Home Q & A Forum

What do with all these coins?

Hi all. Thanks for answering the questions that are asked here. It's very helpful.

I do have question. My father-in-law handed down a huge bag of nickels. So far I have found everything from 1938-P/D/S all the way up to around 1964.

Not every nickel he has here is worth anything, what should I do? Right now, I am keeping any low mintage , war nickels, and obvious errors, and putting some in missing holes or upgrades in my collection albums (all in various grades). For instance, in bag, so far, contains about 500 1940 nickels. I'm searching for varieties in these, but 1940 isn't a key date and only the 1940 S seems to have a DDO/DDR. Should I just send the rest back into circulation (aka spend them)? What's the consensus of using these coins?

Thanks again for your help!

Best Answer

Answers

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would check your 39/44 (No P)/46/47/&53 nickels for the weight. There could be a Henning nickel in the group. The weight would be around 5.3 to 5.4 grams And none of these dates would have a D/S mint-mark. I would love to have a group of nickels like that. Happy hunting, and don't be afraid to ask questions on this site. There are some very knowledgeably members here that always willing to help. @ifthevamzarockin is a great member to listen to and learn from too.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that weighing them all would be nice opportunity. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52