Home Stamps Forum

Where is everyone on stamp forum

rodeo514rodeo514 Posts: 215 ✭✭✭
edited September 23, 2022 2:11PM in Stamps Forum

I know this is for coins but what forum are people using for Stamps?

Comments

• rodeo514rodeo514 Posts: 215 ✭✭✭

No participation there :(

• habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2022 9:08AM

deleted

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭

No one is interested in stamps,
    Back in the 40's and 50's I
    had a decent stamp collection but discontinued it when I got out of the service and sold all the stamps I had,
    I have now sold almost all of my coins too as I reach my mid 80's as I see interest in them waining too.
    The internet has made all this happen over the past 10 years.
    The world has passed us by in both of these collecting things to do.

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps in some ways, stamps aren't the popular pursuit they once were, but I enjoy them. If selling any stamp of decent value, you do need to advertise it correctly for what it is, or someone may well get it for a song. Coins, I feel are a different animal, and always will be if for no other reason than most (not all) people are somewhat cognizant of the value of precious metal content. If you're into that sort of thing. :wink:

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

The popularity of stamp collecting has declined steadily for many decades. It was very, very popular in the first half of the 20th century but started downhill, very slowly at first, around 1960. The decline really seems to have accelerated around 1991 when many countries started to really ramp up the number of new issues including souvenir sheets and booklets. Another blow came when self-stick stamps arrived. These made buying just one mint stamp for your album difficult. The internet has also caused a decline in interest as young people seldom use stamps and seem to have no interest in collecting them.

I wonder just how many of the current issue stamps are actually being saved? It would not surprise me to find that the numbers currently saved are quite small. If interest in the hobby ever revives some of the current issues may actually prove to be scarce!

All glory is fleeting.
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭✭

I dabble in stamps...mostly special sets, like the Peanuts Set due out Sept 30th., but do not specifically collect them anymore. Was big into them back in the early-mid 1980s.

imageimage

• Moved discussion to the Stamp forum.

@ernie11 said:
    As a stamp collector, my own take on this is that stamp collectors don't particularly visit >> this website's << forum. But I know of 2 other stamp forums I visit that have a regular stream of posts, and I follow them every day.

Thank you .. would you mind sharing those sites that you visit
    Karen

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2022 4:40PM

Thank you .. would you mind sharing those sites that you visit
    Karen

https://stampcommunity.org/

forums.delphiforums.com/stamps/messages/?start=Start+Reading+%3E%3E&gid=2127649926

I think both of these stamp forum websites require setting up a userid / password.

Ok thank you .maybe I can find a home for William Tells son .He's 104 years old now !

• GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2023 12:26AM

@tommyrusty7 said:
    No one is interested in stamps, Back in the 40's and 50's I > had a decent stamp collection but discontinued it when I got out of the service and sold all the stamps I had, > I have now sold almost all of my coins too as I reach my mid 80's as I see interest in them waining too. > The internet has made all this happen over the past 10 years. > The world has passed us by in both of these collecting things to do.

I can't speak totally for stamps, but given the increased online activity for coins at HA, GC, and Ebay...attendance by dealers and the public at regional and national Coin Shows....and the use of the Apps on smartphones....I'd say the coin community coin is doing nicely in the Internet Age.

If there is NO INTEREST in a product among the American people or young Americans, you're in trouble regardless of technology. Hopefully, stamps can make a comeback.

Most Americans don't even use stamps anymore.
    Look at your mail and you see most postage is by metered mail and as for coins most people use credit cars now.
    Computers have taken over the world now and kids today never put them down long enough to look at stamps or coins.
    How long is it going to be before cash is done away with and a chip is put into your body for scanning purposes.

edited February 5, 2023 2:55PM

Are dealers paying a premium over face value for any "Forever" stamps issued since April, 12, 2007?

All glory is fleeting.
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I always see Stamp dealers at the great Long Beach Show for collectibles.

I have a stamp collection, but I am not really actively buying stamps, except on occasion. It should be a buyer's paradise, but I still see common 1980s and 1990s stamps sell for above face value at certain dealer tables. That may be reasonable under a different set of circumstances, but not when so many common stamps are being sold for below face value if one just practices enough patience.

The fact that stamps are rarely used in our daily lives does not do any favors in making people (especially younger ones) aware of them in the first place.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

When I was a kid I would have the post office save me blocks of 8 when they came out and that was in the 1940s and it was exciting. I continued that until I went into the Marines but could not get interested in it afterward so sold them all around 1960 and have had no interest in them now.

@DeutscherGeist said:
    I always see Stamp dealers at the great Long Beach Show for collectibles.

I have a stamp collection, but I am not really actively buying stamps, except on occasion. It should be a buyer's paradise, but I still see common 1980s and 1990s stamps sell for above face value at certain dealer tables. That may be reasonable under a different set of circumstances, but not when so many common stamps are being sold for below face value if one just practices enough patience.

The fact that stamps are rarely used in our daily lives does not do any favors in making people (especially younger ones) aware of them in the first place.

I totally agree

• GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Are dealers paying a premium over face value for any "Forever" stamps issued since April, 12, 2007?

Yes, quite a few. One of the hotter segments of the stamp hobby now.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gansetttime said:

@291fifth said:

All Forever stamps have a face value of 63c today. Why would anyone pay over face value for any of them unless they were a collector?

• GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@Gansetttime said:

@291fifth said:

All Forever stamps have a face value of 63c today. Why would anyone pay over face value for any of them unless they were a collector?

Dealers did not build inventory on many of the new releases, as lack of demand and price increases dictated. The tables have turned, collectors are now looking for those stamps they missed, wedding planners have entered the market for love and floral issues, and companies have been buying stamps to use on their mailings to boost attention. Even Christmas stamps seem to have a revival.
    Many new releases are selling out at the USPS (Charles Schultz pane for example). Add in the continued rising face value of forever stamps too.
    All of the above is interesting, helping the market thrive right now.

@Gansetttime said:

@pruebas said:

@Gansetttime said:

@291fifth said:

Dealers did not build inventory on many of the new releases, as lack of demand and price increases dictated. The tables have turned, collectors are now looking for those stamps they missed, wedding planners have entered the market for love and floral issues, and companies have been buying stamps to use on their mailings to boost attention. Even Christmas stamps seem to have a revival.
    Many new releases are selling out at the USPS (Charles Schultz pane for example). Add in the continued rising face value of forever stamps too.
    All of the above is interesting, helping the market thrive right now.

My local post office seems to sell out of many commemorative issues very quickly. Have production numbers been cut way back?

All glory is fleeting.
  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good time to collect stamps especially Canadian stamps no one seems to care much about that hobby here anymore in Canada. Don't expect that to change but at least you can enjoy a hobby with next to no competition.

I remember 20-30 years ago stamps shops all over the place in my city. I use to collect them but got bored.

How is the US stamps market is it just as ''dead''?

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

• bigmountainlionbigmountainlion Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

High end stamps still have strong demand, common stuff are selling for below face value.