Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Reholdering of a PCGS coin with a CAC sticker.

divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like I may have to get a PCGS coin reholdered. What are the standard procedures for sending a coin back to PCGS for a reholder if it has a CAC sticker on it? For example, does one have to specifically tell PCGS to return the flip so that it can be sent in to CAC for a resticker or does PCGS know to do it automatically? If you don’t mind sharing, please let me know your individual procedures regarding a reholder of a coin that has a CAC sticker.

Thanks for your time, Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

Best Answers

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@divecchia said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@divecchia said:
    Sorry, my question needed to be more specific. If I get it reholdered it is because the cert is a 7 digit cert that is no longer active or working in the PCGS database. When I type it in a different coin comes up. I was told by a PCGS rep that the only way to get the coin into my inventory or in my registry sets is to get it reholdered. I do not really want to do it as it is an older holder.

Edited to add: So I will have a new cert number.

Donato

Shouldn't need to be reholdered unless there's an obvious issue. I've gotten them to add coins that weren't in the database at all before, simply with pictures. But that was back when BJ Searls was around so...

The problem with that is this cert number with a zero in front of it (05018377) already exists in their database, but it's linked to another coin.

Donato

I've had that happen before too. Got BJ to fix that too. I'd push a bit more and see if somebody will play ball.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@divecchia said:

@FlyingAl said:
    Could you just keep it the way it is?

It doesn't seem like you have any desire to sell, so the Cert page doesn't even matter, given that we can see the coin is genuine. Even when it comes time to sell, the Cert page doesn't matter much because there's no images of the coin anyways, so it is down to the buyer to tell if the coin is genuine. At that point I think your average buyer would probably identify this as genuine within a few seconds.

@FlyingAl said:

It doesn't seem like you have any desire to sell, so the Cert page doesn't even matter, given that we can see the coin is genuine. Even when it comes time to sell, the Cert page doesn't matter much because there's no images of the coin anyways, so it is down to the buyer to tell if the coin is genuine. At that point I think your average buyer would probably identify this as genuine within a few seconds.

You are correct. I have no interest in selling the coin. It is only to add it to my inventory and more importantly into my registry sets. I don't really want to spend another few grand to get another $20 Saint in MS65 just to add it to my sets.

For now I passed on the reholder and I asked if I could get (for the lack of a better term) a "fake cert number" that would recognize my coin so that I could get it into my sets.

Donato

I've done that before just borrowed another cert with same grade for an NGC coin I wanted to put in a virtual PCGS album. There are 11,000 1928s in MS65 probably like 2% of them will ever be added to a registry and if so you can just remove from yours if ever requested.

Answers

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's just a reholder it maintains the same cert number so once it is returned to you you can just send back to CAC for a re-sticker. Easy.

• Options
    edited October 27, 2022 10:27AM

Sorry, my question needed to be more specific. If I get it reholdered it is because the cert is a 7 digit cert that is no longer active or working in the PCGS database. When I type it in a different coin comes up. I was told by a PCGS rep that the only way to get the coin into my inventory or in my registry sets is to get it reholdered. I do not really want to do it as it is an older holder.

Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@divecchia said:

Donato

PCGS has an error/issue with their database or catalog, and they are requiring you to pay for them to correct it? That is unfortunate if true.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@divecchia said:

Donato

PCGS has an error/issue with their database or catalog, and they are requiring you to pay for them to correct it? That is unfortunate if true.

No, they will send me a FedEx label and reholder it at their cost.

Donato

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@divecchia said:
    Donato

before you kill the older holder, there MAY be someone to trade/buy your example. fwiw

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@divecchia said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@divecchia said:

Donato

No, they will send me a FedEx label and reholder it at their cost.

Donato

Ah, that’s great. Thanks for correcting my assumption. Yes, I’d request the paper insert back and include that and photos of the coin in the old holder when you send to CAC. Unfortunately you will lose the old holder as you noted.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

@divecchia said:

Donato

I would double check with CAC before you send to PCGS but if you send in the explanation with those photos showing it is the same coin and same grade it should just be a re-sticker.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@divecchia said:
    Donato

before you kill the older holder, there MAY be someone to trade/buy your example. fwiw

I have no intentions of selling or trading the coin. I bought the coin, unfortunately I had to pay up because of the old holder and the CAC sticker.

Donato

• Options

And CAC should already know something is up.

• Options

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it.

Donato

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might consider waiting and seeing whether having the new CAC holder would make more sense.

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭✭

You’d think they should be able to recognize a CAC worthy coin without needing proof it was once stickered. Should be obvious.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I crossed a Trade dollar that was in NGC 64 CAC to PCGS 64. I think the returned NGC tag with a link to the auction appearance (as NGC) should suffice to regain the sticker without requiring a fresh consideration. It is a cherrypicker FS variety that I wanted on the tag and the NGC holder had a small crack. So it made sense to just cross it.

• Options

@divecchia said:

Donato

Shouldn't need to be reholdered unless there's an obvious issue. I've gotten them to add coins that weren't in the database at all before, simply with pictures. But that was back when BJ Searls was around so...

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@divecchia said:

Donato

The problem with that is this cert number with a zero in front of it (05018377) already exists in their database, but it's linked to another coin.

Donato

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SIowhand said:
    You’d think they should be able to recognize a CAC worthy coin without needing proof it was once stickered. Should be obvious.

The difference is if the Cert number is the same a re-sticker fee is $3 where as if the same coin has a new number it would almost certainly get another sticker, but this one will cost $16.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2022 7:54AM

CAC Resticker fee was bumped up slightly to $5 about a year or so ago.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just crack it out and place into a Coin World holder that is the same size as a pcgs slab.
    They you problems are solved.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@divecchia said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@divecchia said:

Donato

Donato

Can they void the other coin in their database and keep yours as the active one?

Nice that they're covering the fees but that's pretty annoying situation since there's a nice market for that green holder. Hopefully they throw in a trueview for you at least!

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know with my slight touch of OCD, I'd want it fixed NOW. When the time comes to sell, whether by me or my heirs, getting it fixed now will help.

Make sure to keep a good paper trail with current and new cert numbers, and include that in your submission to CAC!!!!

Let us know how you make out at the end.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@FlyingAl said:

@FlyingAl said:

You are correct. I have no interest in selling the coin. It is only to add it to my inventory and more importantly into my registry sets. I don't really want to spend another few grand to get another $20 Saint in MS65 just to add it to my sets.

For now I passed on the reholder and I asked if I could get (for the lack of a better term) a "fake cert number" that would recognize my coin so that I could get it into my sets.

Donato

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin! I hope you get it resolved soon. :)

• Options
    edited October 28, 2022 12:21PM

@PhilLynott said:

@divecchia said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@divecchia said:

Donato

Donato

Can they void the other coin in their database and keep yours as the active one?

Nice that they're covering the fees but that's pretty annoying situation since there's a nice market for that green holder. Hopefully they throw in a trueview for you at least!

That's what they did. I did have to show them the slab at Baltimore, to David Talk when he worked there, and he examined it, and then took a couple pics of it and they updated the database to show the information for my coin a couple days later.

It doesn't make sense to make somebody who actually cares about the holder/registry/etc reholder their coin when the unknown one floating around out there might not even be in a holder any more, if there is actually a duplicate serial number, and not just an error of some sort somewhere along the line causing the cert information to be messed up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file