Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Absurd Detail. Pic.

Click for Absurdity

Father recently procured a new Cannon printer, scanner, fax and this is what we got when we scanned 3 coins on the highest detail possible. Keep in mind the detail would be even more ludacris had the image not been jpgifed. I did not feel like posting a 22 meg picture so that had to be done.

remember to press the button in the bottom right of the picture to enlarge.

Comments

• Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I get it. What's absurd about it? Sorry, I guess I'm a little numb right now.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Those are some very detailed images... I'm glad I have DSL.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Set the scanner to 300 DPI that should be plenty

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    coppercoins, you must press enlarge button by hovering mouse

kelso, yes, 300 was good also. these are 1200 dpi image
  • Options
    Suggestion #254:

Scan at the it's highest OPTICAL resoluiton and use a good photo app like photoshop to do final cropping, image re-sizing and color balance/brightness/contrast setpoints and you may even be able to clean it up a bit by sharpening the image. For really cool effects, scan and play with levels. This will make many of the impurities and marks stand out like a sore thumb. For a good example, try an old cent piece.
  • Options
    Interesting drago, what is the highest optical resoultion?

and what are levels?
  • Options
    That depends on your scanner, but it should be in it's documentation. Lots of scanners have the ability to scan at much higher than their optics can truly "see" and they use built in software to increase the resolution (unwise to use unless you have the moolah for a drum scanner).

Levels are selected in the image menu in photoshop. It is basically a graph of how much pure white (RGB 0, 0, 0) and black (RGB 255, 255, 255) are used in the image. In any given image, not all of the spectum is used to render it. It takes some practice, but you can eventually master the art of manipulating this and other measured values in the image.

IMHO, a good scanner and Photoshop are invaluable tools when evaluating coins (for average Joe collector). You will find that it allows you to "see" things a loupe will not show you or are difficult to see.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

That Jefferson's pretty dinged up
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Draco is correct about the usefulness of a scanner and an application like photoshop. The combination is very helpful in picking out the slightest flaw in potential very high grade coins.

• Options
    Plus learning about image size compression and cropping will help get the best image for posting on the web.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I sat here for about 5 minutes waiting for the picture to load thinking boy my dsl is slow then I realized I was looking at a white background that was already loaded.
    You gotta admit it's a pretty good picture for only 240kb.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options

<< <i>I sat here for about 5 minutes waiting for the picture to load thinking boy my dsl is slow then I realized I was looking at a white background that was already loaded. >>

Sure sign that another cupajoe is needed! image
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Theres some common coins in the picture its not blank maybe you need to scroll.

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    Likewise, I don't get it. HP scanner I use is four years old, cost under $100, and does up to 9600 dpi. My picture files are frequently larger than 22 megs before jpg. Only thing I can see is that I don't need to upgrade my equipment yet, hooray!!
    redhott
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    redhott if you have a scan to email feature in your HP then use that. I use HP and it took me a loooong time to finally get decent scans of coins. There's also no need to scan larger than 100 dpi for coins. More dpi makes a bigger pict but not necessarily a more detailed one.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I see a big scan of common coins. I still don't get what's absurd about it.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    Yes, I think it took about six to nine months until I was happy with my scanning ability. I don't think I ever tried scanning above 600 dpi, since you're right, it just isn't necessary. I'm curious though. What in the world would it be that would be scanned at 9,600 dpi?? I can't imagine.
    redhott
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
    Looks good. Now can you tell me how to get detailed scans of coins in a slab? I also have a Canon all-in-one, and slabbed coins come out as a very pretty gray circle.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file