Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1993 sp Jeter help opinion?

handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I really don’t know much about cards if the are from 1990+. But I just pick up a really nice looking Jeter in my opinion. I don’t have any other 1993 sp cards to measure it on. But I did measure it against 4 other 1992-4s and it measures exact. I know some can tell by where the image lines up?? There is space between the ball on the back and also on the foot in front. Are these the proper spacing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I sent in a undersized one years ago and don’t want to make another submitting mistake again. That one was missing most of the top of the ball on the back.

Comments

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

The right side is most certainly trimmed. You can tell more by the back of the card (which would then be the left side). Very wavy.

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2023 12:24PM

Thanks for the reply. Just looked closer at what you said. I think thats the photo. looking in hand its perfectly straight.
    Tried to line it up next to the gold line with a thin gap to compare

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2023 2:56PM

Take the card out of the penny saver and out of the Card Saver and retake the pics... That's how PSA looks at it!

edited February 23, 2023 4:52PM

O

Ok. Well I"m confident this is not altered after comparing to others online. And many measurements. I just cant believe how sharp the corners are! I wonder if it was one of the replacements that UD sent out to customers with damaged cards? Gona send it in
    Wish me luck

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck 🤞!!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

Wooo-hoooo we’re rolling the dice!!!! Go for it!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck Derek, hope you get an 8 or better.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Luck!

To piggy back on this thread do people trim modern cards? I had always thought it usually, only happened on older cards.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
    edited February 24, 2023 11:39AM

Thanks guys. I put it in a old Psa slab that came unsealed like 10 years ago I forgot I still had. Easier way to see the size in the case.

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

That's one of the nicest raw SP Jeters that I've ever seen... definitely worth the sub.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

PSA is notoriously tough on this card. I hope you get a 9 but I think you will get an 8 or 7 because of the white on the back edges. They also love to give "min-size" for this card, I think I had to resubmit 3 or 4 times for one of my pack pulled ones before getting an 8.

Thanks,

Robb

I hope your wrong but yeah who knows what it will grade no question. If it grades a 7 then I’ll be forced to try bgs.

• azvikeazvike Posts: 352 ✭✭✭

Gorgeous card! Good Luck...

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:
    Good Luck!

To piggy back on this thread do people trim modern cards? I had always thought it usually, only happened on older cards.

Oh of course. When the difference between 9 and 10 is minuscule to the eye, but can be thousands or tens of thousands of dollars, big time! Look on blowout forums, lots of examples.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Not why I started this thread. I was concerned with the MINSize issue that often happens to this card. And looking for advise where the image should show as its hard to tell with no boarders.
    Anyhow

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2023 7:24AM

@handyman said:
    Not why I started this thread. I was concerned with the MINSize issue that often happens to this card. And looking for advise where the image should show as its hard to tell with no boarders.
    Anyhow

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont think a 7 is a real possibility. If it receives a grade (which I think it will) I can see this card as a 7.5, 8 or 8.5

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Pre covid, this card could come back a 9. Now, who knows, but 7-8 is probably realistic.

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

Based on the pictures and assuming this card gets an assigned grade (i.e. the size checks out), then I could see this as an 8 or above. Unless there's some surface scratch that is only visible in certain light or angles.

Another way I look at it, if I saw this card with a 7 grade I would pay more than market price for a 7 because it looks way better than a 7.

The problem with this card (and others) is the huge price differential between a 9 or 10. The difference is easily 6 figures -- so PSA needs a 9.5 (imho). But that's a different topic...

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice looking card, good luck with the sub

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

"Pre covid, this card could come back a 9. "

This card was very harshly graded pre COVID. I have pulled and submitted quite a few, any imperfection resulted in an 8 or lower if it passed the min-size test.

Robb

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭

I see some edge chipping on the back, and some white showing.
    On the front, what is that white speck near the ball. Is that a surface issue? Like a divet in the card?
    Unfortunately, it's in the dark area and where the eye is drawn to, so markdown for eye appeal.
    Still, I would say PSA gives it an 8.

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2023 7:21AM

Surface is major factor on these cards. After many years of examining my self-submitted PSA9 through the slab I think I found the reason it is not a 10.

Still the card shoudl not be judged more harshly than any other foil from the same set. Yet it is and that is simply WRONG!

Based on the pics I think you had what at one time might have been an 8.0 or a 8.5. Nowadays I feel 7 is maximum on your card.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

^ hoping you have good luck. Please do let us know how it grades.

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    At PSA. I hope it dosent get drilled. PSA has the card as of yesterday. Hope I dont just get an 8 but Im not holding my hopes up for anything.My first sub after taking a break from PSA. SHould I go for a 10 with this company?

No stick with PSA no matter the outcome.

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

Fabulous!!!!!

Good Luck!!!!

I’m pulling for you!!!

(This is my first Jeter submission!!!!)

Live long, and prosper.

First view. I do like this new feature I must say. Very good add on to the service. First time Ive seen this offered for me.

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    PSA is notoriously tough on this card. I hope you get a 9 but I think you will get an 8 or 7 because of the white on the back edges. They also love to give "min-size" for this card, I think I had to resubmit 3 or 4 times for one of my pack pulled ones before getting an 8.

Thanks,

Robb

For this kind of card I'm surprised PSA 10's exist at all.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

Looking at the PSA scans, I think surface issues might play a bigger role in your grade.

Card is in 2 cases in the PSA scan. I Card saver 1 and a penny sleeve. Shows steaks from the scanner I think. All new to me but I know that most of that stuff is the scan. Check my images above.

edited March 23, 2023 3:21PM

Oh, ok. I guess that makes sense that PSA scans the cards as they come, before ever handling them raw.

I have cards in the "Grading" step, and no card pics posted as yet.
    I was thinking they scanned them raw.

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    First view. I do like this new feature I must say. Very good add on to the service. First time Ive seen this offered for me.

Looks like 7.5 to 8.5 I could be wrong will see.

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:
    Oh, ok. I guess that makes sense that PSA scans the cards as they come, before ever handling them raw.

You probably submitted those cards just before they starting scanning on intake.

@RufussCkingston said:

@RonSportscards said:

You probably submitted those cards just before they starting scanning on intake.

First View was launched 2/28.
    PSA confirmed receipt of my package 3/3.
    That's ok. I'm not overly concerned.

edited April 11, 2023 5:49PM

Well.
    N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1993 SP 279 Derek Jeter Foil

Who had N6?

@handyman said:
    Well.
    N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1993 SP 279 Derek Jeter Foil

Who had N6?

Sad to hear that. It is one of the most altered card's of the 1990's

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen these cards come straight out of the packs and get the notorious N6. Sucks but that is one tough card to not only get a decent grade on but to even get into a PSA holder. I would still try sending in to SCG. I am sure you may have a lot better luck.

Card isnt small to me. Oh well. At least they didnt charge me I guess. Hope it is not damaged is my other concern. Looks bigger than most of the ones Ive compared to already graded. Image size checks out. Bummed

• azvikeazvike Posts: 352 ✭✭✭

I sent in a 1986 Fleer Kareem sticker that got N6'd 3 times....the 4th time it came an 8. Frustrating, but since they dont charge you I didn't mind resubbing a few times.

Sorry… I enjoyed your post, and can appreciate your pain!!!

Live long, and prosper.
  • totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

I had a minsize Rickey Henderson rookie. I got tired of resubbing it so I finally took it to SGC. It got an authentic grade and I sold it through auction. You can always consider that route. But it's a bummer when anything like this happens, for sure.

@handyman said:
    Card isnt small to me. Oh well. At least they didnt charge me I guess. Hope it is not damaged is my other concern. Looks bigger than most of the ones Ive compared to already graded. Image size checks out. Bummed

Sorry, not what you wanted to hear, but obviously you had your suspicions.
    Wasn't getting a 9 or 10 regardless, IMO.
    Are you going to try your luck again, buying another raw card?

edited April 15, 2023 7:35AM

Got the order back today.

• Sorry about that! Do you have a centering tool? They have borders that can show a discrepancy in card size as well as centering issues.