Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Time to buy...

I noticed several nice high end cards slipping in price. Just like the stock market the time to buy is when the market is flat or down, not when it's hot.

1973 and 1975 Ryan's PSA 8 around $600
1973 OPC schmidt PSA 8 sold for $1100.

1969 mantle psa 7 $1,000.

These prices are really good for later on. Maybe next year at this time. There are tons more. If you trying to make a quick buck, not a good time. Just hold on for about a year.

I've been collecting since 1974, quit from 1991 - 2007 and then got back in. Lots of ups and downs, but when it goes up, it really goes up. Picked up a 1969 mantle psa 7 for $500 about 5 years ago, now it's slowed down at a $1,000, in 5 more years it will be at $2,000, maybe more.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just bought a 73 Ryan PSA 8, and you're right.

I've noticed some unopened dropping too. I've mostly stopped buying that though, but it's good to see. Maybe it might tempt me back in the water...

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Yes.
    This reminds me of the post-2016 market runup. '17 trended back down and then sideways for a couple years prior to the covid-era. Market "consolidation" finding a solid baseline.

The stock market is terrible. I suspect favorability towards alternative-investing; plus it's much more fun owning those cardboard pieces.

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

All asset bubbles are bursting. That is just the Zeitgeist. It may be a few years or even a decade until regular people have extra cash. Collect only the rarest and finest examples. They will always be of value, in my opinion.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    I noticed several nice high end cards slipping in price. Just like the stock market the time to buy is when the market is flat or down, not when it's hot.

1973 and 1975 Ryan's PSA 8 around $600
    1973 OPC schmidt PSA 8 sold for $1100.

1969 mantle psa 7 $1,000.

These prices are really good for later on. Maybe next year at this time. There are tons more. If you trying to make a quick buck, not a good time. Just hold on for about a year.

I've been collecting since 1974, quit from 1991 - 2007 and then got back in. Lots of ups and downs, but when it goes up, it really goes up. Picked up a 1969 mantle psa 7 for $500 about 5 years ago, now it's slowed down at a $1,000, in 5 more years it will be at $2,000, maybe more.

Transaction costs are (always) too high to expect to make a quick buck on cards. Buy what you like, but be prepared to hold.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

as we enter winter and many will be paying the highest prices ever to heat their homes as well as electricity prices bounding through the roof, there will be MUCH less disposable income for many. Perhaps most. Gas prices are expected to rise as well as refineries make the seasonal switchover to producing heating oil.

I think we are entering a great buyers market in the next 6 months.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

don't know about the ryan cards but the schmidt was a steal and slipped. There are way too many auctions and auction houses due to the run up to keep track of. Take away the marginal buyer and things start to slip through. It is feeling like there are opportunities to wheel and deal again unlike the last few years run up when all you had to do is buy something and sell it 30% higher the next day. If you have some real knowledge, you can do well.

and a lot of things have had a decent percent of the wind pulled from there sails which is nice

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2022 7:20AM

High end vintage (PSA-8.5 or higher) pre-1980 seems to be holding up very well. A 1963 Koufax PSA-9 in a Heritage auction sold for $36,600 recently…I paid $3,300 back in 2005 for the same card in a PSA-9. Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Koufax, Clemente, Ryan, Jackie Robinson, Rose, Banks etc are doing very well in today’s market.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    High end vintage (PSA-8.5 or higher) pre-1980 seems to be holding up very well. A 1963 Koufax PSA-9 in a Heritage auction sold for $36,600 recently…I paid $3,300 back in 2005 for the same card in a PSA-9. Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Koufax, Clemente, Ryan, Jackie Robinson, Rose, Banks etc are doing very well in today’s market.

I agree with this statement. I noticed that no 1975 Carter's or Rice's PSA 9 are listed. Used to be a couple at any given moment. The stars you mentioned are slowing down some and a couple have went backwards a bit. But these guys are the blue chips and the ones that will maintain. Still will need to hold for awhile to get a profit. PSA 9 Ryan's 1977 and back don't last long either.

Seems like most 8's are staying put or down slightly.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2022 10:39AM

The borderline HOFs might not hold up as well…but the popular HOFs making it on the first ballot like the players mentioned in my first post will remain strong. I also should have included Frank Robinson RC and Brooks Robinson RC as well as these players Gibson RC, Yaz RC, McCovey RC, Seaver RC, Carew RC, Bench RC, Reggie RC, Schmidt RC, Brett RC. Also…any cards of players from the first post (Mantle, Mays, Aaron, etc. ) will also remain strong/hold up from the vintage era (pre-1980) in high end condition…PSA- 8.5 or higher.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    johfrjohfr Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Might also be a good time to buy Jeter SP rookies. These have slipped quite a bit but should have great future potential.

• Options

I only buy vintage up to about 1982 (sometimes 83) and I've seen prices slipping across the board for graded and unopened too.

Another sign is that if I mark a card on Ebay I almost always have the seller offering me a discount on the card. That wasn't happening a year or so ago.

There are too many auction houses, and I think the correction might clear some of those too. I actually don't mind there being so many because there are deals to be had, but it doesn't seem sustainable.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

What about Vintage Football?

PackManInNC
  • Options

@mexpo75 said:
    What about Vintage Football?

That seems to be coming down too. I've started dipping my toe back in that.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

We all have our buy/collect cards and this is a good time to buy. The 1985 OPC Mario Lemieux is one of them and discussed earlier. I am mostly baseball and I like Ichiro and Pujols (not now given the 700 chase).

• Options

@GoDodgersFan said:

We all have our buy/collect cards and this is a good time to buy. The 1985 OPC Mario Lemieux is one of them and discussed earlier. I am mostly baseball and I like Ichiro and Pujols (not now given the 700 chase

pujols is a stud.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2022 10:09PM

Regardless, aren’t 99 percent of cards on ebay bin and 98.5 percent of those overpriced? Tough to find a good deal.

• Options

@ElvisP said:
    Regardless, aren’t 99 percent of cards on ebay bin and 98.5 percent of those overpriced? Tough to find a good deal.

I take offense to these comments. I have about 80 overpriced buy it now's currently listed on ebay. LOL!!!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@ElvisP said:

hey 51Wheaties,

That's Cool... :)

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Here's the Pujols I bought in June for $4,050. One just sold for $5,999 a few weeks ago. I do regret not going after the PSA 10.

• Options

I am concerned with the young collectors these days.... they seem to like the flash of modern cards. Will this affect vintage values in the next decade or two? You often chase the cards of your youth... maybe this generation will value a different era of cards?

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crashingwaves said:
    I am concerned with the young collectors these days.... they seem to like the flash of modern cards. Will this affect vintage values in the next decade or two? You often chase the cards of your youth... maybe this generation will value a different era of cards?

I think they are so far behind on vintage modern is the only option for them, and today they don’t collect modern they flip it. My son made a good point when he said - they are basically like buying lottery tickets. You buy a box or pack hoping to pull a card that can bring $500-1000 and sometimes possibly $5k, $10k, up to $100k plus. With Fanatics taking over in a couple years there’s a whole lot of uncertainty in the modern market. If they take out the current distribution model which would eliminate breakers and flippers there are fewer dealersin the hobby which means fewer dollars.

• Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

90’s hof inserts are drying up and very thin pops in high end…they will be the regular issue 9’s and 10’s from the 60’s and 70’s we see for 5 figures now…

• Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

90’s numbered /250 or less inserts in psa/sgc/bgs 10 will be un-findable in 10 years

• Options

@Willymac said:
    90’s numbered /250 or less inserts in psa/sgc/bgs 10 will be un-findable in 10 years

got a box of 500 atomic's. just picked up a 1996 emmitt atomic a few minutes ago. so i agree with you.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prices have dropped 10-20% in the hockey card market the past two months.

It is across the board.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy rookies are ice cold now on eBay.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

It is across the board.

Now is a great time to buy OPC Lemieux in a PSA 8 as they are trending below 1k.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim Brown Rookies in PSA 7 have been falling. They go for about 7K and had been as high as 15K.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm always broke when it's time to buy! 😩

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@Mikeygiggs_336699 said:

@Goldenage said:

It is across the board.

Now is a great time to buy OPC Lemieux in a PSA 8 as they are trending below 1k.

Paid $850 last month. Looking for more too.

A PSA 9 sold for 2500 last night.
    3k is the norm. Nice card too.

• Options

@Cakes said:
    Jim Brown Rookies in PSA 7 have been falling. They go for about 7K and had been as high as 15K.

Gretzky opc psa 7 no bid at $5700.

That was incredible.

• Options

This sold for $440 on 12/2020

I just paid $150 for this one.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can get 1981-82 Topps BKB sets all regions for under $200 now.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    You can get 1981-82 Topps BKB sets all regions for under $200 now.

Sweet.

• Options

The hobby kings will always be relevant really no matter the market. Ruth, Wagner, Mantle, Mays, Clemente, Aaron etc. There will be dips and rebounds in prices but they should in the end be good values, at least for the next 30-40 years. Then you will have maybe a player or two each decade from the 80's on that their cards will command decent money. I dont think they will ever reach the overall prices that current 60's and earlier cards command for HOF'ers and stars but should be some decent value.

BST References] oilstates2003, GoldCoin98, COINS MAKE CENTS, SurfinxHI, mbogoman, detroitfan2,
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2022 6:00PM

1955 clemente

• Options

That is good info Cakes, thanks for sharing.

@Cakes said:
    Sports Collectors Daily also recently reported that vintage cards are holding strong value, while modern cards are on the decline.

According to the Sports Collectors Daily report, Card Ladder, which tracks sales across different sports and eras, shows that modern cards (1984-2008) are down 20.8 percent compared to the same time last year, with ultra-modern cards (2008 and later) down 4.37 percent.

Vintage cards (1946-1983), meanwhile, are up 13.64 percent, while pre-War vintage (1945 and earlier) are up 14.65 percent.

The biggest vintage sellers? According to Card Ladder, Mickey Mantle cards are up 21.5 percent from September 2021, while Nolan Ryan cards are up 51.46 percent. Mantle cards are up, in large part, due to the record $12.6 million sale of a 1952 Topps Mantle in late August.

The biggest fallers among modern cards are: Mike Trout (down 40.87 percent); Kobe Bryant (down 36.26); and Tom Brady (down 22.2). Trout cards have declined since setting the sports card record at $3.9 million in late 2020.

The biggest risers among modern and ultra-modern cards are: Aaron Judge (up 110 percent, and climbing); Josh Allen (up 142 percent); and Shohei Ohtani (up 38.37).

The decline in modern cards and the rise in vintage is not a surprise to industry experts.

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:
    Sports Collectors Daily also recently reported that vintage cards are holding strong value, while modern cards are on the decline.

According to the Sports Collectors Daily report, Card Ladder, which tracks sales across different sports and eras, shows that modern cards (1984-2008) are down 20.8 percent compared to the same time last year, with ultra-modern cards (2008 and later) down 4.37 percent.

Vintage cards (1946-1983), meanwhile, are up 13.64 percent, while pre-War vintage (1945 and earlier) are up 14.65 percent.

The biggest vintage sellers? According to Card Ladder, Mickey Mantle cards are up 21.5 percent from September 2021, while Nolan Ryan cards are up 51.46 percent. Mantle cards are up, in large part, due to the record $12.6 million sale of a 1952 Topps Mantle in late August.

The biggest fallers among modern cards are: Mike Trout (down 40.87 percent); Kobe Bryant (down 36.26); and Tom Brady (down 22.2). Trout cards have declined since setting the sports card record at $3.9 million in late 2020.

The biggest risers among modern and ultra-modern cards are: Aaron Judge (up 110 percent, and climbing); Josh Allen (up 142 percent); and Shohei Ohtani (up 38.37).

The decline in modern cards and the rise in vintage is not a surprise to industry experts.

Good. I'll continue to stock up on 93 Finest basketball refractors, 94 & 95 Finest baseball refractors, along with 90s Chrome HOFer refractors in high grade. I'm gonna put those away for 20 years and see what happens.

• Options

@PNWcollector said:

@Cakes said:

Good. I'll continue to stock up on 93 Finest basketball refractors, 94 & 95 Finest baseball refractors, along with 90s Chrome HOFer refractors in high grade. I'm gonna put those away for 20 years and see what happens.

Hey don't buy those I am buying them. LOL!!

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

@PNWcollector said:

@Cakes said:

Nice, what have you been buying, specifically?

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PNWcollector said:

@olb31 said:

@PNWcollector said:

@Cakes said:

Nice, what have you been buying, specifically?

And how much are you paying?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

1993 - 1997 atomic and finest refractors. baseball, basketball and football. in the last week I picked up 1993 barkley, Karl malone, 1994 mattingly, 1996 atomic - emmitt, 2 elway's, curtis martin, terrell davis, toomer rookie, laettner, juwan howard. I have built up quite a few over the years.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they keep falling. more for me!!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.