Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How did Whitman stay in business all these years

dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
It has been continuously pointed out that no one collected current issue coins until the state quarter program, so I wondered how Whitman stayed in business. I mean, they sell these blue folders for coins no one collects, so no one needs the folders. Anyone have an idea how they did it? Be nice to stay in business without selling anything.
Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Comments

• Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    must be a money-laundering front.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Don't they also sell chocolate? image

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget books such as the Red and Blue book, Photograde, and numerous other supplies.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    They did it by offering low-mintage collectors' edition folders that people hoarded. When major buyers' estates go up for auction the market will be flooded with them! image

It is also a well-known fact that no one collects foreign coins.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    I collect lots of moderns, not all, but many. Mainly, I collect proof and uncirculated sets. I belive that the mint produces somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 million sets a year so I'm obviously not alone. One thing I've recently been getting are the prestige sets from like '83 to '98. Has anyone really looked at the production numbers there? We are talking thousands, not millions made. It really baffles me why their value is so much less than the original mint issue price. All the sets I have show no discoloration, spotting or whatever and I pretty much pick them up whenever I can. Some of those sets have some really nice commemorative coins in them (if you like that sort of thing). I love my classic coins and get them when I can, but one day someone in my family will really appreciate the effort I put into moderns (I hope) image

As far as coin folders go, I don't use them. Someone must. . maybe it's what the drug dealers use to hide their crack money in image
  • Options
    Don't they also sell chocolate?

and chocolate has cocaine in it. ah-hah - mystery solved.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    they are cheap and every store in the world has them? for years we didn't know there was anything else.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I am guessing they also have a pretty good mark-up over cost of production, and probably do not need a tremendously large work force.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Whitman folders are like AOL disks - they're everywhere you look. The only difference is Whitman got paid for their folder.

As a side note, I have found a great use for AOL disks. I hang them in my garden to keep the birds out. Works very well!
  • Options
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Lucky that guy that just sold the 63 Lincoln for $32,000 didn't use one. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..........ah, methinks me smells a bit of sarcasm in thy post. his cladishness will be along posthaste to explain this strangest of phenomenon to thou!!!

it seems the underlying wit with your poser is that almost all young hobbyists got their start pushing pennies or another denomination into one of those blue books. hardly a collector can be found who never did, and the almost certainty when you find one is that his/her hobby started later in life. i was in a Walden bookstore before Christmas and just for the heck of it i wondered into the hobby section and guess what?????!!!!!!! theey had some Whitman folders, mainly lincoln cents and state quarters. what a surprise-----NOT!!!!!image

my folders were bought in the mid 60's and except for the dates and a little wear, looked current when i finally emptied them about 3 years ago. a good product. right now i have 2 sons who have 2 pregnant girlfriends and i can't think of a better way to get some new blood into the hobby than to start the grandkids off with some Whitman's!!! pennies of course.image

al h.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file