Home Autographs Forum

Autopens

JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 22, 2022 4:27AM in Autographs Forum

I thought I would start a thread where we can post confirmed autopen patterns for any individual who used or uses them. I know this thread can become a useful tool if we all add to it from time to time.

Comments

• jimqjimq Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

If you wrote to nolan ryan asking for an auto and didn't include a donation you got this autopen auto. I sent a photo I took at his last win and got this,

• JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed Ketanji Brown Jackson autopen:

My friend found this posted on Facebook and I think it is extremely helpful/interesting.

I thought I would post this here since it’s one of Barack Obama’s current autopen patterns he uses. This one was used on a book sent to him ttm. I have seen this autopen on some of his other books and sadly seen some sell for $400+ on eBay over the past year. I have also seen it on bookplates he sends out that were also sold on eBay for hundreds. I have yet heard of an authentic response from Obama ttm post presidency.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few of those. :)

As I recall, things you sent to him were usually authentically signed.

@JBK said:

That’s good to know. Many of the FDCs I saw looked authentic so that makes perfect sense.

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:

That’s good to know. Many of the FDCs I saw looked authentic so that makes perfect sense.

Yes, i got a few FDCs and they were always real.

edited November 18, 2022 8:14AM

Just thought I would inform people here that the recent Bob Dylan “The Philosophy of Modern Song” signed books, despite costing $500, are all autopen. There have been three different companies selling them over the past few months. Just wanted to warn people these are autopen, not authentic. One company, Simon & Schuster, even went as far as providing a letter stating these signed editions are authentic hand signed books. :#

I learned about all this from another autograph forum. The image below shows two examples, each from a different company. Both are autopen (although different autopen patterns, likely more to be found).

On another note, several months ago a Dolly Parton signed book all turned out to be autopen signed. There were at least 7 patterns found and the autopen signatures were very deceptively placed on the books - some manipulated to force the pen to shake/move differently to cause some variation in signatures. Also they were placed in different areas of signed page and some even made with different thickness and size. It was very crazy. Oddly the James Patterson signatures in these same books were authentic.

A few months ago I found three autographed Kenny Loggins books at a BJ's Wholesale Club. They looked good and had definite variations.

I was thinking of buying one and almost as an afterthought I did an internet search. I found identical signatures, confirming autopen. :/

@JBK said:
    A few months ago I found three autographed Kenny Loggins books at a BJ's Wholesale Club. They looked good and had definite variations.

I was thinking of buying one and almost as an afterthought I did an internet search. I found identical signatures, confirming autopen. :/

Wow! Smart move to look them up before buying. It’s nice that we have the ability to do that with our smartphones.

We should post any and all known autopens that have been found in signed books, past and present. It’s good to know about the older ones in case someone finds one on eBay thinking they got a deal. I know that Michael Crichton had a special “signed” edition of Jurassic Park with dinosaur plates that turned out had an autopen signature. I believe these were from like 15-20 years ago.

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just a shame people fork over that kind of money, hoping for an autograph of their favorite celebrity, and it turns out to be autopen. I'm glad I don't waste my time with such pre-sales and so on.

Here are some of the Dolly Parton autopen examples. I will post some of the Bob Dylan ones as they come in. These are from the other autograph forum.

Bob Dylan autopen patterns so far.

Yet another

This one you can see the tall tale signs pretty clearly.

The odd thing about these is that the template(s) used might not even be from Bob Dylan’s signature. It’s very unusual looking to even look like his autograph. Very strange.

Which reminds me, although not autopen, the recent Greta Thunberg signed books have a very different looking signature than what we were used to a few years ago. Some claim it changed due to her being a young adult now but no one knows for sure. It’s questionable in my opinion.

Here is a grouping of five of the Bob Dylan “signatures” so far.

A confirmed match has been found!

We can assume there will be a lot of different patterns (maybe ten or more perhaps for this release of books?) I seem to recall Dolly Parton’s had at least 7 confirmed matches.

13 autopen patterns found so far for the Bob Dylan book. :o:#>:)

edited November 19, 2022 10:25AM