Home Q & A Forum
Options

loomis

does loomis run pennies through magnets prior to rolling them ?

Comments

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your question made wonder too. I tried to research this question, but could not find any magnetic device used on coin wrapping machines for cents. Personally, I have never found any item in a OBW roll of cents by loomis that was not a cent. However when CRH with customer wrapped rolls, it is a whole different story. I have found washers, tokens, cut up items, foreign coins and other items.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is yes.

My bank's coin counting machines (a couple different models) have magnets that suck up steel coins before they go into the sorting and counting mechanism. I assume the coin processing companies do the same.

• Options

i'm thinking that i will never find a steel penny in rolls from loomis or any other company that rolls coins for banks.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2023 5:28PM

@neiltor said:
    i'm thinking that i will never find a steel penny in rolls from loomis or any other company that rolls coins for banks.

If that's why you ask, you are correct.

If their process allowed those through then it would allow tons of steel foreign coins through, as well.

I've found lots of steel cents - as bank coin machine or Coinstar rejects. ;)