• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Congrats on a super pull.

Daniel
  • secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    Very nice! Congrats on a super pull.

What was it? Let's see how long we can keep the thread going. xD

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was pulled from Topps Series 2 box break. It was a Wander Franco 1/1 card of some sort with a sticker auto, not an on card auto. I'm not familiar enough with the product to recall what the card was, exactly. Not sure why the OP would post a picture and inquire for an estimate of value, only to quickly remove the posting.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet card?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

I concur

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

The centering is nice. Do we want to do a GTG?

edited September 14, 2022 11:55AM

Since there is no picture, I remember when a breaker recently tried to keep this Wander Franco card in a player break since it didn't have his name on the card... LOL

• Hey guys. I deleted the post because the card is damaged and I needed to speak with Topps about it. Pretty bummed out too. I did a live break and had the rays for 2022 topps series 2. No issues whatsoever with the breaker. I buy stuff from him all the time and have never had a problem. He pulled a Wander Franco Baseball stars RC Auto 1/1! What a card right? Well turns out it has a very hard to see surface crease on the front bottom left near the sticker auto. I believe this to be a manufacturing defect. No crease on the back. I have spoken with Topps and they really aren't much help. Said I can return the card but that they cannot guarantee I get the same card back but they will guarantee I get a card of similar value. Not sure how you determine value of a WF 1/1 card. Also said it will take 6-8 months. I will have the card in hand tomorrow. So that's they mystery. I removed the post because wasn't sure if it needed to stay up. I'd appreciate any help you can give. I don't do a lot on message boards so sorry if I broke protocols or something. I feel like this card could be an incredible blessing for me and my family. Very disappointed it's damaged.

Thanks for the help

edited September 15, 2022 8:52AM

I don't have any history with trusting topps for replacements, but I wouldn't consider waiting 6 months in this type of market and I wouldn't trust that anyone can actually give a fair equal value because who is the decider...

Put it up on ebay /auction house in a one-touch with the details of the surface crease, or send to PSA to authenticate only without a number grade and let it ride with an auction house. 1/1's and grading are only a formality to verify the authenticity anyway.

• Appreciate that advice very much. Thanks.

@secretstash said:
    I don't have any history with trusting topps for replacements, but I wouldn't consider waiting 6 months in this type of market and I wouldn't trust that anyone can actually give a fair equal value because who is the decider...

Put it up on ebay /auction house in a one-touch with the details of the surface crease, or send to PSA to authenticate only without a number grade and let it ride with an auction house. 1/1's and grading are only a formality to verify the authenticity anyway.

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Great pull. If it wasn't for the sticker, one could argue that the player bent it while handing it. Stickers and redemptions suck. I would wait a season before selling. He will be better next year.

• I understand what you all are saying, but is it wrong to get a 1/1 graded? Just seems like it gives the buyer peace of mind knowing that the card is whatever grade it gets. I’m just trying to learn. And yeah I’m anxious about it. I want to sell it lol.

• Card is in hand!

• Looks good!

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pull - congrats.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

@charlesreed00 said:
    I understand what you all are saying, but is it wrong to get a 1/1 graded? Just seems like it gives the buyer peace of mind knowing that the card is whatever grade it gets. I’m just trying to learn. And yeah I’m anxious about it. I want to sell it lol.

No, it is not “wrong” to get it graded.

It’s very much worth it; a PSA slab is always a nice addition for a card like that.

I think what people are intimating is that as a one of one, the grade doesn’t really matter too much. A PSA 10 distinguishes an example as being a standout copy of a mass produced card. As a 1/1 card, there are no other examples with which to compare it. With /5, /10, /25 examples the PSA 10 makes a more significant difference if they’re not all of the same grade.

Hope this helps somewhat; I say send it west.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@charlesreed00 said:
    I understand what you all are saying, but is it wrong to get a 1/1 graded? Just seems like it gives the buyer peace of mind knowing that the card is whatever grade it gets. I’m just trying to learn. And yeah I’m anxious about it. I want to sell it lol.

No, it is not “wrong” to get it graded.

It’s very much worth it; a PSA slab is always a nice addition for a card like that.

I think what people are intimating is that as a one of one, the grade doesn’t really matter too much. A PSA 10 distinguishes an example as being a standout copy of a mass produced card. As a 1/1 card, there are no other examples with which to compare it. With /5, /10, /25 examples the PSA 10 makes a more significant difference if they’re not all of the same grade.

Hope this helps somewhat; I say send it west.

In fact it will help even more because you'll have PSA's assurance that it's authentic.

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Totally agree - grade it!

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

Authenticate only - a grade of 4 or 5 may turn off folks

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• 19591959 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Grade it and if you don't like the grade, Pop it out. No one will know what the grade was. (unless it is listed in the PSA 1/1).

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1959 said:
    Grade it and if you don't like the grade, Pop it out. No one will know what the grade was. (unless it is listed in the PSA 1/1).

For the modern stuff can you ask for a minimum grade?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

@1959 said:

Will be on the census and since 1/1 removing it from slab may taint a future transaction. However what you mentioned would work for any non 1/1 or 1/2 :)

You are correct sir. You could send it to SGC first. Then mabe to PSA. But I think a 1/1 need not be graded. ITs the only one so what does the grade matter.??

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

Is that even possible? I mean you can ask for the auto to be authenticated only, but a card?

@Cakes said:

@1959 said:

For the modern stuff can you ask for a minimum grade?

Why wouldn't you? I think 4SC does this so they aren't bothered having to break out all their 7s to send them to their raw card branch, but this is largely speculation on my part.

@daltex said:

Is that even possible? I mean you can ask for the auto to be authenticated only, but a card?

Yes.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

@daltex said:

I've seen cards slabbed as authentic with no grade

• to me the grade matters because of the small surface crease on this card. I feel like if card did not have that issue then grade probably wouldn't matter Getting it graded gives buyer peace of mind in my opinion. But I've been told PSA will probably charge me $1000 or more to grade it based on potential value. So I really don't know what to do.

@1959 said:
    You are correct sir. You could send it to SGC first. Then mabe to PSA. But I think a 1/1 need not be graded. ITs the only one so what does the grade matter.??

SGC is only 30.00 . 1000.00 is way to much.

@charlesreed00 said:
    to me the grade matters because of the small surface crease on this card. I feel like if card did not have that issue then grade probably wouldn't matter Getting it graded gives buyer peace of mind in my opinion. But I've been told PSA will probably charge me $1000 or more to grade it based on potential value. So I really don't know what to do.

@1959 said:

charles,

I think you are over thinking this situation and the crease. Send it to PSA and see what they think, I have a feeling it's much more likely to get a PSA 8 grade or higher than it would get a PSA 6 or lower. You can ask for a minimum grade? It's not going to be a $1,000 charge, that's for cards $25,000 and higher. It could possible be $300 which has a declared value of $4,999.

Good luck, it really is a nice looking card. IMHO it's a great design, I like it better than 95% of the modern stuff.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

@Cakes said:

@charlesreed00 said:
    to me the grade matters because of the small surface crease on this card. I feel like if card did not have that issue then grade probably wouldn't matter Getting it graded gives buyer peace of mind in my opinion. But I've been told PSA will probably charge me $1000 or more to grade it based on potential value. So I really don't know what to do.

@1959 said:

charles,

I think you are over thinking this situation and the crease. Send it to PSA and see what they think, I have a feeling it's much more likely to get a PSA 8 grade or higher than it would get a PSA 6 or lower. You can ask for a minimum grade? It's not going to be a $1,000 charge, that's for cards $25,000 and higher. It could possible be $300 which has a declared value of $4,999.

Good luck, it really is a nice looking card. IMHO it's a great design, I like it better than 95% of the modern stuff.

I’m not sure how somebody with your experience could tell him it’s likely PSA 8 or higher with a surface wrinkle. By their grading standards, that wrinkle likely limits the card to a PSA 4.

Yaz Master Set

edited September 23, 2022 7:00AM

@DBesse27 said:

@Cakes said:

@charlesreed00 said:

@1959 said:

charles,

I’m not sure how somebody with your experience could tell him it’s likely PSA 8 or higher with a surface wrinkle. By their grading standards, that wrinkle likely limits the card to a PSA 4.

I understand your point above but I should have made it clearer I would not send it in without requesting a min grade.

I disagree on the surface wrinkle and the severity. Everyone has assumed that a small blemish will crush the grade and I think it will only be a couple of points.

Edited to add after looking close at the card the bottom left corner looks dinged. My assumption above was based on it being nearly perfect besides that small blemish.

• It's very disappointing that Topps would create such a valuable card and it comes damaged. I am more than likely going to send it to PSA for grading. Can you request a min grade? I didn't know that was an option. Also, someone from Golden Auctions has contacted me about the card. Currently they have a 2022 Topps 1st Edition Baseball Stars Auto Platinum WF Signed RC 1/1. It has one day left on the auction and has not received any bids. They started bids at $1000. It's PSA Authentic but not graded. Seems to me that card would be more valuable than the one I have. Options, options, options.

@Cakes said:

@DBesse27 said:

@Cakes said:

@charlesreed00 said:

@1959 said:

charles,

I understand your point above but I should have made it clearer I would not send it in without requesting a min grade.

I disagree on the surface wrinkle and the severity. Everyone has assumed that a small blemish will crush the grade and I think it will only be a couple of points.

Edited to add after looking close at the card the bottom left corner looks dinged. My assumption above was based on it being nearly perfect besides that small blemish.

Per their grading standards, any wrinkle (or crease) is a 4 max. Doesn't matter if it's small.

Yaz Master Set

@DBesse27 said:

@Cakes said:

@DBesse27 said:

@Cakes said:

@charlesreed00 said:

@1959 said:

charles,

Per their grading standards, any wrinkle (or crease) is a 4 max. Doesn't matter if it's small.

I am not sure it's a crease, I would have to see it in person to be honest.

My response to the OP was based off his posts. He had made it clear he wanted to send it to PSA to be graded so I wanted to let him know that he wasn't going to get charged a $1,000, that is way more likely $300 or lower. I wanted the OP to be aware that with the influx of new graders the modern grading standards can vary drastically and he could request a min grade.

edited September 23, 2022 12:11PM

@DBesse27 said:

We see PSA 5's - 6's every day with surface wrinkles. I don't think they stick closely at all to their guideline like you are making it seem. There have also been numerous threads over the years stating this same thing.

@secretstash said:

@DBesse27 said:

We see PSA 5's - 6's every day with surface wrinkles. I don't think they stick closely at all to their guideline like you are making it seem. There have also been numerous threads over the years stating this same thing.

In my experience and the experiences of those I sub with, a 5 with a surface wrinkle is extremely rare, and a 6 just doesn’t happen. I can’t speak to whether it’s ever happened though, it’s true. Still, Cakes said it could be PSA 8 or higher. Can we at least agree that an 8 or higher is outside the realm of possibility? And would the OP be happy with a PSA 5 ?

Yaz Master Set

edited September 23, 2022 1:21PM

@DBesse27 said:

@secretstash said:

@DBesse27 said:

In my experience and the experiences of those I sub with, a 5 with a surface wrinkle is extremely rare, and a 6 just doesn’t happen. I can’t speak to whether it’s ever happened though, it’s true. Still, Cakes said it could be PSA 8 or higher. Can we at least agree that an 8 or higher is outside the realm of possibility? And would the OP be happy with a PSA 5 ?

I think my overall advice was excellent based on what the OP had been posting so why focus on one point. To be clear I said
    **" I think you are over thinking this situation and the crease. Send it to PSA and see what they think, I have a feeling it's much more likely to get a PSA 8 grade or higher than it would get a PSA 6 or lower. You can ask for a minimum grade? It's not going to be a $1,000 charge, that's for cards $25,000 and higher. It could possible be $300 which has a declared value of $4,999.

Good luck, it really is a nice looking card. IMHO it's a great design, I like it better than 95% of the modern stuff."**

I’m bowing out. OP, if it were me I’d only have it slabbed “authentic” and not with a number grade. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Yaz Master Set

What is the benefit of requesting a minimum grade? I mean perhaps the OP doesn't understand that requesting a Min Grade doesn't obligate PSA to grade the card at that grade and, if PSA doesn't consider the card worth at least the grade requested it will be returned raw and he'll be charged anyway.

It makes a lot more sense if it's submitted in another company's holder (as a crossover) or if you have a raw sales operation where you sell nice cards that don't make the grade.

• update.....it got a 4 grade and auto got a 10. From a pack to a holder to PSA. Can't believe Topps would damage a card of that magnitude. I wish there was a way to REALLY voice my displease toward Topps. Oh well. I finally get a card of a lifetime and it gets a 4. just unreal.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that the card graded so low. Still a great card on any condition.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

@charlesreed00

Just a couple thoughts for you:

1) if it makes you feel any better, most cards pulled out of packs are not tens. I do not believe Topps produces cards to be graded, either, but that they produce them to be collected. The fact that people sell them or grade them really has very little to do with Topps, you know?

2) You also got a very good assessment of the card from many, especially @DBesse27 and some solid advice, too, on how to handle it when submitting it.

3) I will reiterate to you that the value of your card really hasn’t changed at all and I don’t think it would really have any higher upside as a PSA 10/10. It’s a one of one card and the ultimate sale price will correlate more to the success of the player and how many people want to compete for the card because it is a 1/1 rather than it’s ‘condition’. If it were a /5, a /25 etc., sure, it would be a bigger deal because a better condition card would theoretically devalue a lower graded example.

4) I would also heed the advice to consider holding it until he has (at least started to have) a better season next year.

5) Participating in breaks is essentially a better odds version of (and for card collectors more fun than) playing the lottery. You won! Be happy about it!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• I agree with all your points. And yes I did get many good assessments on how to proceed. I'm very appreciative for all of that. It was amazing to pull that card. Thanks to all of you

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    @charlesreed00

Just a couple thoughts for you:

1) if it makes you feel any better, most cards pulled out of packs are not tens. I do not believe Topps produces cards to be graded, either, but that they produce them to be collected. The fact that people sell them or grade them really has very little to do with Topps, you know?

2) You also got a very good assessment of the card from many, especially @DBesse27 and some solid advice, too, on how to handle it when submitting it.

3) I will reiterate to you that the value of your card really hasn’t changed at all and I don’t think it would really have any higher upside as a PSA 10/10. It’s a one of one card and the ultimate sale price will correlate more to the success of the player and how many people want to compete for the card because it is a 1/1 rather than it’s ‘condition’. If it were a /5, a /25 etc., sure, it would be a bigger deal because a better condition card would theoretically devalue a lower graded example.

4) I would also heed the advice to consider holding it until he has (at least started to have) a better season next year.

5) Participating in breaks is essentially a better odds version of (and for card collectors more fun than) playing the lottery. You won! Be happy about it!

• @DBesse27 you nailed it my friend.

@DBesse27 said:

@Cakes said:

@DBesse27 said:

@Cakes said:

@charlesreed00 said:

@1959 said:

charles,

@charlesreed00 said:
    @DBesse27 you nailed it my friend.

@DBesse27 said:

@Cakes said:

@DBesse27 said:

@Cakes said:

@charlesreed00 said:

@1959 said:

charles,

I wish for your sake that I was wrong. Slabbing it authentic prob was the better move. Still, try not to hang your head. As @1951WheatiesPremium said, you still hit the lottery with a 1/1 auto.

Yaz Master Set

edited October 28, 2022 8:46AM

Nice call DBesse!

OP, You can still crack and resub at a later date.> @DBesse27 said:

@charlesreed00 said:
    @DBesse27 you nailed it my friend.

@DBesse27 said:

@Cakes said:

@DBesse27 said:

@Cakes said:

@charlesreed00 said:

@1959 said:

charles,

I wish for your sake that I was wrong. Slabbing it authentic prob was the better move. Still, try not to hang your head. As @1951WheatiesPremium said, you still hit the lottery with a 1/1 auto.

Nice call DBesse!

OP, You can still crack and resub at a later date. Or send to another grading company.

I think I found the card on ebay:

https://ebay.com/itm/225220453287?hash=item34702f63a7:g:i64AAOSw1FpjVxWx&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAABAL5pZU4zdGzzhX%2B6zE6gdJofsYzehq84pF81nWD8Ii8s4b%2BFIMJrXruk63iLSnpqiN%2BGkIn%2BJL9z3iqCE6Y7e80Ze5mn4TRMfALavbfkC3%2BD0e1%2Fk8Ocqa4D77UzmOc9N0YHGx%2FGLeSjqlfnLhZt%2B%2FDjZf9HOsfjqtADtFWa%2Ff%2B3HNbatasXgBz6iclUBcc5297Ec3dvBj8vQi8KfFrREo0rXT13I0GImnhu482K7fz4%2BUfNq5H1lkQxtd6O8iS6PXyVw6hyQfMh6XJXbMzaEtkCy0rVtqqroX6Kia7QsAD4LcwEypxa9lP4%2BYio%2FA8JXC1nVhQ8p%2Ff9d5jISA4iUTc%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMvuOj9INh