Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mods - Where are the Mods ???

hvellentehvellente Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
edited November 29, 2022 9:39AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Afternoon all -

I'm trying to close my account here but can't find an (obvious) button for that on my account page.

So I wrote to the Customer Service email address a couple times, but not reply...

So, anyone know how to close an account here?

Please advise.

(Yes, I know, I can just not sign-in anymore, but that doesn't close my account now does it?)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

They will probably eventually get back to you. In the meantime, I'm not sure what problem is created by having a zombie account that you don't use.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2022 3:57PM

@hvellente said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    They will probably eventually get back to you. In the meantime, I'm not sure what problem is created by having a zombie account that you don't use.

Like I said, I have my reasons for not wanting a "zombie account." Isn't that good enough?

Sure, but, if they don't delete your entire post history when they close your account, whatever reason you have for not wanting a zombie account will be moot. In that case, the only effect will be taking the account offline, which is no different from you just not using it anymore.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2022 4:00PM

@HeatherBoyd @PCGS_Moderator

I flagged your post so a moderator should see your post along with the alert I've made by tagging them here.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been here and gone a few times over more than a decade

Got a few zombie accounts because I forgot or stopped using associated emails.... Maybe they can clean up mine as well... (ressikanflute, unclebob, are two I remember)

Nothing nefarious has happened.

Hope you come back.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

I think closing an account is a reasonable request.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can also flag your own posts, I believe.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2022 6:24PM

Au contraire mon frère, not their choice at all. Contract law prohibits illusory clauses and perpetual contracts, but let's not get too far off-topic. (PM if you'd like to review case law on the matter.)

Just hoping the Mods see my thread and delete my account. I thought it would be so easy...

Thanks again to all for reading reading this, and please flag my thread so the Mods will see this.

I dunno, but I'd be VERY interested in seeing the case that says the owner of a forum on a website cannot impose any terms it sees fit on users as a condition of being allowed to open an account and post on the hosted site.

Not sure about illusory clauses or perpetual contracts, but, since you are offering to review case law, I'd love a pointer to the case that would render this section of their TOS unenforceable:

"Submissions: Except where expressly provided otherwise by CU, all comments, feedback, information and data submitted to CU through, in association with or in regard to the Website and/or any other CU goods or services ("Submissions") shall be considered non-confidential and CU’s property. This may not include copyright ownership of images which you may upload, but does include an express license to use said images in any method CU sees fit and make compilations and derivative works thereof in all media now known or hereafter devised. Except as expressly enumerated in the preceding sentence, by providing such Submissions to CU, you agree to assign to CU, as consideration in exchange for the use of the Website, all worldwide rights, title and interest in copyrights and other intellectual property rights to the Submissions. You represent that you have the right to grant CU these rights. CU shall be free to use and/or disseminate such Submissions on an unrestricted basis for any purpose. You acknowledge that you are responsible for the Submissions that you provide, and that you, not CU, have full responsibility for the Submissions, including their legality, reliability, appropriateness, originality and copyright."

Sure looks like their choice to me. You gave up your choice when you posted.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

It cost nothing so why not just go silent and ignore it.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

To quote CB: good grief.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just stop posting. They won’t delete all of your posts if that is what you are seeking. Not sure why you would need that.

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

They will probably just block you from posting.

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭

Just so everyone understands, what exactly do you mean by closing your account? Describe the outcome you want?

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2022 8:21PM

Let’s see what this guy sez about who is in charge of this forum. He’s got some interesting views as an owner.
    Here’s the judge 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@hvellente said:

@Smudge said:
    It cost nothing so why not just go silent and ignore it.

Ugh, come on guys!

I tried to be polite in my original post... you read my post, right? I know I can just walk away, but I want to close my account. This is not a debate. If that upsets you in any way, please flag my post and hopefully the mods will close my account!

Doesn't upset US at all.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2022 8:38PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    He didn't say that he wanted that. He says he wants the account closed which would simply prevent further activity.

If that’s all “closing an account” means for this forum, then there is really no difference between that, and the user simply abandoning the account.

I’m guessing he wants something more than that.

• Options

@hvellente said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Doesn't upset US at all.

By implication of your selective capitalization, shall I assume that you think that I am upset?

Not at all, my friend. Please re-read my post up above. Pretty calm and polite methinks. Just trying to close my account. Thought my request to close my account was perfectly reasonable. Yet some folks keep questioning why I want to close my account, others suggest I just walk away. Neither response achieves my goal.

With any luck, the Mods should be along soon to close this thread and my account. Good luck to all.

What does closing your account actually mean?

• Options

@hvellente said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Doesn't upset US at all.

By implication of your selective capitalization, shall I assume that you think that I am upset?

Not at all, my friend. Please re-read my post up above. Pretty calm and polite methinks. Just trying to close my account. Thought my request to close my account was perfectly reasonable. Yet some folks keep questioning why I want to close my account, others suggest I just walk away. Neither response achieves my goal.

With any luck, the Mods should be along soon to close this thread and my account. Good luck to all.

We're not really clear what the goal is. I also don't think most of us care other than some idle curiosity.

• Options
    HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2022 9:29PM

NLI…
    …but for those who have nothing to do but post sarcastic remarks, correct grammar and post 5000 times a year check @jmlanzaf for my remarks. I think he’s the archive police.

• Options

@HashTag said:
    @hvellente I totally understand. I did indeed have all my posts, awards and sets completely erased ATS. I politely requested to be banned for life and they initially refused stating I’ve never been warned, slapped etc. In a one sentence response on their boards my wish was granted AND they voluntarily refunded my annual fee. I realize you don’t want to burn bridges but sometimes blowing up bridges is the only way to get what you want. Just saying. Good Luck. Also I went back on the boards here to delete some (wouldn’t let me) so I just edited to “NLI” no longer interested).

That's why we like to quote people. Prevents their posts ever being changed or deleted!

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jclovescoins said:
    Just stop posting. They won’t delete all of your posts if that is what you are seeking. Not sure why you would need that.

He didn't say that he wanted that. He says he wants the account closed which would simply prevent further activity. They have deleted threads. I can't recall a case where they deleted a person's posts.

I'm torn between a desire to simply ignore him and a desire to shower him with love. He's done an awful lot of posting today for someone who wants to leave.

:wink:

This sure is one interesting thread. Go ahead and show that love. :D

• Options
    edited November 28, 2022 9:01PM

What does closing an account mean?

With everything you’ve said on this thread, why don’t you at least define for us what exactly you want to happen?

• Options

@hvellente said:

@yspsales said:
    My guess is a future ex wife's lawyer might discover his hoard of coins hiding in a SDB?

Nothing so nefarious, but I appreciate the humor!

I have a very simple reason to close my account, but the forum seemingly has no such option, so I came here for advice. Seems like nobody knows how to close an account on this forum. At this point it's just a matter of principle.

A couple folks suggested the "nuclear option" but - out of respect for the members here - I hope not to force the Mods to ban me.

I’m pretty sure if they ban you, all of your posts will remain along with your user name. How is that any different than just walking away?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read this thread when it was first posted and chose not to respond at that time, but it is like the Energizer Bunny and it keeps going and going and going and going...

I'm not certain what closing your account is actually defined as, but since you don't want to simply walk away and not post any longer I will assume that closing the account means that you would like to prohibit the ability for your current username to post, send PMs, access PMs or login permanently and immediately. I don't believe you are attempting to delete your posts since you can currently do that quite easily and your posting history isn't so large that it would be a burden. Essentially, it looks to me that you are wanting, for lack of a better term, a voluntary banning.

However, I would suggest to tread lightly if you decide to actively promote a banning through out-of-line posts since I don't believe banned members have any content deleted, aside from the offensive post(s), but they do lose some functionality on the site.

In the end, I am left wondering what the underlying issue is here, though I neither really care nor need to know. Regardless, good luck in your future endeavors and I hope they are stress-free.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I wish I had a Time Machine to go back to the DW moderation meltdown days :D

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has to be one of the most bizarre threads I've seen in a long time 🤔

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course, if someone snapshots this on the Wayback Machine before it disappears, then even the mods will be powerless to remove all traces of the OP's gracing us with his presence.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

No reason there shouldn't be an option to close your account if you want to.

Be patient and I'm sure Heather will be happy to assist you, give it a day or 2. ;)

This discussion has been closed.