Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

"Number registered by another member"

I'm new to this registry set stuff. I entered my PCGS cert # for a coin and PCGS returned "(number) registered by another member". I looked up the cert # and learned "This cert is currently in a user's private Set Registry Inventory."

What do I do now to claim this coin as part of my registry?

3 rim nicks away from Good

Comments

• PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

There are directions somewhere on the website. Essentially you need to send a removal request thru PCGS to the individual that has the coin still listed in their inventory. I think a button should have popped up when you attempted the add. If they don't respond with x amount of time, send pictures of the obv and reverse to customer service and they will do the transfer for you.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2022 8:54PM

Thanks, @PapiNE

I enter coins in my "Inventory" and only a few show up in my collection. Why doesn't all of my inventory show up in my collection?

Then I try to add one of these ignored coins and they say it doesn't match the "composite."

Why is it ignoring coins in my inventory?

Does it reject PCGS numbers for die marriages if this a date/mm set and not a variety set?

• PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2022 10:26PM

When you go into your set, all available coins from your inventory, and for that set, should be available to add. If it isn't, then for some reason it does not match that set. If you believe there is a coin that does indeed match but the set won't accept it, the page allows you to report it to PCGS and they will investigate. I haven't had this happen yet. Yes, the type set is very important to whether or not the coin can be added.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Half of my coins in inventory are that way. They won't "cross over" to the set. I cannot edit anything.

I spent several hours on this registry stuff and I may just forget it. Too frustrating and difficult. I've sent too many notes to PCGS to fix stuff. Too bad.

• JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2022 6:04AM

@Barberian said:
    I'm new to this registry set stuff. I entered my PCGS cert # for a coin and PCGS returned "(number) registered by another member". I looked up the cert # and learned "This cert is currently in a user's private Set Registry Inventory."

If You buy a used car - You get a title that shows someone else's name as the Owner

In order to change the title into Your name there is a process You must follow - title changes don't "cross over" by themselves

Set Registry is very similar - entering the cert number is a claim You make for ownership of the coin - if that coin is registered to someone else You need to follow the removal process to prove that You own the coin

The alert box that appears when the cert is registered to someone else has simple instructions to follow - You check the box - the Removal Request gets sent to the cert Owner - if the prev owner doesn't release the coin cert within 3 Bus Days You follow the Manual Process to request the Removal

Easy-Peasy

Most cellphone users could benefit from the knowledge of the nearest 9-year-old to explain what the phone can do besides making a phone call - Set Registry is not all that different

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• This is a real problem.The last 3 coins I purchased, were not released by the previous owner. The coins are still in their sets or inventory. People, you cannot sell your coins and keep them in your sets. You are causing undue problems for the real owner. I believe you should be removed from the Set Registry. After all, it's not hard to release your sold coins, and it's not hard to release your coins, if you get a removal request. I'm sick of it, and I'm not sending any more pictures to PCGS. There is no reason to punish me, and not the real crook. They can use my coins in their set. I do not care any more.

Michael T. Claus
    RegistryNut

• RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

@XOX - This is a frustrating part of the process.
    Welcome to the boards.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a slim chance what you have is a counterfeit copy.

I have to admit though, I have coins in my inventory I am not sure if I have sold :(

• PwrHseProPwrHsePro Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

When that happens to me I get a pop up that says to notify (either PCGS or whoever has it listed I don't recall which) if they don't take care of it within X amount of time, I think you send proof of ownership to PCGS and they handle it...

One time when this happened to me, I the owner said that they had the coin and were not selling it... the person I was buying from was trying to scam me. They downloaded pics to use in an eBay auction. Now, before I pay, I check to see if it is registered and if so have the seller release it before I pay.

I mainly collect raw Ancients, PCGS Mercury Dimes, and raw CSA'S... but have misc other sets...Jeffhttps://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/set/215647https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/showcase/8378

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our hosts have always been good to me. I've had multiple coins ( somewhere around 80 to 90 ) that I've purchase and in my possession.  Tried entering into my sets, BAMMM  !!!!  Still in somebody elses set.  Send the message on the pop-up. Wait 3 business days. If still not released, I take a picture, send it off and give them a day.  Had to call on the 2nd business day after sending the picture on maybe 8 or 10 coins.  Within the hour they were in my set.
    I purchased a single coin from the same buyer on four occasions.  Had to follow the process on all four.  I found them in his registry set ( wasn't hard, single digit pops ).  Now I brought it up to registry that according to their rules the previous owner can have his entire set removed from the registry for failing to remove a sold coin from their set.  NOT GONNA HAPPEN. The only beef I have with the registry. I was told," it's possible the registry owner has passed on "  Well, he sold me the damn coin. 

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2023 2:01PM

Its tricky the first time you do it, but It’s pretty easy to get a coin removed from someone else’s inventory and also to get a coin added to a set if it doesn’t automatically get added. I recently had to do both things with a Jefferson nickel. To get it removed from the other persons inventory I had to send pictures of the coin in its slab to PCGS and to get the coin recognized for my registry set I had to use the request button. Heres some of the emails that PCGS sent me to guide me through the process for both things

Mr_Spud

To get the coin removed from someone else’s inventory, which I didn’t know I’d need to do so until I tried to add it, the process gets started automatically. I use the registry app and when I added the cert number in the “quick add” thingy below it sent me a pop up message and automatically emailed me the email in the above post that started the process

Mr_Spud

And this is how I learned what to do to get a coin in my inventory to be accepted to a set. It’s part of an email that PCGS sent me the first time I needed to get a coin accepted into a set. I emailed them and they sent these instructions to me so I could automatically do this if I needed to.

Mr_Spud

And here’s where the “report a cert that should match this composite” link is located

Mr_Spud

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just checked my inventory to see if any had been sold. I removed one that I sold 15 moinths ago. I have never gotten any requests to remove (as far as I know).

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2023 8:22PM

I'll be biding on a few coins this weekend and I know that they are still in the registry from the person that has them up for auction.
    I sure hope that after they sell that they remove them so the winners can registry them without having to wait and go through the BS.
    Hope you're wacthing.............. <3

FYI - just now I tried to enter in a new purchase to my inventory and it’s still in someone else’s registry. I got the pop up notice and used the opportunity to take a screen shot to share with the group in this thread. It looks like this

I already received the email. If, after 3 days the other person doesn’t remove it from their inventory I’ll have to upload images in links that PCGS will give me.

Mr_Spud

Mr_Spud (Tim)
    I just had to do this for 11 YES 11 coins that I just bought because the selfish seller didn't or won't remove them from there inventory..............AHHHH
    I sent them emails to remove them.
    If they don't I will have to photo each coin and submit to PCGS.................
    What's a matter with these people.....................

Yeah, I end up doing this fairly often, only it doesn’t really bother me that much. I think it adds a layer of protection against counterfeit slabs. Like if a coin is registered and multiple copies of the same cert number start showing up it hopefully triggers an investigation. It’s sort of like having a chain of custody inside of the PCGS computer. At least that’s what I tell myself to give me the patience to go through the process… 😉

Mr_Spud

• Vandaleak_CollectionVandaleak_Collection Posts: 65 ✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2023 3:00PM

I see this as part and parcel of collecting and building PCGS registry sets. It’s sad but some collectors are just rude and inconsiderate. Go to a coin show and you know very quickly how rude and horrible some people are. Elbows everywhere and politeness out the door. Don’t therefore be surprised that some people don’t want to release coins.

Anyway, as long as you have the coin in hand it will be in your registry within a week. It is not rocket science. I did get annoyed and stressed about this initially, but I believe in just being patient and building my sets slowly.

I make a particular point of releasing coins as soon as I consign them for auction or as soon as I get requests where they have sold privately. I see absolutely NO point in wanting to keep them in a set if I have decided to sell them. It is just selfish otherwise.

If anyone does do this, then shame on them and it’s just prolonging the inevitable anyway.

Cheers.

Andrew.

Andrew
    Welcome to the boards

I don't understand your comment below:

Anyway, as long as you have the coin in hand it will be in your registry within a week.

If I don't take action, take pics of the coin and submit them to PCGS the coins will stay in the "Selfish" persons set that won't release the coin untill I take action.

• @alaura22 said:
    Andrew
    Welcome to the boards

Anyway, as long as you have the coin in hand it will be in your registry within a week.

If I don't take action, take pics of the coin and submit them to PCGS the coins will stay in the "Selfish" persons set that won't release the coin untill I take action.

Apologies for not being clear, and thank you for your kind welcome!

What I meant was that as long as you have the coin in hand, and you take pictures, within a week it will be available. Indeed, in my recent experience after the three days had passed I uploaded pictures and within a few hours of uploading I got the notification from PCGS that the coin had been released.

I agree with your point however, as we should not have to upload pictures etc…I cannot understand why someone would refuse these requests when they no longer own the coin.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vandaleak_Collection said:

@alaura22 said:
    Andrew
    Welcome to the boards

Apologies for not being clear, and thank you for your kind welcome!

What I meant was that as long as you have the coin in hand, and you take pictures, within a week it will be available. Indeed, in my recent experience after the three days had passed I uploaded pictures and within a few hours of uploading I got the notification from PCGS that the coin had been released.

I agree with your point however, as we should not have to upload pictures etc…I cannot understand why someone would refuse these requests when they no longer own the coin.

They may not have actually received the request. Their computer may be down. They might be in the hospital. They might be dead.

• They may not have actually received the request. Their computer may be down. They might be in the hospital. They might be dead.

Very true. Which is why the policy/procedure allows for PCGS to remove once pictures are shared. The fact that this is being discussed does perhaps show it is an issue. Not everyone has a personal or computer problem. Some are genuinely just being selfish.

edited March 11, 2023 7:29AM

Over 3 million people die in the US each year. Probably thousands of them were PCGS coin collectors. That would mean tens of thousands of their coins end up in coin shops, auctions, pawn shops, estate sales, etc.

Not all of their relatives or estates know details about registry sets, know their password to the PCGS site, or even know how to delete the coins. The pawn or coins shops have no way to delete them from their sets either, any more than anyone else.

In some cases, if a person receives a notice, they don't release the coin because they actually still own it. Many coins lately have had their certificates copied and put into fake slabs. That is why the photos help PCGS determine if there is a potential counterfeit slab.

This has happened to me twice in the past two years and the other owner who was probably upset and thought I was selfish, was told by PCGS the coin he just bought was in a fake holder. Edited to add that I also had to send in photos of my coins, when I told PCGS I still owned them, so they could decide whose coins were legitimate.

This issue has been discussed many times, but the actual number of "selfish" collectors is very small compared to the number of coins and situations described above.

• Thank you. However, I am not talking about issues where the PCGS service is actually needed (e.g. the owner dying or as you set out above) but where there is a conscious decision to not release. This HAS happened to me on a number of occasions in respect to both US (for Franklin and Ike coins) and UK (half sovereigns) based collectors.

My position is to release coins as soon as they are either consigned to auction or they have sold, and before they are posted. This is because it is the right thing to do. Those who choose not to do this (rather than have no choice because of death, for instance) are the point of this discussion, at least from my perspective. Of course not everyone is selfish but whilst you set out a very good argument for reasons why some coins are not released upon request, you have not addressed or confirmed your view of those who decide not to release.

You obviously don’t have to share your view, I am just curious as to whether it is an issue for you at all? As a collector does it not bother you if another collector decides to ignore the notifications for release of coins?

How do you know they deliberately decided not to release? Are they keeping them in a registry set that you know is still theirs and active just to spite you? Of course, that would be very annoying.

I have been on the PCGS registry for more than 15 years, have had more than 200 registry sets, and only have had to send in photos 3 times to get coins released including the two I mentioned above.

Sorry to hear you are off to such a rough start. Best of luck.

• It’s probably just bad luck for me. I’ve been on the PCGS registry for around four or five years. In cases where I have bought a coin at auction, via dealers or privately and the coin is in a private registry or published set, invariably I have had to send in pictures.

I thought it was a common issue.

My apologies for using the word ‘selfish’ as it obviously is not a common problem or issue.

Best to move on and I do reflect on my earlier comment that I am actually content to send pictures etc. I just find it frustrating that I have to do so.

Cheers.

@Goldminers said
    I have been on the PCGS registry for more than 15 years, have had more than 200 registry sets, and only have had to send in photos 3 times to get coins released including the two I mentioned above.

I must be an unlucky one too. I've literally had to request release, wait 3 days and send photos on about 60 to 70 coins and I've only been in the Registry for less than 5 years. Yes it is a problem but I wait a week or so to be able to enter coins into my set. Not a big deal. Most of these coins were purchased off of eBay. While waiting out the process I done a little sleuthing and found the coins in a registry set. ( High grade for the series so it wasn't that hard. ) Turns out close to half of these coins were from the same seller. His sets are still active so he/she is not deceased.
    I did talk to registry as the rules say that a member can have his sets removed for failure to release. I was told
    " maybe they don't have a computer, or are deceased " Yet the sets are still active, upgrading and changing still. So this certainly does not apply.

@Tom147 said:

@Goldminers said

I must be an unlucky one too. I've literally had to request release, wait 3 days and send photos on about 60 to 70 coins and I've only been in the Registry for less than 5 years. Yes it is a problem but I wait a week or so to be able to enter coins into my set. Not a big deal. Most of these coins were purchased off of eBay. While waiting out the process I done a little sleuthing and found the coins in a registry set. ( High grade for the series so it wasn't that hard. ) Turns out close to half of these coins were from the same seller. His sets are still active so he/she is not deceased.
    I did talk to registry as the rules say that a member can have his sets removed for failure to release. I was told
    " maybe they don't have a computer, or are deceased " Yet the sets are still active, upgrading and changing still. So this certainly does not apply.

Sounds like this should be reported to the PCGS registry again with more details. Since you are having so many problems, it is also wasting their time, too. They should be able to tell if there is one bad apple that is hurting their reputation or if something else is going on like copied certificates. I would call and ask again for some help. @HeatherBoyd

Why do you keep buying from this seller? Seems like an unusual situation. Good luck.

edited March 11, 2023 9:54PM

@Goldminers said:

Sounds like this should be reported to the PCGS registry again with more details. Since you are having so many problems, it is also wasting their time, too. They should be able to tell if there is one bad apple that is hurting their reputation or if something else is going on like copied certificates. I would call and ask again for some help. @HeatherBoyd

Why do you keep buying from this seller? Seems like an unusual situation. Good luck.

Goldminers,
    I just had to submit pics for 11 coins, front and back to PCGS to get the cert released.
    When I asked if they would take any action against the owner that didn't release them they said no because they don't want to create any problems.
    I know that the coins came from an active set! so in this case a" selfish owner"!

Very sorry to hear the PCGS may have a new policy of no enforcement. If this is all happening so often now, it is not good for honest collectors and their long-term business.

I actually bought somewhere around 23 or 24 coins in separate eBay auctions in the same week from this seller. this was late 2019. When they arrived none were released. Went through the wait & pictures process. Not a huge deal to me really. Early 2021 another another dozen or so. I recognized the seller. While waiting for them to arrive I found them still in his Registry set. Once again, the same process. I talked to Registry then. " Well maybe this, or maybe that " Got the feeling they weren't going to follow their own rules. Sometime early last year I once again purchased from the same seller, 1 coin. Knowing I would go through the process. SURPRISE !!! Entered the #, and added right away. Either he changed his ways, or just had something to do with easy to remove 1 coin but he didn't want to do it for a bigger group. As it's been said on this forum, " patience, patience, patience ". Although I would like to enter MY coins once I have them in hand, I did use the " what if " option to check where my ranking changed before the cert #'s were released.
    I've had 3 different incidents where our hosts have emailed me about releasing a cert # in my possession. As I'm a collector and not a seller of any sort I was puzzled. I had to take pictures and send them off showing the coin was still in my possession. I called the Registry # to ask whats up ? I was told usually someone entered the wrong cert #.
    I can see that happening as my inventory shows I have a Booker T Washington half in my possession. NO I DON'T. What coin in my collection isn't listed in inventory as I've obviously typed in a wrong #. And with close to 1,700 PCGS slabs, I'm not going through that hassle to find out.