Home Sports Talk

Tony Romo

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i've made it known how i feel about Troy Aikman as a color commentator. when he says "heck of a" fifty times a game or says something unfunny and then laughs at it another fifty times, i feel compelled to find two bowling balls, stick my head in between them, then bang them together repeatedly. i can't take it and i eliminate the volume.

but unfathomably, i've come to the conclusion that Tony Romo is worse. remember a handful of years ago when people were so enamored with his ability to call plays out right before they happened? like he's mr. omniscient? yeah, well the expiration date on that schtick was about 2019 for me. i've been over it for a long time.

last weekend was the tipping point.

he was so painful during the Bills-Bengals game that i once again searched feverishly for my remote and my bowling balls. and honestly i felt sorry for Jim Nantz, who is a consummate professional. at one point during the game he passed the baton to Romo and the camera showed him standing there like a dope chewing something. after about 3 seconds of awkward silence he finally uttered something that had zero substance attached to it, which is often the case nowadays. when you already possess a low IQ like i do and some buffoon on tv lowers it even further, that's dangerous to society. but that's what happens when i listen to Tony Romo for four quarters. he is just flat-out brutal.

just to make sure i wasn't an island by myself, i scoured the internet. sure enough, i found an article that i would have written myself if i didn't have a low IQ. i read this and thought, "yes, yes, 1000 times yes."

but before i post the link, and not that anyone cares, but the duo i absolutely can't get enough of is Kevin Burkhardt and Greg Olsen. i would opt for those two over Nantz-Romo and Buck-Aikman 365 days a year and 366 on a leap year. it could be the Chicago Bears vs. the Chicago Bears and there would be sound for 3 hours.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/tony-romo-s-bengals-bills-call-is-getting-torched-by-nfl-fans/ar-AA16FaRQ

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's funny, I was just telling a buddy of mine how much I love the Burkhardt/Olsen duo, it's truly enjoyable listening to Greg Olsen break down the plays, he's my new favorite broadcaster, and he played for my Panthers which makes it even more sweeter! Romo, meh.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2023 12:12PM

Galixico, I agree with you about Romo. Was it the Cowboy/Niner game that he did last? I don't remember, but I do remember asking The Lovely Mrs Hydrant is that announcer Romo? She said, "Yes"..... I said, " He's terrible.".....Then she said, "Yea, but he's good looking."......😵

About Aikman,.....He's my favorite. All that " heck of a" stuff is just Okie/Texas talk. You know that! He relates to the locals and even California Hillbillys like me! He's my favorite..... Actually, the only color announcer that I can stand......Most of them make me want to crawl up the wall!

The announcer I dislike the most? Al Michaels. When he says, "quat da buell" (Caught the ball).....He sounds like a 4 year old with a speech impediment!......Baby Talk!.....
    I guess it's just what part of the country a person is from and what they're used to hearing.

P.S. Social and regional dialects within the United States is a subject that completely fascinates me. It's because I spent 30+ years of my working life on the ground working with local everyday people everywhere in the country..... EVERYWHERE!.
    Best Story?....... I was at a gas station in Northern California. I asked the young lady cashier, "How's everything back in Clarksburg?"...Tennessee..... She looked at me wide eyed and said, "Howyed y'all knows eyes from Clarksburg?... Wees kin?".....EASY!

And.....In Arkansas and Louisiana?.... I can't make heads or tails what they're talking about...... And they don't speak California.....
    It's a great country...... Good people everywhere....

@Hydrant said:
    Galixico, I agree with you about Romo. Was it the Cowboy/Niner game that he did last? I don't remember, but I do remember asking The Lovely Mrs Hydrant is that announcer Romo? She said, "Yes"..... I said, " He's terrible.".....Then she said, "Yea, but he's good looking."......😵

About Aikman,.....He's my favorite. All that " heck of a" stuff is just Okie/Texas talk. You know that! He relates to the locals and even California Hillbillys like me! He's my favorite..... Actually, the only color announcer that I can stand......Most of them make me want to crawl up the wall!

The announcer I dislike the most? Al Michaels. When he says, "quat da buell" (Caught the ball).....He sounds like a 4 year old with a speech impediment!......Baby Talk!.....
    I guess it's just what part of the country a person is from and what they're used to hearing.

Hmm, Al Michaels was horrible a few weeks ago calling the Chargers vs Jaguars game, it received terrible reviews, an epic comeback by the Jaguars was turned into a snoozefest, because Al Michaels and Tony Dungy sounded like two old men who were up past their bedtime and just waiting for the game to end. I'll tell you one thing, if Gus Johnson had been on the call, that booth would have exploded that night.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2023 12:29PM

He is 80% annoying as hell and 20% smartest guy at calling the game, I've come to can't stand him really

Chris Collinsworth is right there with him

Another guy I couldn't stand was Dan Dierdorf, he incessantly would say "In this league" after every play it seemed uhhk

It's time for Al Michaels to hang it up, it's been a great ride, but he's past it.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Al Michaels and Tony Dungy sounded like two old men who were up past their bedtime and just waiting for the game to end. I'll tell you one thing, if Gus Johnson had been on the call, that booth would have exploded that night.

truer (and funnier) words have never been spoken. Jacksonville just completed the 3rd largest comeback in NFL playoffs history and one would have thought that Al Michaels was calling play-by-play of the grass growing outside

And I love me some Gus J!

edited January 24, 2023 2:36PM

@perkdog said:
    He is 80% annoying as hell.......

Chris Collinsworth is right there with him.....

Collingsworth?,.....Listening to him Saturday night during the Chiefs/Jaguar game made my skin crawl. It was like he was at a worship service in the "Temple of Mahomes."...... It was nauseating....... After he paid homage to his idol, "The All Mighty Patrick" saying, "He Has Unlimited Talent!"..... I felt like throwing my can on Bud Lite though the T.V. screen........The Lovely Mrs Hydrant™ told me to turn the sound off or else she wouldn't bring me my dinner!....
    Collingsworth is Jammin' Me!.....Please Somebody!...... Give him some place to go!.....Far away from a microphone!.... PLEASE!

@Hydrant said:

@perkdog said:
    He is 80% annoying as hell.......

Chris Collinsworth is right there with him.....

Collingsworth?,.....Listening to him Saturday night during the Chiefs/Jaguar game made my skin crawl. It was like he was at a worship service in the "Temple of Mahomes."...... It was nauseating....... After he paid homage to his idol, "The All Mighty Patrick" saying, "He Has Unlimited Talent!"..... I felt like throwing my can on Bud Lite though the T.V. screen........The Lovely Mrs Hydrant™ told me to turn the sound off or else she wouldn't bring me my dinner!....
    Collingsworth is Jammin' Me!.....Please Somebody!...... Give him some place to go!.....Far away from a microphone!.... PLEASE!

Uhhk it's the same thing when he calls a Packers game, he salivate over Rodgers

He might be worse than Romo

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't Romo the one that always shows his preferance for one team over the other in his game call? OH LOrd, just really don't let him call any Cowboy games. Won't have to worry about that anymore this year - :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I often watch with the sound muted.

Joe Buck is the guy that annoys me the most.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2023 8:02PM

I used to like Romo A LOT. But he's dropped off and something is going on with his voice and it's no longer sharp and clear.

I don't mind Buck & Aikman but they aren't great.

Al Michaels is awful and has been for at least a decade.

Cris Collinsworth is awful and has never been good. His endless worship of big name quarterbacks is nauseating. Rodgers & Mahomes don't ever make mistakes. It's ALWAYS the fault of the receiver or whatever. Grrr.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to like Romo also, but his novelty act of calling plays wore thin quickly. And there's not much else behind that schtick.

I miss the days of Summerall and Madden (or Brookshire before John) or Criqui and Trumpy.

Summerall was always my favorite. His voice personified the NFL.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    edited January 24, 2023 8:47PM

This is a great thread......Like I said before, The Lovely Mrs Hydrant™ says over, and over, and over again while watching the games......TURN THE SOUND OFF!!!!.....

The worst announcers are on NFL Game Day on XM Radio....I only listen when I'm driving to the Lambs games...Why?...To drown out listening to my ding bat sister-in-law talk about her fingernail polish routine!

...Long ago and far away! 😵

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mrs. Hydrant has got it right again!!!!!!!!!! This is the very reason I watch all team sports without sound. All of the announcers are hype and I enjoy the games less with their yapping and enjoy the games more with no sound where I can focus on the game. The only announcer that ever got me engaged was the Schonz and it was on radio! He made me a lifelong die hard Blazer fan through thick and thin and mostly disappointment but nevertheless, after hearing the Schonz call a Blazer game, it is game set match and you are hooked. After growing up with the Schonz, the rest of these guys are counterfeit......................

RIP Bill (he passed away this week). No has or ever will be like you in the sports broadcasting booth.

R-r-r-rip City!

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
    edited January 24, 2023 11:35PM

@grote15 said:

I miss the days of Summerall and Madden (or Brookshire before John) or Criqui and Trumpy.

there will never be another Summerall. as great as Nantz is, he's not him. it's the voice, as you stated. absolute perfection.

and Criqui & Trumpy were excellent. i often forget about those guys. i can close my eyes and hear Criqui's unique voice -- it just screams 80s NFL.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this perfectly sums up Tony's broadcasting style.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said: the duo i absolutely can't get enough of is Kevin Burkhardt and Greg Olsen. i would opt for those two.

Be patient, in a year or two you'll be sick of those two, especially Olsen. I'm already there. I think what I enjoy most about NFL broadcast teams is how they "root" for teams in games when they just be announcing. It's most noticeable in the timbre of the play-by-play guy when each team does the same thing like complete a long pass. For one team the guy will sound as though he's having an orgasm and with the other, oh well, ho hum.

I always remember these guys work for the NFL and promote the NFL while being in competition with each other for the best, most lucrative positions. Viewed like that, I still appreciate Romo though I haven't seen him do a game since early December. Most of us here watching a game understand what's happening at least as well as the announcers, what I want is someone who can provide some insight into what's happening that I might miss. Romo seems to do that for me better than the rest.

What I hate most about these announcers is when they refuse to honestly say what we've just seen, or when the producers in the truck refuse to show the replay of something that might upstage the NFL.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    I used to like Romo also, but his novelty act of calling plays wore thin quickly. And there's not much else behind that schtick.

Add Vern Lundquist. And Curt Gowdy.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even with his dropoff in quality, I still like Romo more than others. I think he is more prepared for some games than others. I will say this...if he's doing your teams game, you can get a lot out of it.

I like to often watch with no sound too. I also think that a lot of radio broadcast teams do better.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember when a network showed an NFL game with no announcer. Just video. It was so bad no one ever tried it again.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

can you imagine Vin Scully making noises like this during a Dodgers game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC1lusyyUAU

@galaxy27 said:
    [can you imagine Vin Scully making noises like this during a Dodgers game]

Maybe Romo has gas........ :D

edited January 27, 2023 8:17AM

@galaxy27 said:
    can you imagine Vin Scully making noises like this during a Dodgers game

I grew up listening to Vince Scully......
    I read somewhere, long ago, that he said he did not root for the Dodgers.....He had no favorite team.

some stories brewing. first, there's this. i caught this yesterday. btw Romo was especially unbearable in the AFC Champ game. even my mom made it a point to tell me days after the game, "Romo would not be quiet!"

next, Brady was set to be the #1 analyst at Fox when he retired. which, oops, is now. even Fox was unaware. only one problem: Greg Olsen has become a fan favorite and has real chemistry with Kevin Burkhardt. so Brady will undoubtedly have a target on his back if he replaces him.

drama for your broadcasting booth momma

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-cbs-tried-intervention-with-tony-romo-prior-to-season/ar-AA1734UW?cvid=a56e06d70cf94a309de4808c7066b10d

edited February 3, 2023 10:56AM

@galaxy27 said:
    some stories brewing. first, there's this. i caught this yesterday. btw Romo was especially unbearable in the AFC Champ game. even my mom made it a point to tell me days after the game, "Romo would not be quiet!"

next, Brady was set to be the #1 analyst at Fox when he retired. which, oops, is now. even Fox was unaware. only one problem: Greg Olsen has become a fan favorite and has real chemistry with Kevin Burkhardt. so Brady will undoubtedly have a target on his back if he replaces him.

drama for your broadcasting booth momma

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-cbs-tried-intervention-with-tony-romo-prior-to-season/ar-AA1734UW?cvid=a56e06d70cf94a309de4808c7066b10d

Me and a buddy were talking about Olson, he is fast turning into a legit favorite

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of people think romo almost let slip the n word during chiefs bengals. Hard to say, it definitely started with n but he stopped himself.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    A lot of people think romo almost let slip the n word during chiefs bengals. Hard to say, it definitely started with n but he stopped himself.

I read about that, honestly I'm not sure what the heck he was thinking about saying, unfortunately it leaves a LOT to interpretation

@Darin said:

Let's don't go there......Nothing good will come from it....Let it go....

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    edited February 3, 2023 6:40PM

If you listen close enough it almost sounds like an auto broadcast program cut him off, got rid of the intolerable comment, then just cut right back into "Carry on" conversations.. I listen to WTAM talk radio and they have an instant "dump" program that cuts out any swear/unreasonable conversations but it's about a 5 second delay - guessing the NFL has a much more sofisticated program.

@Hydrant said:
    [Let's don't go there......Nothing good will come from it....Let it go....]

I was thinking the same thing but then I turned on the rap radio station here in Cleveland - Holy Crap - way WORSE than anything Romo MAY have said. AND THEY GET AWAY WITH IT - NO PROBLEM!