Never mind the ever growing ears, look for the parrot/budgie in the portrait - in his ear. Once you have seen it you can never unsee it….bizarre.

@tahbb143 said:
    the reverse design for the commemorative proofs is beautiful!

one of my favorite designs I've seen from the royal mint, or any other world mint recently for that matter
    what do the rest of you think? yay? nay?

I agree that it’s a beautiful design. Lot of comments from people trying to be witty, but I think the Britannia looks great. I also grabbed the two coin set and a 4 coin fractional reverse proof set

@Orlena said:

I agree that it’s a beautiful design. Lot of comments from people trying to be witty, but I think the Britannia looks great. I also grabbed the two coin set and a 4 coin fractional reverse proof set

Whoa. Where did you pick up a 4 coin fractional reverse proof set? lpm? Haven't seen that on offer anywhere.

Account manager, but a place called KoinClub also has them for a reasonable price

@Orlena said:
    Account manager, but a place called KoinClub also has them for a reasonable price

thanks!

I am not trying to be witty, I am just saying that the visage of Britannia was poorly executed and does not convey a sense of vigor or youth at all, and Charles' ear is problematic.

• KdennisonKdennison Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

@Orlena said:

I've used them and I've been pleased. I live in the US.