Home Sports Talk

Derek Carr.

MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please convince me that Derek Carr should be considered as a starting QB. Please convince me that he should be paid anywhere near $35 million/year. Please convince me that he should be doing anything besides holding a clipboard next season as he hopes for an injury and some playing time.

Please convince me as I wait for the breaking news that he's been signed by the Washington Commanders.

Maywood.

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

There probably arent 31 QBs better. So he should be a starter.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's no Kirk Cousins, that's for sure 😂

Funny thing, Washington let Kirk go and now have Carr?

Seriously, it will be hard to convince you that Carr "deserves" to be a starter making that kind of money.

To argue the point in reverse; how many actual great, proven QB's are there right now, and how many are available? The draft is always a gamble.

Washington has been playing with back up QB's for the last few years. Take it from someone who went through it...........you get impatient.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Commanders, where I assume he'll end up, could do better for the money they'll pay him by building the team and using one of the "serviceable game managers" available until they are positioned to draft their QB of the future. That's what I thought the Browns should have done for well over a decade but they used 1st pick after first pick for Mr. failure.

I am no geniuse and certainly have the gift of hindsight in my favor, but that would have worked better for them. So it is with Washington: if they choose to go with Carr it will not end well.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Carr couldn't be successful in LA I highly doubt he will be in Washington

Not a fan of him at all really

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

"until they are positioned to draft their QB of the future" what does that even mean? The Browns had the #1 pick in the draft in 2018 and chose a QB. Sadly, they just got it wrong. Choosing between Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, and Rosen.
    Unfortunately, only one of those top college QBs turned out to be any good. Not sure how the Browns could have reasonable done anything different (other than to pick the right guy), they have only drafted one QB out of their last 10 1st round picks. That is basically the exact strategy you called for.

Robb

Even when Washington got it right with RGlll, he ended up getting hurt.
    Carr should be an improvement over Minnesota Vikings ex back ups.
    Washington's defense was very good 2 out of the last 3 years, maybe they feel a good (?) starting QB will make them a contender.
    Moving on to the money, what can you say? Established starters cost a lot of money.
    Lastly, to pick out one guy who is supposed to be SO GREAT, Dallas' Prescott hasn't done much and he makes HUGE $.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    edited March 1, 2023 5:43AM

@JoeBanzai said:
    Washington's defense was very good 2 out of the last 3 years, maybe they feel a good (?) starting QB will make them a contender.
    Moving on to the money, what can you say? Established starters cost a lot of money.
    Lastly, to pick out one guy who is supposed to be SO GREAT, Dallas' Prescott hasn't done much and he makes HUGE $.

Carr, Prescott or Cousins

Who would you want as your QB going forward?

@fergie23..........................

--- How many quarterbacks have the Browns drafted since 1999? These guys were all taken as projected starters although not all as first round/top picks. Suffice as to say while they searched they failed, hoping to use the top pick in the draft for a Quarterback is about the same as going to Las Vegas, a real crap-shoot and not very successful overall.

Baker Mayfield
    Spergon Wynn.
    Luke McCown.
    Johnny Manziel.
    Brady Quinn.
    Charlie Frye.
    Brandon Weedon.
    Cody Kessler.
    Tim Couch.

they have only drafted one QB out of their last 10 1st round picks. That is basically the exact strategy you called for

And that strategy worked better than anything in the preceding years, they improved and actually made it to the playoffs with the future looking bright. The downfall was mismanagement by an inept Head Coach who's future should expire in the next 10 months. Washington should spend the $35 million saved by not signing Carr on other areas of the team.

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Haven't seen much of Carr, Prescott the most athletic and Cousins best pure passer and never gets hurt.
    Any of these guys are fine if you give them a good defense.
    Prescott is 5 years younger than Cousins, so I'll take him without much enthusiasm.

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Haven't seen much of Carr, Prescott the most athletic and Cousins best pure passer and never gets hurt.
    Any of these guys are fine if you give them a good defense.
    Prescott is 5 years younger than Cousins, so I'll take him without much enthusiasm.

Sounds about right

edited March 6, 2023 4:57PM

Well, it looks like the Commanders have been bailed out by the Saints to the tune of four years @ $37.5million each!!! It's hard to believe that such mediocrity as Derek Carr can command that much.

edited March 7, 2023 4:51AM

https://fansided.com/2023/03/06/nfl-rumors-baker-mayfield-rams-49ers-bucs/

Next up is Baker Mayfield, apparently teams are interested in him as a free agent, I doubt he will get as much as Carr but we shall see

Mayfield probably has more years ahead of him than Carr and coming out of college he probably had more upside potential for a good career. Both have squandered valuable years but a lot of that is due to the players around them and the management directing them. It may be too late for either to salvage the playing time they have left.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saints will be a contender in their division this year with Carr. It was a perfect fit for all parties.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

lots of money, but he will play decently.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    https://fansided.com/2023/03/06/nfl-rumors-baker-mayfield-rams-49ers-bucs/

Next up is Baker Mayfield, apparently teams are interested in him as a free agent, I doubt he will get as much as Carr but we shall see

Mayfield has been consistently at the lowest end of starting qb's for qb rating and qbr since he came into the league (finished dead last this year in starting qb qbr). Had a good game or 2 for the Rams but then reverted back to bottom feeder his last 2 games, that is the way he is, that is the way he is going to be. Who on Earth would even think about paying him more than 3rd string? No way and no how will he take a team to the promised land. Oh wait, maybe that what teams are looking for - downward spiral to a top 2 draft pick to get an elite qb in the draft. Still why pay too much for this sub-mediocre qb?

Here are his last few games. Seriously? The guy is no better than me at qb - you really gotta try to get down to a 9.4 QBR in a game, that takes serious effort.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Mayfield has strengths that are rarely played to, Carr's strength seems to be the long ball. Here's the comparison when the two played each other last season.

@2dueces said:
    Saints will be a contender in their division this year with Carr. It was a perfect fit for all parties.

I have no idea how your coming up with this, the Raiders had a far better team and failed miserably

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

I have no idea how your coming up with this, the Raiders had a far better team and failed miserably

He is right that the Saints should (keyword should) be the instant favorites to win their division with Carr. The Raiders not only treated Carr horribly, but they also play is a much much better division. Tampa won the NFC South last year with a losing record, even with all the Raiders problems last year they would have won that division

edited March 7, 2023 10:39AM

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

He is right that the Saints should (keyword should) be the instant favorites to win their division with Carr. The Raiders not only treated Carr horribly, but they also play is a much much better division. Tampa won the NFC South last year with a losing record, even with all the Raiders problems last year they would have won that division

How did they treat him.poorly?

They benched him with 2 weeks left in the season, if that's what your referring too then sure that was not all that nice but it's a business first.

Other than that I'm just not seeing how the Saints have a better overall team than Vegas, maybe the D is a touch better but overall I'm not sure

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

They benched him with 2 weeks left in the season, if that's what your referring too then sure that was not all that nice but it's a business first.

Other than that I'm just not seeing how the Saints have a better overall team than Vegas, maybe the D is a touch better but overall I'm not sure

There was a lot of behind the scenes stuff and even once it was clear they were moving on they still kept treating him with little to no respect. Its funny because in the end it only hurt the Raiders as they would only let him talk to the Saints about a trade and I respect him immensely for rejecting the trade forcing the Raiders to cut him and get nothing for him. The Davis family will always be the Davis family and ruin that team when things get to good.

The NFC South is god awful. Tampa is old and has no QB, ATL is well ATL, Panthers are in rebuild mode and traded everyone, the Saints absolutely should win that division with Carr.

Carr iis still a better than average QB and the Saints are instant favorites for that division with him

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

There was a lot of behind the scenes stuff and even once it was clear they were moving on they still kept treating him with little to no respect. Its funny because in the end it only hurt the Raiders as they would only let him talk to the Saints about a trade and I respect him immensely for rejecting the trade forcing the Raiders to cut him and get nothing for him. The Davis family will always be the Davis family and ruin that team when things get to good.

The NFC South is god awful. Tampa is old and has no QB, ATL is well ATL, Panthers are in rebuild mode and traded everyone, the Saints absolutely should win that division with Carr.

Carr iis still a better than average QB and the Saints are instant favorites for that division with him

Due to the situation in the division I can get behind this but winning playoff games is a whole different animal, a team winning the division because the rest of the teams are a joke doesn't mean the winner is a contender though

That is my point, Carr is not bringing that team far into the playoffs

I doubt Carr can get the Saints to being a Division winner. That is based on the presumption that the other teams will stand still and that Carr will perform better than Andy Dalton. For all the cash "wasted" on Carr I have a solution: spend that money on other position talent and figure out the value of Taysom Hill as a starting QB.

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

Due to the situation in the division I can get behind this but winning playoff games is a whole different animal, a team winning the division because the rest of the teams are a joke doesn't mean the winner is a contender though

That is my point, Carr is not bringing that team far into the playoffs

I dont think they'll win a Super Bowl by any means, but thats more of a reflection of the roster than him. I do think they could win a playoff game or two since anything can happen in one game and he/they are good enough to knock someone off. They're clearly not ready to roll over and trade all their pieces and I wouldnt be either in that division

@Maywood said:
    I doubt Carr can get the Saints to being a Division winner. That is based on the presumption that the other teams will stand still and that Carr will perform better than Andy Dalton. For all the cash "wasted" on Carr I have a solution: spend that money on other position talent and figure out the value of Taysom Hill as a starting QB.

Everyone knows the value of Taysom Hill as a starting QB, its 0. Hes a 33 year old 3rd string backup that gets in games every now and then and is terrible when he plays.