Home Q & A Forum

!831 U.S Quarter; I'm stumped as to variety

Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Hello, Everyone.

I've got my copy of Browning's "The Early Quarter Dollars" in front of me and I can't seem to match my coin (which has seen many years in action) with either of the 6 varieties...not including "B-7". My guess would be #2 as the last 1 in the date seems to line up with the left of the curl as stated in the description. On the reverse, the 2 has the flat base. Also, it has the short top to the 5 in 25 C. However, the arrow feathers above the 5 don't line up the same on my coin and the photo of #2. #3 has the arrows above the 5 lining up on my coin and in the photo but the top of the 5 is not short. I have ruled out #1,4, 5, 6 and B-7 mainy because of the lining up of the last 1 and the lowest curl and they all have the longer top to the 5. I'll be listing this coin ultimately on E-Bay as it isn't my type set example, but I want to make sure I don't have that magical "unlisted variety". 🤣

Interesting how the obverse is maybe a VG 10 and the reverse is a Fair 3. Weak strike? Grease jammed in there? I guess this is the ultimate "split grade" but I really haven't seen that term in use much recently.

Thanks very much!!!!

Piano1

Comments

• Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Ooooops. The title for my post above should read 1831 instead of !831. Darned shift button thingy!!! And, if that isn't enough, the Fair 3 should be AG 3! I guess my new lobotomy hasn't kicked in yet! So sorry. 😆
    Piano1