Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Coin grading

Is it possible to work from home grading coins

Answers

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be a coin dealer and sell raw coins and you can grade from home all you want! However, I guess you meant working for a respected TPG (NGC, PCGS or CAC) and, if so, essentially no.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Hello, Cash4coins84.

Yes, it is possible to work with coins from home as I did it. I didn't "grade" coins, but in 1999, I was looking over a Heritage Rare Coins catalog of coins and at the end, there was a listing for available positions. I applied and was given thorough testing to see if I qualified. I must have passed because I was granted a temporary cataloger position while their entire online system was being revamped. It lasted about 1 year and Heritage was wonderful to work for. It also gave me an opportunity to learn a great deal and pick up a few pieces for my collection that normally I would not be able to own on my school teacher's salary. I proudly keep my letter of recommendation from Bruce Scott, who was the Vice President at the time that I was employed by Heritage. By the way, I worked from home and Heritage sent excellent photos of coins for me to describe for their printed catalogs. I did not grade them. Great fun. Hard work but it was a terrific opportunity.

Piano1 Alan