Home Q & A Forum
Options

Price Guide

PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Today I'm cataloging my silver quarters and came across a 35-S. I thought it might be rare so I looked up the value and noticed PO1 is worth more than a G6. Why is that? Is it just an anomally of the price guide because there are none? There's also no picture of a PO1 in photograde. In short, ignore the "1" column?

USAF veteran 1984-2005

Comments

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lowball collectors are the reason why. If you look up other coins you will likely see similarities in the price guide.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgandollar1878 said:
    Lowball collectors are the reason why. If you look up other coins you will likely see similarities in the price guide.

Agreed. These Poor 1 grades have a higher demand than G6.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Thanks. Learned something. I thought lowball meant G or VG; not barely recognizable. Certainly not my cup of tea.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a graded lemon coin. However, I'd buy one if I came across one for sale.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

Funny that PO1 is the topic. I was in GC earlier and noticed a large cent that first looked PO1 and then after seeing the reverse thought F2 yet it was graded G04. PO1 is actually hard to come by. I know someone who had tried for PO1 once with a coin that absolutely looked it but ended up getting F2 to their dismay. Anyway, as stated you will see that pattern where many PO1 values are higher than the F2 and sometimes grades higher than that.
    Anyone recall the Peace dollar on Great Collections back in May or June that sold for $8k -$9k? That was a PO1 in some early PCGS holder.

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    CoffeeTimeCoffeeTime Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

It’s fascinating that the bottom grade has more collecting value due to the lowball collectors.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

As mentioned, straight graded PO1's without damage are apparently not easy to find. That's why the inflated price.

I'm thinking, just enough meat on the bone to determine the date. These are PCGS examples:

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )