Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hello! And Some Questions

Hi guys! New guy here. I recently got back to collecting after many, many years. I have a modest collection, as I sort of jumpstarted right back into it. Primarily, Baseball, Hockey, and Wrestling...and mostly vintage. I do have have some questions, and probably many more to come lol.

Do you catalog your collection? What app do you use? I use Cardbase and CollX, but I'm finding faults with both. Cardbase seems to be more accurate with tracking pricing, etc, but lots of times I can't find the card that I have. It's the opposite with CollX, Cardbase is free up to 100 cards, CollX no limit. So, I just catalog my better cards on Cardbase.

Also, are the 2001 Baseball eTopps collectible?
Like I said, I will probably have many more questions going forward. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

What app do you use? my memory... B)

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards. Your pledge name is blowfish.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mostly use excel spreadsheets. For the graded stuff I use the PSA registry inventory tools.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I created my own Excel spreadsheet for graded and non-graded cards. I keep a running tally of how much I spend for each card or set and also add in what was sold as a negative dollar amount. It's great in keeping track of what you have in your collection, but the downside is that the current values of each item are not present. It is just too much of a tedious task to enter all those in only to have to update them again sometime down the line.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Excel spreadsheet. Never thought of that. Thanks! And @DBesse27, I see your avatar. I recently acquired a Yaz rookie (one of my favorites growing up) and had it graded. It's a SGC 5.5 I love that card! :)

• jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

I use an excel spreadsheet and tcdb.com (trading card database) to keep track of my Longoria collection.

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

Excel and PSA registry.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Looks like I'm similar to others. I have an Excel spreadsheet and also use the PSA registry.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Troy_T said:
    Excel spreadsheet. Never thought of that. Thanks! And @DBesse27, I see your avatar. I recently acquired a Yaz rookie (one of my favorites growing up) and had it graded. It's a SGC 5.5 I love that card! :)

Sounds like an awesome card, would love to see a pic. My avatar is my favorite card, an autographed copy with PSA 3 card grade. I also have a PSA 5 (unsigned).

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use an Excel spreadsheet like many here. I have also used Vintage Card Prices (https://vintagecardprices.com). It's a nice way to catalog graded cards with up to date sales data. However it is a bit pricey with an annual membership fee of $179.

• Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

This thread makes me feel lazy

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

I religiously use Trading Card Database to properly identify my cards. I think there's even a "Your Collection" option on there to add which cards you have in your collection, but I don't use it for that.

I don't catalog my collection, but if I were to do it, I would just use Excel or even use Google Sheets which is basically Excel online but you can access and edit it from anywhere. You can choose to keep it private, or share it with others.

Pricing is subjective, but if I were to try to assign a price to any of my cards I would rely on recent ebay sales.

Good luck!

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, hello, how are ya? welcome :)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2022 5:11PM

Welcome Troy!

Since you're getting back in, I do have one piece of advice.

Not sure what or how you collected before but I have 3 simple rules.

1. Establish a strict FOCUS.
    2. Establish a strict BUDGET.
    3. Never, never ever break rule 1 or 2.

What's your plans? Which sports? Do you like any memorabilia as opposed to just cards?

Best of luck buddy.

PS: not a fan of eTopps.

Mike
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome

Every card I buy goes on the PSA registry. Generally, for sets I am working on. I keep track of date, my cost, where and put a pic on. If no set, then you can put it into a showcase and name it anything you want.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chicago1976 said:
    I use an Excel spreadsheet like many here. I have also used Vintage Card Prices (https://vintagecardprices.com). It's a nice way to catalog graded cards with up to date sales data. However it is a bit pricey with an annual membership fee of $179.

And worth every penny. Every time I've contacted them I've had a resolution within an hour.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Welcome Troy!

What's your plans? Which sports? Do you like any memorabilia as opposed to just cards?

Best of luck buddy.

I'm a fan of anything that gets Mike to make an appearance.

• @Stone193 said:
    Welcome Troy!

Best of luck buddy.

Thank you and thank you all. So, this is what I'm doing so far. I'm using the Cardbase app for my higher profile cards. I like this app because I look on my phone and on a PC. It tracks all cards pretty spot on. For my other cards, I use the app CollX because there is no limit to what I can add and it identifies all cards very well.

I sort of jump started in and have spent a little more than I have liked to, but we all know how addictive it can be. It's all good though. Right now, I'm collecting my favorite players, etc from Baseball & Hockey. I like collecting Wrestling too....mostly all vintage. Yes, I love collecting all memorabilia!

Thanks!