Home Stamps Forum

Dad died - left ridiculously huge stamp collection - wondering the best way to determine value.

Before he died he told us to sell these stamps. I'm serious, there's over 2,000 stamps, mostly loose, some on envelopes, some on a series of envelopes, some in books, some in official book series (i.e. United Nations). It's just so much and my family has appointed me to sell it all to raise money for my mom.

I'm just wondering what would be the most easiest and cost efficient way to determine the value of these stamps. Are there certain rares I should be looking out for? Can I just go by year (for example, like everything from 2004 is 70-90 cents?) I know I might sound confusing but I'm really not trying to look up 2,000 stamps, but maybe if there was a good book I could buy, I would do that. But googling each stamp, most likely having to go to ebay, and then click and search the sold auctions for each stamp is just too tedious.

Please, if you guys have any recommendations, I would really really appreciate it. Thanks!

Comments

• GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Perhaps post a few pictures so we can determine what the collection is. If it's a basic collection then it may not have as much value as you'd hope.

• Go to the library and borrow Scott stamp catalog. 2000 stamps are nothing, there are stamp collection with 10000 or more selling for very little compared to catalog value. Most Modern stamps under 100 years old are selling for below face value.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post photos here. Many collectors will tell you what is worth selling without you wasting the time in researching it for yourself.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are likely to be very disappointed. The UN stamps will bring very little and the loose stamps may not even get an offer. Post photos of anything you think is valuable. You will get honest answers from the members of this forum.

All glory is fleeting.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to be in a UN subscription program and receive new issues and FDCs as they were issued.

Now as an adult, rather than just throw them out, one holiday season, I used all my mint UN stamps on Holiday cards, both domestic and international, and went to the UNPA in NY and mailed them (luckily I like close). (It was already tough to get inside the UNHQ building, but I hear it's worse now. As a kid, we just walked right in!)

To get full value from your unused stamps, you will probably just have to use them as postage. And it will not be easy!