Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Has anybody seen that 1919-P MS69 Lincoln? Or know who owns it?

I imagine Stewart Blay does (are you reading this, Stewart?), but I was curious to see if anybody has laid eyes upon the only MS69 wheat cent. I don't think I could tell the difference between it and a 67, but, yeah.

Comments

• For some reason I think Andy (from Angel Dee's) handled that one or saw it, I'm not 100% sure. I think he might be your best bet, I know he is in NY this week.

Rich
  • RELLARELLA Posts: 960 ✭✭✭
    Andy has a 1919 in MS68RD right now...very pretty coin and nicer than the MS67RDs that I've seen of the date but not a full grade better IMO. As for the MS69RD, back when owner/expert comments were shown in the Lincoln registry summary page, SB's set description did say that he had the 1919 in MS69RD...along with mentioning some pop1 MS68RD coins but I don't remember which coins they were.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Ok so what the heck is the difference between an MS69 from years ago and todays MS67's? I have a ms 67 1935 that is litterally perfect, not a nick on it. I don't think they give out MS69's any more. I bet if the MS69 was submitted today there is not a chance in hell it would be graded as such. Not to say that this is not a really nice coin and a early date lincoln to boot but MS69? I do wish PCGS actually graded lincoln according the MS69 definition "Virtually as struck with minuscule imperfections, near full strike necessary "
  • keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    clackamas,

I looked through the Heritage archives. A MS-68RD from 1919 sold in early 2001, and at that time, the population showed the MS-69, so I would suggest that the 69 has been around a while.

And the 2 MS-68RD's I've seen for the date are both in older, green-label holders.
    Keith ™

• STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Master Hanky

Yes, I do own the coin. Yes, I have recently seen it. As a matter of fact,I plan on seeing it tomorrow.

When I submitted the first ten coins ( all 1919 cents ) eight came back ms 67 and two came back ms 68. PCGS had never previously graded a wheat cent ms 68. When I submitted the next ten pieces, eight graded ms 68 and two pieces graded ms 67. I then submitted five ms 68's for review. One was clearly better. I earned the ms 69 grade.The coin glows in the light, has full mint bloom and frost like no other cent .

Stewart
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    STEWARTBLAYNUMIS,

That coin sounds stunning.
    Do you happen to have a scan or a digital picture?
    Thanks,

Kevin
  • sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    Stewart,
    Do you run tours for fellow New Yorkers :>

WOW, so at one point you owned the MS69 and 9 of the 14 current MS68s. Did you make any of the others? Did they all come from the same magic roll?
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Stewart, how about an occasional post of a photo of one of your Lincolns. I would love to see your 26 S, or any you care to share. Mark
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • RELLARELLA Posts: 960 ✭✭✭
    SOG,

Your "magic roll" theory seems to be how many of the high grade Lincolns are found/made. A great example: The pop in MS66RD of the late date key 1954 recently jumped from 66 to 76; at least 8 of those coins came from the same roll or group of rolls. Out of the new MS66RDs, three of those coins were PQ examples, and I've been informed that as of yesterday two of those coins are now in PCGS MS67RD holders (the third PQ example has yet to be resubmitted, but I'm sure it will be eventually and having seen the coin I am confident that it will also regrade at MS67RD). Right now two of only three MS67RD coins are from the same group.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    SOG - I made all but one of the 1919 ms 68 red Lincoln cents.Yes, I made 13 of the 14.The other one was made by Heritage and as far as I was concerned,it was a mistake. Of the seventy coins I bought, at the time was a record price, 13 graded ms 68, about 35 graded ms 67,1 graded ms69 and the rest graded ms 65 and ms 66.

Rella - Andy and I split a roll deal from 1934-1958. We paid stupid money for it because of the roll of 1954 P. Andy bought me out and then went partners with someone else. Then Andy had to buy out the other follow.This weekend he got the first two 1954 P's to go 67. I bought one of them.Alot of money,time and work is the reason these

P mints are so... expensive

Stewart
  • GerryGerry Posts: 456

I had a double treat on my visits to the ANA World's Fair of Money this week. The first treat was the opportunity to meet Stewart Blay on Tuesday and to hear, first-hand, about his passion for collecting Lincolns. He is interesting and engaging. He shared a little of his obviously wide and deep knowledge about the series with me and I am grateful for that.

But then there was a second treat -- on Thursday he sought me out again to show me his 1919 Lincoln in ms69rd, which he thoughtfully had brought to the show. Was I impressed? Yes, and that's the understatement of the year! I'm sure that the coin has to be the best mint state specimum of the Lincoln series in any date by far - certainly among the many I've seen. Wow - what a coin! Its color and luster were magnificent, and mechanically it was virtually flawless.

Before I caught my breath he showed me two other Lincolns which I also found to be absolutely fantastic - his 1955 DDO and 1909 VDB DDO. Again both were spectacular. I can only imagine what other great specimums he has. I have always heard that Stuart has the best of the best in
    Lincolns, and probably other copers as well, but the three coins he showed me brought home the fact that the distance between him and any competitors must be very large indeed.

I can only hope that some of you other Lincoln devotees also have an opportunity to see a few of his coins in the near future - scans would not do them justice - I predict that it will be one of the high points of your hobby life.
  • Gerry,

Your one lucky dog!!
  • sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    All I can imagine is Stewart walking through the streets of NYC with these coins in his pockets.
  • I know this is an old thread but the 1919 ms69 red Cent is being auctioned right now at Heritage and the bit is up to 137,000 with 2 days left

I am a wholesale buyer for major coin companies can save tremendous amounts of money for my private side also

• BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2023 5:24PM

Impressive coin!

Looking forward to see where it lands. I’d be surprised if it doesn’t show up in a registry set soon.

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

The final bid was $375,000 plus juice (minimum 10%) = $412,500

How sad that Stewart did not survive to see this incredible auction!

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:
    The final bid was $375,000 plus juice (minimum 10%) = $412,500

How sad that Stewart did not survive to see this incredible auction!

Sure, but he did get to own the best set of copper, with all the best specimens, and that's a lot more than most anybody else can or ever will say.