Home Sports Talk

Explain this photo

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serious question, DD... Did you see this photo and not know the story behind it, and then ask about it here because you didn't know how to search for information about it?

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Serious question, DD... Did you see this photo and not know the story behind it, and then ask about it here because you didn't know how to search for information about it?

No, I know the story behind it, just wondering if any of you do. Try to think of it as a game show, and I'm the host, and this is the final question. Do you got what it takes?

Ok. I had never seen it, but it's easy to search pics in the www. Just sayin...

edited February 27, 2023 1:48PM

@thisistheshow said:
    Ok. I had never seen it, but it's easy to search pics in the www. Just sayin...

The NFL offseason is driving me crazy, I get bored and threads like this, and the Mariners relief pitcher boat thread, are the result of this boredom. I'll never make it 7 months!

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Three (likely male) persons (including two hockey players [wearing identical jerseys and thus apparently both on the same team] and a referee) on the ice at a hockey game, with one of the players (the goalie) laying on his back on the ice with (one of his gloves not on his left hand laying on the ice in front of the goal).

That is all I got. :)

Mmm hmm.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously he got Bobby Orr’d.
    Probably never saw him coming. 😩

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

No, I'm sorry but you are incorrect. This is a photo of Minnesota North Stars goalie Gump Worsley, he was hit in the head by a Bobby Hull slap shot and knocked out cold.

Absolute legend...

@thisistheshow said:
    Absolute legend...

Tough as nails, didn't like to wear a mask, he once said "my face is my mask!"

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

I been on a work trip so late to the party here

My first guess was he lost a tight game by giving up a goal and just laid on the ice

Second guess would have been knocked out cold lol

@perkdog said:

My first guess was he lost a tight game by giving up a goal and just laid on the ice

Knowing that the second is correct, I'd like to ask the forum a question here. Your first guess makes sense, but does it only make sense through a more modern lense? Would a goalie have laid out like that, at that time? 🤷🤔

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

Knowing that the second is correct, I'd like to ask the forum a question here. Your first guess makes sense, but does it only make sense through a more modern lense? Would a goalie have laid out like that, at that time? 🤷🤔

Maybe if it was a playoff game that had gone several overtime periods and the players were physically exhausted.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or they were playing Y M C A during a tv break. ;)

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

I don't think a modern player would stoop to that level lol

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 1:12PM

Look at the Gump's upper body amour nothing but padded cloth so they had to have fast hands back in the day to stop the puck, they hardly went down to stop the disc for fear of getting injured from taking a shot to the upper body,goalies nowadays have protection that is made of kevlar, they go down in the butterfly position to cover the bottom of the crease who cares how hard the shot is they are protected,but shooters have caught on with goalies going down to stop shots they go for the top corners, most goals go in the top corners,i have talked to a goaltending coach who coached goalies in jr.A in Canada and he was told by management from teams to tell goaltenters to stand up more but old habits die hard.

@electrode said:
    Look at the Gump's upper body amour nothing but padded cloth so they had to have fast hands back in the day to stop the puck, they hardly went down to stop the disc for fear of getting injured from taking a shot to the upper body,goalies nowadays have protection that is made of kevlar, they go down in the butterfly position to cover the bottom of the crease who cares how hard the shot is they are protected,but shooters have caught on with goalies going down to stop shots they go for the top corners, most goals go in the top corners,i have talked to a goaltending coach who coached goalies in jr.A in Canada and he was told by management from teams to tell goaltenters to stand up more but old habits die hard.

Good stuff! Thank you! 👍👍

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is pretty clear what happened here.

one of the opposing teams forwards mentioned to the goalie that in his opinion, Mike Schmidt was the best 3b in history. the goalie, being a george brett fan immediately went into cardiac arrest.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.