Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Vintage special $15 a card for collector club members

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 1, 2023 11:17AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks grote, I have been waiting patiently for this one.

Years Accepted1989-Older
    Declared Value Limit $199
    Categories Accepted All sports
    Item Types Accepted Regular or Small-Sized Cards
    Membership Requirement Collectors Club Membership
    Turnaround Time (Estimated)90 Business Days
    Exclusions Crossovers, Reviews, Supersized, T3, Jumbo, Packs, Coins/pins, Ticket, Jumbo Tickets, Dual Service

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

Quick question for the PSA crowd - is the 2nd year Lew Alcindor card eligible for the $15 vintage special? Or is this considered an oversized card? Thanks

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

PSA generally says whether tall boys are or not allowed,

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt Tall boys are covered: Item Types Accepted Regular or Small-Sized Cards

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

My son and I will be getting together a small (10-15 cards) Pokemon sub. He is very excited.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

For years now, PSA has accepted tallboys with regular sized cards in the same sub. Unless they very recently reverted back to their old policies, you should be fine.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's twice what I was paying before the shutdown but I'll probably scare up a few dozen cards to submit which bump up against the max value limit.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    For years now, PSA has accepted tallboys with regular sized cards in the same sub. Unless they very recently reverted back to their old policies, you should be fine.

So that actually means PSA should also accept cards like Redmans, '59 bazooka, 64 Topps Giants, 69, 70, 71 Topps Super and greatest moments in addition to the '69 & '70 basketball plus '65 football....... correct????

• Options

@sayheywyo said:

@DBesse27 said:

So that actually means PSA should also accept cards like Redmans, '59 bazooka, 64 Topps Giants, 69, 70, 71 Topps Super and greatest moments in addition to the '69 & '70 basketball plus '65 football....... correct????

This is correct, as far as I know.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

Thanks - I'll give it a try.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weirdly, my eyes get a lot better when I submit Modern instead of Vintage. I send what I think are the best Vintage and get 6-9s. I send in Modern and around 60% come back as 10s. :D

• Options
    backbidderbackbidder Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    Weirdly, my eyes get a lot better when I submit Modern instead of Vintage. I send what I think are the best Vintage and get 6-9s. I send in Modern and around 60% come back as 10s. :D

To this point, has anyone had better success grading 70s/80s recently compared to the past couple years? While this special is tempting, I'm willing to wait until grading standards return to pre-covid, if ever.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have hundreds pre 1989 non-sports I was going to sub for registry purposes, then the pandemic hit.

Even in PSA10 their values is under $30 and 9's might not even garner $12. I'll continue to use the dough I would have spent on PSA grading and put it towards pre-1982 CGC slabbed comic books

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

This is probably a dumb question, but when it states “all sports”, does that include non-sports?

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@backbidder said:

@BBBrkrr said:

To this point, has anyone had better success grading 70s/80s recently compared to the past couple years? While this special is tempting, I'm willing to wait until grading standards return to pre-covid, if ever.

I had no problem with the results I got on several thousand vintage cards that I submitted right before the shutdown. I must note that I was part of the dealer program at that time. We'll see if I get the same treatment now that I'm just Joe Submitter with my upcoming small submission.

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 450 ✭✭✭

The only thing that would make me nervous about sending sending in Tall Boys is that submission form delineates between the 2 sizes.

Matt

• Options
    SlipCSlipC Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

I too would like a definitive answer on Tall Boys. Has anyone actually called PSA on this?

It's been a long, long time!
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

TallBoy size are not specified on the exclusions list. When initiating a submission form, the checkbox is for regular or tallboy under the same bullet point and there is not an option to separate the two. My assumption is that tallboy are intended to be included in the offer, though I agree that it would be appropriate for PSA to clarify this by updating the text on their website. Barring that, I would not hesitate to include tallboy items in an order I sent. It would count towards your minimum quantity item total count, and they'd have to contact you for approval of upcharge if they decided to exclude them, so you'd have the option of approving or declining that amount too. Most likely scenario is that they'd get processed in the order at the same rate and if I were in some sort of rush to get an order in instead of waiting for an answer, I'd take the gamble on it.

• Options

@firstbase23 said:
    The only thing that would make me nervous about sending sending in Tall Boys is that submission form delineates between the 2 sizes.

Matt

No it doesn’t. They’re the same bullet point/line item.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

Will in-person signed vintage cards fall under this special if I just want the flip to call out the card and not generic "trading card?" I see it excludes dual service, but I don't want either graded, just auto authenticated and card called out on the flip. If not, what do I sub that type of card under?

• Options
    edited February 3, 2023 9:24AM

@swish54 said:
    Will in-person signed vintage cards fall under this special if I just want the flip to call out the card and not generic "trading card?" I see it excludes dual service, but I don't want either graded, just auto authenticated and card called out on the flip. If not, what do I sub that type of card under?

No, you cannot sub the items you describe under this special. There is however an-ongoing pricepoint for auto (dual) service, at $25 per card

Card & Autograph Dual Service

Authenticate and grade both the card and the autograph using PSA’s Dual Service. This popular service gives you the option to have both grades displayed on your PSA LightHouse™ label.

VALUE BULK
    $25/card

Card must have a declared value of $499 or less
    Estimated Turnaround Time: 75 Days
    20-card minimum for each era (1980-present and 1979-older)
    Includes Standard Imaging of the front and back of the graded card
    Exclusive to PSA Collectors Club members.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@swish54 said:

No, you cannot sub the items you describe under this special. There is however an-ongoing pricepoint for auto (dual) service, at $25 per card

Card & Autograph Dual Service

Authenticate and grade both the card and the autograph using PSA’s Dual Service. This popular service gives you the option to have both grades displayed on your PSA LightHouse™ label.

VALUE BULK
    $25/card

Card must have a declared value of $499 or less
    Estimated Turnaround Time: 75 Days
    20-card minimum for each era (1980-present and 1979-older)
    Includes Standard Imaging of the front and back of the graded card
    Exclusive to PSA Collectors Club members.

Thank you very much!

• Options

Easy way to check if your card will be allowed is to input it on the online form. If it shows up, and you get no error message, it's ok to submit.

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

I was able to confirm that tall boys are allowed!

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering sending in some beaters.... like PSA 3-5 of League Leaders, All Stars, switch hitter connects, etc... that depict Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Clemente, etc. That way I won't be disappointed with grades. Seem to be a small niche for the low grade upper tier HOFers......

• Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

How is PSA grading vintage cards these days, are they still being strict or have they lightened up lately?

• Options

@gfodale said:
    Easy way to check if your card will be allowed is to input it on the online form. If it shows up, and you get no error message, it's ok to submit.

Yes, but, if it does not show up, that in no way means that it is not ok to submit.

• Options
    DanS832DanS832 Posts: 44 ✭✭

Its says value $199.00 If I send something better as I dont know how it will grade will this hurt my grade - as they might grade lower due to the value or they will charge me more after the grade. I guess does the grader think lower grade or he doesnt know how I submitted this.
    Thanks

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DanS832 said:
    Its says value $199.00 If I send something better as I dont know how it will grade will this hurt my grade - as they might grade lower due to the value or they will charge me more after the grade. I guess does the grader think lower grade or he doesnt know how I submitted this.
    Thanks

No. PSA has integrity and will not play games with its grades. It may make mistakes and even damage cards, but there is no way it would put a 9 in a 2 holder to punish an improper submitter. The worst that could happen is that PSA would reject a card and return it ungraded because it didn't meet the conditions, but I've never heard of that. Instead you would almost certainly getting a message that your '52 Mantle graded too high for the submission level and you'll have to pay an extra $10,000 to get the proper tier service for it

I've never heard of anyone refusing to pay an "upcharge", so I don't know what would happen.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, PSA would lose all credibility for the grading and folks would stop using them if it was a pay-for-grade system. That would be a killer for their company.