Home Q & A Forum

Should I pull the trigger

This is a 1795 dime almost good condition missing four pieces of silver looks like it was clipped at one time. How Much??

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"missing four pieces of silver looks like it was clipped at one time."

Are you sure 4 pieces are missing or could it be the prongs that hold the coin in the NGC holder? ;)

• I think if you look closer it is missing pieces it does say damage I can't any other damage looking to purchase it I don't know if it's $300 is worth it I think it might go in the books for maybe $900

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I think if you look closer it is missing pieces"

Please highlite the missing areas on one of your photos.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "damage" may be the many scratches.

• WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry but those are definitely not clips, it's the holder prongs, its a nice coin but as others have said the damage is most likely the scratches.

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2022 12:27PM

It's NOT clipped or missing anything. Those are the prongs on the NGC slab that grip the coin. It looks to be scratched and maybe bent.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a great deal for $300!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • JWPJWP Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was my 1st thought also, looks like the holder prongs. What is the asking price? I would consider it, just the history of the coin is awesome.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree worth $300

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    "missing four pieces of silver looks like it was clipped at one time."

Are you sure 4 pieces are missing or could it be the prongs that hold the coin in the NGC holder? ;)

Perfect...........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"