Home Q & A Forum

Bicentennial quarter 1776-1976 filled d doubling very noticable

Good error coin?? Any value? Or worth doubling on both sides it looks like need help guys what u think? That w u can see almost with the unassisted eye

Answers

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are only 2 known doubled dies for a 1976 D, it must match the photos exactly.
    With doubling on both sides it sounds more like machine doubling. ;)

http://www.varietyvista.com/09b WQ Vol 2/DDOs 1976-D.htm

• Is my picture too low quality to tell or do u think it's not ut

I have owned 3 of the DDO #1 and I can tell from your photo it's not one of those.
    The DDO #2 is harder to see and your photo quality is not good enough to tell.
    As I mentioned with doubling on both sides it sounds more like machine doubling, neither of the DDO's have a DDR. ;)

• Machine doubling is purposely done where it looks nice or is it a type of error that's not really worth anything??

It's not purposely done, it's not an error and it's not worth anything.

It is a mechanical problem with the coin press and the dies.
    After striking many coins the dies can work their way lose, lose dies can move and make secondary contact with the coin.
    It is a common occurrence on all denominations.

• Okay i got some better shots of the bicentennial quarter i just need ur opinnion on the w. What would u call that machine? double die or double strike. It would clear alot up for me so when u get a chamce. Im gonna send a couple pics.

The only thing I am seeing on the W is PMD. ;)

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not seeing any die doubling. I have owned two examples of the DDO FS-101, and this is not it.