Home Sports Talk

Thoughts on Stetson Bennett?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

He won back to back national championships at Georgia but has been a little controversial off the field, he kind of reminds me of Baker Mayfield at Oklahoma, a bit of a rebellious attitude. It's going to be interesting to see him in the NFL.

Heading into NFL draft, Georgia's Stetson Bennett IV only creating more questions about himself

INDIANAPOLIS – There were always going to be doubts about Stetson Bennett IV's viability as an NFL quarterback.

But at a time when the former Georgia star should be riding high coming off a pair of national championships over the past two seasons, he's only seemed to create more questions about himself heading into the 2023 draft.

Friday, Bennett faced fairly quiet music – as opposed to what he's hearing from prospective employers – while responding to reporters gathered at his scouting combine interview. One of the first questions was about his January arrest in Dallas for public intoxication, the Athens Banner-Herald recently revealing he hid behind a brick wall in an attempt to evade police officers.

"It was a mistake everybody’s aware of. I understand, you know, why that can’t happen," Bennett said. "I’ve talked to coaches about it, talked to GMs. Apologized to my family – that’s who I felt worse about. I felt like I let them down, because no matter where I go now – and even without all this – I’ve got an obligation. I'm the Fourth. Can’t do that if your last name is Bennett. And I know better.”

He apologized again to Georgia fans who felt he was more engaged with his phone than them during the Bulldogs' victory parade in Athens, Georgia. Bennett said he was managing a music playlist for his teammates and not ignoring UGA supporters.

He was also asked about skipping the Senior Bowl, its practices and game occurring in the days following his arrest.

"It was more so the Shrine Bowl, it wasn’t really the Senior Bowl," said Bennett. "I really wanted to play in it. There was a lot going on at the moment. I discussed with people that are close to me, asked advice, decided that I needed to go train – I need to get better. But I do wish that I could have but just ultimately decided that the other was the better choice."

Quite a lot to answer for – and simply in the time period following Georgia's 65-7 thrashing of TCU for the national title on January 9. (Bennett skipped the next morning's news conference, telling ESPN's Scott Van Pelt following the win, “I told them when the whistle sounds, my obligations to the media are done to the University of Georgia. ... I’m going to go have fun and celebrate.”)

It's even more dismaying given Bennett's experience and presumed maturity – the 25-year-old started 32 games for Georgia – should be viewed as positive attributes going into the NFL.

Now, he finds himself explaining his judgment at a time when he should merely be trying to prove that a 5-11, 190-pounder who was surrounded by enough collegiate talent to compete in the NFC South (maybe?) should get a shot in a league that falls in love with size, athleticism and arm strength at his position this time of year.

Bennett revealed that his combine meeting with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a team in search of quarterback help, was at least partially focused on his character.

"They asked me some questions, wondered about the incident," he admitted. "Answered them. Asked me about football. Asked me about life, trying to figure out who I was. I thought it went well."

Saturday, 32 clubs will be watching how it goes on Lucas Oil Stadium's field. Bennett said part of his recent training objectives had been trying to work on throws that scouts at the combine would want to see.

Yet he knows he won't have the competitive advantage from a roster standpoint in the NFL that he did at Georgia, where Bennett was rarely touched, and that he may have to get used to holding a clipboard.

"I’ve never been a wave causer or anything like that," he said. "I keep my head down. I play ball. And so, whatever’s asked of me is what’s asked of me. My job, when I get there, regardless, you’ve got to be the best player to play. And I know there’s more to that probably here, but at the end of the day that’s all you can control. So, that’s what I’ll do."

And he understands he may not get as many cracks in the pros as he did with Georgia.

“The way I see it, you only get one of these, man," he said. "Lives. I’m playing football right now. I’m going to try to do it to the best of my ability. That doesn’t mean try really hard. That means figure out, ‘Is this the right area to try hard at? Or is this one?’ What's the best area, figure it out and then give 1,000% there."

Time will tell whether that will be sufficient.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm more concerned with his size than anything else.

He is 25 years old and got arrested for being drunk and disorderly, not a big deal in my opinion.

I wouldn't draft him for my team, nor would I draft Bryce Young either

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2023 1:29PM

He's going to have to be very careful and work hard, or he may end up like Baker Mayfield, and nobody wants to see that happen.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2023 2:53PM

My thoughts?..... Interesting name..Stetson. Reminds me of the time that an MLB scout suggested to me that one of my players should change his first name if he wants to get drafted. Any guesses as to what his name is?.....Well, he didn't change his name and he did get drafted......
    People are weird....Real, Real weird.....Strange.

Maybe "Stetson" only got as far as he did because he has such a COOL name.....

A little off topic but this reminds me of the time when I met a young ball player and his mother. It was in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The kid's name was Remington. I asked the lady why she named him Remington...... Oh, Baby!....What was I thinking?

She told me that her and her husband were camping out and in their tent doing the " Horizontal Mombo" and they heard a gunshot.

Shortly after, she was with child. So,.....Naturally they named the boy,....Remington!.... Just Like The Bullet!...Makes perfect sense..... What Was I Thinking?

Makes Perfect Sense....

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

She told me that her and her husband were camping out and in their tent doing the " Horizontal Mombo" and they heard a gunshot.

one of these days i'm going to be strong enough not to read these little anecdotes

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live about a 45 miniute drive from Athens, home of the UGA bulldogs. Of course the local news is all over the Stetson issues. All I can say to this is that Stetson better wake up and see that he has (maybe) a bright future in the NFL.

His drinking isn't gonna win him any good PR with any team. Hoepfully he gets a grip and doesn't turn into a Johnny Manziel.
    Manziel who self-imploded with uber-hubris, and after the Browns dumped him after 2 seasons, he wallowed in a number of football teams that would be considered maybe Class A baseball league teams. Now his thing is to be a professional golfer, and has self-proclaimed he's gonna give it 12 years to see if he can cut it.

Stetson...dump the ego, dump the booze and get a clue!!

I've seen it before, the ego, the next thing you know he'll be at press conferences, "You're talking to the Rolex wearin', diamond ring wearin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin', limousine ridin', jet flyin' son of a gun. Woooooo!"

edited March 4, 2023 6:23PM

@galaxy27 said:

one of these days i'm going to be strong enough not to read these little anecdotes

Personally, I enjoy little anecdotes.... Especially the one's you post , Galixico, about your girlfriend and your experiences out on the links.......Maybe it's just because I'm so strong..... Mentally and Physically that I can take it... Nothing I have control over....Just the gift of superior genetics......I thank my Mom and Dad for that......They were strong people. Extremely good looking and real smart too!

I Owe It All To Them

Bye, Bye....

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

5'10"/207lbs. --- Kyler Murray.

5'11"/190lbs. --- Stetson Bennett.
    5'10"/204lbs. --- Bryce Young.

These three are essentially the same player. If I base an opinion of how Murray has performed in the NFL I'd be hesitant to draft either Young or Bennett due to their size. It matters little what they've done in the NCAA or whether they played in a "pro-style" system during that time, the NFL is just a different animal. I don't see either of the two having very much success in the NFL but I don't think that will stop them from being drafted early in the 1st round.

CJ Stroud and Will Levis should both draft higher based on both their skill and size.

edited March 4, 2023 9:24PM

You're Cruel Dragon Master....
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

@Hydrant said:

You're Cruel Dragon Master....
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Don't mind me, just getting a little revenge, for a Panthers season lost.