Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Indian Head Cent Official Thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven Thanks for sharing, very informative!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Happy New Year! I was looking for a coin to enter into an ugly contest! Anyone else have ugly IHC's?

I don't know where to begin describing this '68, ucky:

Bad, bad '65 Fancy 5:

Caked-on uglies for this '78:

The Reverse of this '07... a spotted owl!

• Tim

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

@redraider said:

This is the 1880 S-1 DDO/MDC.

Graded MS65RB with CAC and Photoseal. Rick thinks it should be in a full red holder and said he would consider sticker if it in MS66. I truly believe it is the finest known and looks better than the 65RDs in past auctions.

Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!! And double-stickered too!!!!! Way to go!

Enjoy!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭

Super nice cent! Interesting clash mark of kind of coin across the 'E' on the reverse. Do you have a possibility of what kind of coin it could be from?

• Options
    redraiderredraider Posts: 132 ✭✭✭✭

@batumi said:
    Super nice cent! Interesting clash mark of kind of coin across the 'E' on the reverse. Do you have a possibility of what kind of coin it could be from?

Yes it was an off centered die clash with the obverse Indian Cent that was somehow done before the die was made. It is one of the most collectible varieties in the series. If you look around the shield, you can make out some of the obverse lettering.

This variety also has a minor Doubled Die obverse, primarily visible on some letters of LIBERTY.

• Options

@winesteven said:

@redraider said:

Graded MS65RB with CAC and Photoseal. Rick thinks it should be in a full red holder and said he would consider sticker if it in MS66. I truly believe it is the finest known and looks better than the 65RDs in past auctions.

Enjoy!

Steve

I have a number of double stickered coins from Rick, this might be the only Indian Cent though. There are a bunch of small cent patterns that I have double stickered.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2023 12:57AM

@redraider said:

@winesteven said:

@redraider said:

Enjoy!

Steve

I have a number of double stickered coins from Rick, this might be the only Indian Cent though. There are a bunch of small cent patterns that I have double stickered.

I am in agreement @redraider, that 1880 looks red to me and an attention-getter for sure. Wowzas!

• Options

Anyone at FUN today?

• Options

I’ll be hanging around my IHC exhibit today from around 10:30 am until 2:00 pm, when I must leave that area since that’s when the Judges start. I cannot return until late morning on Friday, when the Judges finish. I think a few forum members may be meeting at my exhibit Friday at 2:00 pm.

Make sure to see all of the exhibits, and then vote for the exhibit you like best for The People’s Choice Award.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

Gorgeous! Congratulations!

• Options
    AndyKAndyK Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

Very sharp coin

• Options

@AndyK said:

I picked up this rather worn little Indian last night. This might be one of the coins I'm most excited about, from a historic perspective. It doesn't look like much but here's why I find it fascinating. It's a VF-35 with a reeded edge (J-300 Pattern - slabbed). I just think about the time this coin must have spent in circulation and without anyone noticing the reeded edges enough to pull it out.

That’s a cool one! It went for a very fair price IMO, congrats! I was able to snag an IHC pattern in the same auction last night. I was a bidder on another that got too rich for my blood, but it was a very rare example.

I found a Judd-300 in the wild last year, marked as a regular proof. It graded at PCGS PF65!

• Options
    AndyKAndyK Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

@redraider - congrats on your purchase as well, a couple of those pattern IHC's were a little to rich for my blood as well. Must be very exciting to find a coin like that in the wild!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AndyK said:

I picked up this rather worn little Indian last night. This might be one of the coins I'm most excited about, from a historic perspective. It doesn't look like much but here's why I find it fascinating. It's a VF-35 with a reeded edge (J-300 Pattern - slabbed). I just think about the time this coin must have spent in circulation and without anyone noticing the reeded edges enough to pull it out.

Very cool pick up! 👍

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@redraider said:
    Here is the one I was able to purchase. Its the Judd-356b variety.

It is interesting and noteworthy. Very few of these were struck on a thin Copper-Nickel planchet. What I loved about this example is the visible lithe lines on the obverse. This die was the same die that struck the 1864 Bronze no L Snow-11 variety.

I love the color on that coin.

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    Here's a one-in-the-neck 1897 IHC.
    Jim

Jes, I love those! It is really weird how a numeral like that can be so out-of-place!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, those are the sellers pics and not mine. The coin inhand is truly not near that bad looking. The closeup is my photo, but cannot seem to find my inhand photos of the whole obv/rev. There are quite a few of the IHC's that bear looking. Until I bought Rick Snow's books some 10 years ago or so, I knew of very few. Good luck.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought this coin from Gerry Fortin last summer. Nothing better than a full red IHC, however I could never afford even a handful of full red coins. And I am not a fan of many of the RB coins and the uneven toning that many have, so I tend to stick to BN designated IHC's. This one does have a touch of fireball red on the rev.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf pleasing! cool colors on the reverse... as you stated, firery red in places on the reverse! kinda neat!

• Options

Picked-up the Snow Attribution Guide two volume set at FUN but I haven't found the opportunity to crack them open yet.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    A little something I grabbed at the FUN show. Common but a little placeholder for now:

• Tim

I like the photos! They remind me a lot of how mine look.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Picked-up the Snow Attribution Guide two volume set at FUN but I haven't found the opportunity to crack them open yet.

Those are awesome, I got a set a few months ago, they are worth every penny of the price! 👍

• Options

Here is a local coin shop find NEWP. A raw RB choice unc. 1868:

Many of this date are replete with DDO's and the like. The U in UNITED looks recut perhaps along with some other minor lettering adjustments.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received this MS65BN from eBay.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:

Nice Bob
    Another christmas present???
    :o

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@robec said:

Nice Bob
    Another christmas present???
    :o

It was post Christmas and post Birthday.

It was a surprise win. I opened the bidding without putting a Max bid, then forgot about it. Apparently I was the only one to make a bid.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

You going to send it off for a green bean?
    Good luck

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file