Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question on PSA 6 EX-MT Condition

I still get the odd PSA 6 back and quite often cannot find the defect on the card that brings it down to this grade. Sometimes it's clear, but I have several cases where it is not. I'm hoping others can help me here. I've re-checked the definition PSA has on their web site. Here are the points they mention for reference:

• A PSA EX-MT 6 card may have visible surface wear or a printing defect which does not detract from its overall appeal.
  • A very light scratch may be detected only upon close inspection.
  • Corners may have slightly graduated fraying.
  • Picture focus may be slightly out-of-register.
  • Card may show some loss of original gloss, may have minor wax stain on reverse, may exhibit very slight notching on edges and may also show some off-whiteness on borders.
  • Centering must be 80/20 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.

Other than corners, I do not see any of these on this card. I expected a couple of the corners to bring this to about a PSA 8 as everything else looks quite good in my opinion. I don't see any scratches/stains/marks on the surface which I would be suspicious of with a PSA 6 card.

Any thoughts are welcome here!

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2022 11:45AM

The corners look terrible.... A PSA 7 would have been generous based on what the pics show. For the PSA 8 the corners would have to be slightly touched. You have corners that are the opposite of "slightly"! And you have edge chipping...

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a solid 6.
    Almost a 6.25

I’ve seen weaker 6’s.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

6 is definitely right and it’s definitely the corners. Remember, thick cards are so tough to grade because they essentially have 8 corners.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Thanks, guys!

I didn't think the corners would get hit quite as harshly. I would say the top two corners don't look as bad in person to me as the zoomed in pictures shows. The card is very thick though, and I know these are tough to grade. I think the card is like 180pt. The corners to me seemed to still at least be sharp enough despite the white on them. Here are a couple of pictures I took prior to grading:

Back:

Anyway, I'll take my lumps with that one. I wanted to get it slabbed regardless and was happy the auto grade came back nicely.

I've got another PSA 6 that I will take some pictures of later. This one is a standard sized card. Maybe you sleuths can point me in the right direction on this one. :smile:

• Options

I agree with you on the vintage cards, and nice collection there! Nothing wrong with those 6s. They still have beautiful eye appeal.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA 6. Chaz

• Options

Here's one more that puzzled me. As I was taking the pictures though, I noticed what looks like a yellowish printing line on the back at the bottom. The camera picks it up better than my eyes in person. I think this fits under the printing defect point in the definition? The 6 makes perfect sense if so.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Great looking cards. the 71' Mays is the maybe the only one that looks like it should be a 6 & those are the one of the toughest cards to have graded.