Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1831-NG, M 8R Central American Republic , Cleaned, ANACS VF 35, Details; Approximate selling price.

Just got the coin back from ANACS. While I'm essentially on the baseball card side of the house, I'm aware ANACS is generally rated #3 behind PCGS & NGC for coin slabbing. Also, prices realized are somewhat less than the top 2. That being the case I'm looking to sell it either on eBay or at the upcoming coin show in Baltimore. However, there is very little information on its value from previous sales. NGC price guide shows $900 at that grade, but no idea when that sale occurred. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka might know better, but 1831 NG is a rather scarce coin and a bit expensive. Not sure with the details, but not an easy coin.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2022 8:42PM

The two most recent sales are a nice 55, which hammered at 1700, and an ugly group lot that hammered at $600 for the three coins. Best guess is that your coin is worth $450 to 600, depending on how it looks in hand. If you stop by my table in Baltimore, I'll try to narrow it down for you, or maybe even make an offer.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 364 ✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Best guess is that your coin is worth $450 to 600, depending on how it looks in hand.

Ah, the power of packaging:

Was sold alongside a Bolivia CarIII 8R and a Chihli dollar with similar surfaces. Looks like they were in/around some reactive leather, felt, kangaroo pouch or similar for a long time.

Despite the odd surface, a very good pick at that price for a decently detailed CAR 8R in this market, let alone the better date. NB - NEVER end your eBay auctions at noon on a summer Saturday!!

=====================

As a related aside... @MrEureka, did you happen to see this piece several years back? This popped up from a smaller German auctioneer back in 2018, I believe.

• Options

@MrEureka said:
    The two most recent sales are a nice 55, which hammered at 1700, and an ugly group lot that hammered at $600 for the three coins. Best guess is that your coin is worth $450 to 600, depending on how it looks in hand. If you stop by my table in Baltimore, I'll try to narrow it down for you, or maybe even make an offer.

What's your table number and will you be there for all 3 days? Thanx.

• Options

@nymutts said:

What's your table number and will you be there for all 3 days? Thanx.

I'll be at table 548. Only there Thursday and Friday this time. Hope to see you there.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    edited October 26, 2022 1:48AM

@realeswatcher said:

As a related aside... @MrEureka, did you happen to see this piece several years back? This popped up from a smaller German auctioneer back in 2018, I believe.

I don't remember if I saw it, but I do have several fake 8 reales like the one sold in Germany. Also an 1825 NG 2 Escudos that looks like it's from the same family.

Andy Lustig