Home Autographs Forum

Once a graph is slabbed authentic , how much to grade later on?

thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
edited January 29, 2023 11:30PM in Autographs Forum

What would it cost me to bave this Geronimo autograph graded?

It is already slabbed authentic so would I simply just have to pay the $50 grading fee, or would I have to pay the $350 Geronimo authentication fee again plus the $50 grading fee?

And could I request a minimum grade just like on card submissions?

Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea, but I'd be interested in the answer.

Personally, I never really understood grading autographs. It's a little different than with coins or trading cards where condition variables can make a huge difference.

With autographs, you can see for yourself if it is faded, smudged, etc. Plus, I don't even know how they grade them - I've seen checks with cancelation holes touching the signature that still graded 10.

Of course, if the marketplace adds a huge premium then that's reason enough, I suppose.

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

JBK I tend to agree about you can see for yourself when you look at it, but I also feel that way about cards too.

When I grade stuff it's because I want to get the best grades possible in order to sell to well heeled people that like to show off and brag about having the "best". They will absolutely pay premiums for bragging rights and I love that. In trading cards its the best way to turn an otherwise worthless common into a 4 figure low pop 10 in some instances, and the only thing that changed was it was put into a piece of plastic with a number on it, and I love it.

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

Oh well, I'm not having it graded. Price would be as follows:

$50 grading fee, $15 encapsulation fee, $36 return shipping/insurance, $100 premium item fee, total $201.00

That's ridiculous considering $350 plus premium item fee of $100 plus return shipping/insurance has already been dropped on the cut before.

The premium item fee makes zero sense when they've already collected it once on the same item.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thenavarro said:
    JBK I tend to agree about you can see for yourself when you look at it, but I also feel that way about cards too.

When I grade stuff it's because I want to get the best grades possible in order to sell to well heeled people that like to show off and brag about having the "best". They will absolutely pay premiums for bragging rights and I love that. In trading cards its the best way to turn an otherwise worthless common into a 4 figure low pop 10 in some instances, and the only thing that changed was it was put into a piece of plastic with a number on it, and I love it.

I think your views on the market are dead on. The amount of money being wasted on common collectibles is astounding.
    There seems to be an abundance of collectors with more money than sense these days.

All glory is fleeting.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thenavarro said:
    Oh well, I'm not having it graded. Price would be as follows:

$50 grading fee, $15 encapsulation fee, $36 return shipping/insurance, $100 premium item fee, total $201.00

That's ridiculous considering $350 plus premium item fee of $100 plus return shipping/insurance has already been dropped on the cut before.

The premium item fee makes zero sense when they've already collected it once on the same item.

And on top of all that (and please correct me if I'm wrong), autograph authentication and grading doesn't carry any guarantees the way coin authentication does. With autographs you are just paying for an opinion with no recourse if it is later deemed to be fake.