Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1952 - 1961 Topps totally complete!)

Comments

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2022 4:07PM

Back on July 16th of this year, I made a posted a TTM return of Bill DeWitt, Jr, majority owner of the Cardinals. I had sent him some team cards. He signed 3 on the front and 5 on the back. I think the pen he was using was not showing up good on the front so he went to the back on the rest. Anyway, I wanted to try to get him to sign those on the front.

On 9/6/22 I decided to try those again. I had raw duplicates of the 2006 and 2007 Topps team cards so I sent those along with rest of the ones he signed on the back. I sent a Post It Note with the cards kindly asking him to sign the front. It worked. He them returned 13 days later on 9/19. I am very satisfied with these.

2004 Topps Cardinals team card signed by Bill DeWitt, Jr (front and back)
    2005 Topps Cardinals team card signed by Bill DeWitt, Jr (front and back)
    2006 Topps Cardinals team card signed by Bill DeWitt, Jr (front )
    2007 Topps Cardinals team card signed by Bill DeWitt, Jr (front)
    2010 Topps Cardinals team card signed by Bill DeWitt, Jr (front and back)

Since these are replacements, none of these will add to the total.

Total still remains at 2,232.

Cardinals-Autographs-889

Shane

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:
    Here is a surprisingly tough one for some reason. This 1995 Topps Todd Zeile was one that has alluded me for some time now. I finally snagged one.

As for the total, it will remain the same for the reason below.

Just a few minutes ago I discovered that I mistakenly counted a duplicate 1979 Topps Tom Bruno signature (multi-player rookie card). Detailed explanation is on page 5 on the post from 10/10/08. This info is really not for anybody expect me. I just like keeping track of everything. Early on I really didn't have a handle on how I wanted to do things. I am more detailed now. I'm sure I have made plenty of mistakes in counting that I haven't caught yet. In the grand scheme of things, the count really doesn't matter. However, if I'm going to do it, I might as well do it right.

Total stays at 2,232.

Cardinals-Autographs-888

Before I essentially gave up on them, I was chasing the Topps trophy cards and could never even find a 1995 Klesko signed. I was starting to think he maybe refused to sign it. One pops up now on ebay every now and again for around $20. Not paying $20 for a Ryan Klesko! $5, maybe $8-10, but that is pushing it. His auto is otherwise cheap and plentiful, even certified cards. You sometimes really have to pay a steep penalty to get a specific item signed.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2022 7:18PM

@mrmopar said:

@frankhardy said:
    Here is a surprisingly tough one for some reason. This 1995 Topps Todd Zeile was one that has alluded me for some time now. I finally snagged one.

As for the total, it will remain the same for the reason below.

Just a few minutes ago I discovered that I mistakenly counted a duplicate 1979 Topps Tom Bruno signature (multi-player rookie card). Detailed explanation is on page 5 on the post from 10/10/08. This info is really not for anybody expect me. I just like keeping track of everything. Early on I really didn't have a handle on how I wanted to do things. I am more detailed now. I'm sure I have made plenty of mistakes in counting that I haven't caught yet. In the grand scheme of things, the count really doesn't matter. However, if I'm going to do it, I might as well do it right.

Total stays at 2,232.

Cardinals-Autographs-888

Before I essentially gave up on them, I was chasing the Topps trophy cards and could never even find a 1995 Klesko signed. I was starting to think he maybe refused to sign it. One pops up now on ebay every now and again for around $20. Not paying $20 for a Ryan Klesko! $5, maybe $8-10, but that is pushing it. His auto is otherwise cheap and plentiful, even certified cards. You sometimes really have to pay a steep penalty to get a specific item signed.

Very true. The difference is that most of the time I am willing to pay a premium, unless it is ridiculous.

Shane

• Options
    edited October 22, 2022 11:56AM

Up next is a 2004 Topps #723 Albert Pujols Sporting News AS. It comes from a reputable Ebay seller who obtained it in person at Cincinnati's Great American Ballpark. This is a very hurried signature.

As Albert Pujols' signature has evolved over the last 20+ years, I have done my best to study it and get a handle on it. In short, I am very comfortable with this one being authentic, although it is not his best looking signature. In recent years, his hurried signature looks like this. This one may be one of the most hurried signatures I have seen. However, I have seen similar ones authenticated by PSA/DNA and JSA.

Some fake Pujols signatures are laughable, some are decent, and some are very good. I have turned down my share of Pujols "signatures". Even though this one is hurried, it passes my test.

The new total is now 2,233.

Cardinals-Autographs-890

Shane

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

Nice adds Shane! Love the Pujols and am glad you re-sent the team cards to Mr. DeWitt. Those look awesome!!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

A team owner taking the time to help with a project like this is just profoundly cool.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2022 10:45AM

Here is another tough one. These league leaders cards can be a struggle to find, especially with someone like Boyer, who died in 1982.

This is a 1964 Topps RBI League Leaders featuring the signature of Ken Boyer slabbed by PSA/DNA. This was an Ebay purchase. The signature is light, but legible.

Total is now 2,235.

Cardinals-Autographs-892

Shane

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

Wow… you know…. Just wow!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

I still need a few more to get caught up.

Here is a 2005 Topps #710 Jim Edmonds Gold Glove Award Winner. Jim Edmonds, in my opinion, is one of the best defensive centerfielders ever. I got this one from another St Louis source via Ebay. I have bought a few from him over the years via phone conversations, text, and Ebay. He gets them IP at shows and other events.

Total is now 2,236.

Cardinals-Autographs-893

Shane

• Options
    edited November 11, 2022 2:59PM

Up next is a 2 card post.

Here is a 1960 Topps Cardinals coaches card signed by Ray Katt and Harry Walker. I already had one signed by Ray Katt, so this one only adds 1 to the total. Johnny Keane and Howie Pollet are going to be tough to find. Keane died in 1967 and Pollet died in 1974. Let me rephrase that....they are going to be SUPER TOUGH! Here is something else to note....Keane was the 3rd base coach and was not manager until mid-way through the 1961 season. Why did they have to make a coaches card!!!

Also, here is a 1968 Topps #157 World Series Game #7 (titled "St Louis Wins It") featuring a signature by Red Schoendienst. My personal rule for cards like this is that if the card does not have any players named then it can be signed by any member of the team, even if not pictured. I prefer that it be signed by someone pictured, but it doesn't have to be. Many of these type of World Series subset cards have players named, like Lou Brock, Nellie Briles, and Bob Gibson. Those must be signed by that player. I have the Briles and Brock, but still need the Gibson. I also have card #158 titled "The Cardinals Celebrate" that is signed by Tim McCarver and he is also pictured, but not named. Anyway....that was just an explanation of how I do things.

The number increases by 2 to make the total 2,238.

Cardinals-Autographs-894

Shane

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2022 3:16PM

I was really enjoying this thread until the double counting of Tom Bruno. I mean , cmon!

;)

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    I was really enjoying this thread until the double counting of Tom Bruno. I mean , cmon!

;)

Counting Tom Bruno once.....absolutely necessary.

Double counting Tom Bruno....way, way too much for anybody!

Shane

• Options

Wow….glad you posted this one Shane!!!! I played soccer in high school with Mike Lavallier!!!!

Thanks for sharing it!!!

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

@threeofsix said:
    Wow….glad you posted this one Shane!!!! I played soccer in high school with Mike Lavallier!!!!

Thanks for sharing it!!!

That is neat!

Shane

• Options

Up next is a 2003 Topps #702 Jim Edmonds Gold Glove Award Winners. Even though this signature is a little on the hurried side, it passes my test. It comes from a reputable seller that has several Jim Edmonds signed cards.

The new total is 2,240.

Cardinals-Autographs-896

Shane

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow Shane, your really moving along!!!

I really love the triple signed 1987 Cardinals Leaders. Congrats on your recent pickups.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

Up next is a very tough SP card with a very tough signature. Here is a 2002 Topps Traded Chuck Finley. This one was obtained via a rare private signing.

New total is 2,242.

Cardinals-Autographs-898

Shane

• Options

Loving the progress Shane!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
  • Options

Up next is a 2008 Topps Update Kyle Lohse. I got this one from my source in St Louis via Ebay. He apparently didn't know I needed this one when I made a deal for all of his modern ones. I bought all of his 2008 Topps. This one must have slipped through. Glad to get it.

New total is now 2,244.

Cardinals-Autographs-900

Shane

• Options
    edited November 26, 2022 4:40PM

Here is a 2007 Topps Update Scott Spiezio. Cardinals fans remember very well this guy sparking a World Series run in 2006. His dad, Ed Spiezio, also played for the Cardinals. I have his 1965, 1967, and 1968 Topps cards signed as well. He did not have a 1966 Topps. Scott has also overcome some addictions in his life and turned things around lately. I am happy for him! This one comes from a reputable seller on Ebay.

This one raises the total to 2,245.

Cardinals-Autographs-901

Shane

• Options

Here is a 2002 Topps So Taguchi. I have searching for this one for a while.

Mr Taguchi will always be one of my favorite nice guys. I remember back in 2006, my now 22 year old son was 5 years old. We were at Busch Stadium and the players were warming up. Drew was yelling, "Albert, Albert". He wanted to get Albert Pujols to sign his name on his baseball. Albert was stretching 100 feet from us, but Drew couldn't get his attention. He was in "the zone" like always. Drew started crying. It was the most pitiful site with big ole' tears running down his face. We were right next to the dugout and So Taguchi saw what was happening. He motioned for Drew to come over to him and with a smile on his face, he signed his baseball. He still has it displayed in his room. I smile right now thinking about it!

This makes the total rise to 2.246.

Cardinals-Autographs-902

Shane

• Options
    edited December 3, 2022 11:13AM

Here are 5 more that I recently added via a Mark McGwire private signing a few days ago. These are the last ones that I needed to have an entire run of Cardinals Mark McGwire Topps cards that are signed. I think his later autographs are remarkably consistent. These cards are subset cards in the 2000 Topps Set (even the foil cards).

2000 Topps #232 Mark McGwire 20th Century's Best HR
    2000 Topps #456 Mark McGwire HL
    2000 Topps #462 Mark McGwire HR LL
    2000 Topps #463 Mark McGwire RBI LL
    2000 Topps #469 Mark McGwire 20th Century's Best SLG

The new total is 2,251.

Cardinals-Autographs-903

Cardinals-Autographs-904

Cardinals-Autographs-905

Cardinals-Autographs-906

Cardinals-Autographs-907

Shane

• Options
    edited December 2, 2022 8:29PM

Nice score on the 5 McGwire's!!! If all 5 are new, that gives you a total of 2251.

Congrats, Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options

@divecchia said:
    Nice score on the 5 McGwire's!!! If all 5 are new, that gives you a total of 2251.

Congrats, Donato

Ha! Glad you are keeping me on my toes! I posted that last night before we went out to eat so I was in a bit of a hurry.

Shane

• Options

Here are a couple of non regular cards from the 1969 set. Here is a 1969 Topps #107 2nd Series Checklist featuring Bob Gibson. Also, here is a 1969 Topps #162 WS Game 1 featuring Bob Gibson. I have been looking for both of these for a few years. Fortunately, the same reputable Ebay seller listed both. These type of cards can be difficult to find signed, especially the checklist.

The new total is now 2,253.

Cardinals-Autographs-908

Shane

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shane, great story, and that card looks fantastic signed in red!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

I take that back....I forgot about something. I actually have 2 that I am waiting for from 2 different private signings. One of them is - MASSIVE! I can't wait to get it back. I should be here any day!

Shane

• Options

Say it ain’t so Joe!!!

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

Just got a huge one!

This is a 2004 Topps #40 Albert Pujols. I got this one via a private signing from SCN. I could only afford to pay for one. I think there will be other private signings in the future. I hope so because I have several that I need signed. This one comes with a Beckett "Witnessed" hologram on the back.

This one makes the total 2,258,

Cardinals-Autographs-913

Cardinals-Autographs-914

Shane

• Options

I hate to move on from the Pujols because it is one of my absolute favorites.

I just got this one back yesterday. It is a 2003 Topps #305 Postseason Highlights signed by Matt Morris. I discovered that Matt Morris was doing a very rare private signing a few weeks ago and sent this one in since he is pictured here celebrating a NLDS victory over the D'Backs. Matt Morris very rarely signs, so this one is more important than it appears.

Given how rare a Matt Morris private signing is, after it was too late I realized that I still need a 2006 Topps signed. He is featured as part of his new team, the Giants, but he is pictured in a Cardinals uniform. I wish I had looked closer at my spreadsheet. Who knows when he will do another one or if I will find one. I will be on the lookout and have been for a while now.

This one raises the total to 2,259.

Cardinals-Autographs-915

Shane

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

that Pujols does look perfect
    it's hard to look away, Haha
    congrats!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

This acquisition has one of the best background stories behind it that I have had in this 15+ year journey.

@Tibor - my heartfelt thanks goes out to you for this.

On Christmas Eve of this year I opened the mail and got a tremendous surprise. I get a small box addressed to me. I opened it up and I see a note from @Tibor saying "Merry Christmas". It has 25 Topps Cardinals that were signed. At this point, having around 95% of all Topps Cardinals signed, I was expecting these all to be duplicates, which still goes good in my collection. I have another album that has all of my duplicates as well as other signed Cardinals items such as other brands of cards, index cards, cuts, photos, etc. My Topps duplicates are growing and I enjoy those just as well.

As I was thumbing through this stack of 25 cards, one jumped out at me and my brain couldn't fully process it. I could not believe my eyes. There was one that I did not have and I have been looking for it for years. It was a 2002 Topps Traded Jason Isringhausen!

On the surface you might be thinking, "Nice pickup, but not a huge deal", right? Wrong! Not only have I been looking for this signed card for years, I recently had settled for just looking for an UNSIGNED card to purchase just IN CASE Mr Isringhausen decided to have a private signing some day. See, the veteran cards of the 2002 Topps Topps Traded Set are short printed (SP). I have not been able to find a Jason Isringhausen, although it looks as though I have missed on a couple in the last couple of months. I guess my search parameters were not fine tuned enough.

Complete sets are available, but they sell for $300-$400. One that I missed out on was a team set of Scott Rolen, Jason Isringhausen, and Chuck Finely for less than $18. One seller has listed 4 Scott Rolen cards at auction that have sold for between $64 and $93. I ended up with one of those because I am wanting to do the same thing with the Rolen card if he has a private signing in the future. I have already been successful with Chuck Finley - finding an unsigned card and sending to a private signing a few weeks ago.

I do have a complete set for my Topps set run as well as one in my Cardinals team set collection (unsigned). If I was not able to find one unsigned for a future private signing, I was going to have to rob my team set or complete set. He has not had a private signing in nearly 2 years anyway.

Needless to say I was very excited when I saw this card. Here is a 2002 Topps Traded Jason Isringhausen.

Thanks again @Tibor

The total is now 2,260.

Cardinals-Autographs-916

Shane

• Options

@Tibor - What a terrific gesture on your part. This is what the hobby is all about; helping collectors grow their collection.

Donato

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad I was able to help. You have quite the collection. Being a side line
    Cardinals fan, I've not heard of some of these guys. Didn't realize that Mike
    Tyson switched sports. :D

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, would not have guessed that regular semistar cards from a traded set would be worth so much! Nice gesture indeed, even w/o the surprise SP auto. Like to see stuff like that happen.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

That's awesome! Super gesture there. Congrats!!

• Options

• Options

@Ironwill said:

I agree 100% wholeheartedly.

Shane

• Options

@Tibor & @frankhardy

Fabulous story!!!!

Amazing generosity!!!

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

Shane,

I'm sure it's a great feeling when you pick up an older auto.

Congratulations of finishing up the 1971 Topps Cardinals autos.

Donato

• Options

This is a 2013 Topps Brian Fuentes. There are a few Topps Brian Fuentes available, but not many regular (base) Topps, especially this one. I have been looking for a long time and was finally able to snag one from an SCN user who was able to get it at a private signing. Fuentes retired shortly after this card was released so this one signed is a little more scarce.

Total is now 2,262.

Cardinals-Autographs-918

Shane