Home Sports Talk

Whatever happened to newspapers?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember when we used to get our sports from a newspaper, do they still exist?

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

They sure do but on a much less scale, my local paper only prints Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

I remember the best day for the paper was Monday with all the stats from Sunday football

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man, the NFL offseason is killing me.

@doubledragon said:

It's your part time job but full time commitment brother!

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

About 6 months to go, I'll never make it!

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

With our support you will!!!

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

With our support you will!!!

Thanks buddy, I need all the support I can get! 🖒

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

The USA Today was always a favorite

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an opinion on your question DD, but it has nothing to do with the sports world and I'll keep it at that.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Newspapers went the way of handlebar mustaches, gone baby gone....................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Back in the day I used to buy my local newspaper a lot, but with the the rise of internet there's really no point these days. I can just about do everything online, shop, get sports news, play video games, listen to music. I used to go to the movies a lot but now I just wait for the movie to be streamed, it's crazy how the internet has taken over.

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

DD
    There is always plenty of material if you just go to Georgia and Alabama college athletic Dept criminal behaviour.
    Just trying to help.

Have a nice day
  • tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭

Newspapers are dying fast like the dodo bird.. The price is up to $2 weekdays and $3 for Sunday. There is only day old news in them anymore. My subscription to the Albuquerque journal runs out this month and I will not be renewing it.

@streeter said:
    DD
    There is always plenty of material if you just go to Georgia and Alabama college athletic Dept criminal behaviour.
    Just trying to help.

No, I'm sorry but I can't do that, I must stay at home and keep myself plugged in to the latest developments on a certain NFL quarterback. This is where I'm most comfortable, this is where I belong.

@doubledragon said:

@streeter said:
    DD
    Just trying to help.

No, I'm sorry but I can't do that, I must stay at home and keep myself plugged in to the latest developments on a certain NFL quarterback. This is where I'm most comfortable, this is where I belong.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

edited March 4, 2023 5:04AM

My cellphone is my newspaper

As much as I loved grabbing a coffee and unfolding the Paper I have to say that the cellphone is so much more enjoyable, you can't beat it

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just as "Video killed the Radio Star" the internet has spelled the eventual demise of Newsprint. I still get the occasional phone call from the local paper offering a subscription but like everyone else I read online if there's something I need to know. I had a paper route as a teenager and the biggest days were always Sunday and Wednesday with Thursday being the most advertisements included. After my Father retired he took a part time job to stay active as a Tour Guide for the largest area paper, interesting work since they had recently automated a new plant.

I much prefer looking at the Sports section laid out on a table or holding it in my hands but there is a certain convenience to looking online.

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

found this in a wall being used as insulation in a house sis was renovating and flipping

Back in 1996 I was working for a demolition company, I was in a school taking out the ceiling and I busted through a ceiling tile and got to the top.of my ladder and poked my head through and within arms reach there was a paper cup, a crushed out cigarette butt and a newspaper from 1960, it was pretty cool, I imagine a construction worker was taking a break and just didn't bother cleaning up after and just left it there and put the ceiling up

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excuse Me, trying to read over here............. :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"