Home Precious Metals

Engelhard 100 oz bar Anyone know anything about a serial number like this with a DH at the end?

AgpilotAgpilot Posts: 6
edited August 4, 2022 8:31AM in Precious Metals

Answers

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

My gut says it's post production. The DH is off on a different angle, slightly higher than the serial number. Maybe someone dropped their initials on it to identify it further.
    Other than that it appears to be a machined 8th series, by far the most common of the Engelhard 100 oz bars with a mintage of 300,000.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Agpilot

Welcome to the Forums.

You'll find a lot of knowledgeable people here, but make sure you read the rules !

You made a thread on this same topic which I responded to Only for you to create a second Thread about the same topic afterwards... A single thread is fine

It's all about what the people want...

• I saw the question thread after I posted it here. It was really a question and not a discussion. I’m not trying to break your holy rules.
    Don’t get your panties in a wad over nothing.
    Thanks for your first response though.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2022 8:18PM

@Agpilot said:
    I saw the question thread after I posted it here. It was really a question and not a discussion. I’m not trying to break your holy rules.

It's interesting enough to see it stamped.
    Over the many years I've found people do so interesting stuff to bars and sometimes you just have to wonder what the heck.

Wow, I really can't add much of anything and with that attitude Wow...
    Weiss is a seasoned member and there is a bunch of knowledge that you could learn here.

What I would suggest you do is contact AllEngelhard.com
    They may give you some suggestions they have probably seen just about everything, you may have something unique.

Welcome to the fourm
    May I ask you where you aquired this bar?
    There are a few collectors that have those initials, BUT I can't see any one of them altering a bar.

Dom for one had a sizeable stack.
    He passed away a number of years ago.
    Maybe one of his aires turned some of what he had back into the wild.

See I told you I couldn't offer up much.
    It's a lead though, just like Columbo...one more question.

That could very well be a bar that Dick Harrison hoarded.
    You knew him better as Richard

• @rte592 said:

@Agpilot said:
    I saw the question thread after I posted it here. It was really a question and not a discussion. I’m not trying to break your holy rules.

Over the many years I've found people do so interesting stuff to bars and sometimes you just have to wonder what the heck.

Weiss is a seasoned member and there is a bunch of knowledge that you could learn here.

They may give you some suggestions they have probably seen just about everything, you may have something unique.

Welcome to the fourm
    May I ask you where you aquired this bar?
    There are a few collectors that have those initials, BUT I can't see any one of them altering a bar.

Dom for one had a sizeable stack.
    He passed away a number of years ago.
    Maybe one of his aires turned some of what he had back into the wild.

See I told you I couldn't offer up much.
    It's a lead though, just like Columbo...one more question.

That could very well be a bar that Dick Harrison hoarded.
    You knew him better as Richard

A deceased relative bought those plus a couple from Sunshine mine in the early to mid eighty's. They have been locked up in a safe all these years. Now that his son has passed, his daughter-in-law offered to sell them to me, so I bought them.
    It would be cool if they were part of Harrison's stash, but I don't think the time-line fits.
    Thank you for your response. Very interesting.

• @Agpilot said:

@rte592 said:

@Agpilot said:

Email sent to AllEngelhard.com
    Thanks again.

• @Agpilot said:

@Agpilot said:

@rte592 said:

@Agpilot said:

Email sent to AllEngelhard.com
    Thanks again.

Reply from AllEngelhard.................
    "Very nice bar and nice round serial number too! We are not aware of any significance to the DH as it appears to have been added post production, probably a collector's initials. AE"

rte592 ....... Just as you said above. Probably a collectors initials.
    Thanks for you help.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago, people would saw through silver bars because they wanted to make sure they weren't hollowed out and filled with tungsten or lead. It's a shame someone ruined a highly collectable silver bar that's now only worth melt value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have on several occasions chopped large 100-oz bars into smaller pieces so that I could melt them.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2022 12:19PM

@dcarr said:
    I have on several occasions chopped large 100-oz bars into smaller pieces so that I could melt them.

I can see that as an end user of sorts.
    if I recall your into history...
    I'd like to think those probably weren't old or vintage in resellable condition.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2022 2:05PM

@rte592 said:

@dcarr said:

I can see that as an end user of sorts.
    if I recall your into history...
    I'd like to think those probably weren't old or vintage in resellable condition.

If they were better ones, I would spare them. One time I went into a coin shop to buy some silver to use and they told me the only thing they had was a 100-oz bar. I agreed on the price and when they pulled it out it was an Engelhard "Gold Standard" 1st series extruded bar (allengelhard.com indicates that less than 50 of that type were made in the 100-oz size). So I didn't chop that one up ;)

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:
    Stick around lots of good info in this board.

Funny story about what some people do to bars.
    Years ago I was at my local gold and silver store, in the dollar over box were two chunks of a Johnson Matthey old pour silver bar.

Looked like someone cut a 10 ounce bar in half and removed the serial number portion. (Top half and bottom half)
    It just screamed stolen bar...
    I almost bought it just because you could still see the Johnson Matthey stamps and recognize it was a Johnson Matthey old pour bar.
    I passed it over...three weeks later looking through the $1 over spot box I found another chunk of a bar.
    (This chunk was stamped 20 OZ)
    I asked if they still had the other two pieces from weeks ago??
    The owner said yes they put them in back headed for the scrap bucket.
    He dug them out and we put them together...turned out someone cut a 20 ounce Johnson Matthey old pour Silver bar in three pieces.
    It was a low mintage old pour bar without the stamped serial number.
    A premium bar IF complete we'll worth 2x spot.
    I was now intrigued, why would someone do this?
    I told the owner to weigh it up and I'll give him a dollar over spot.
    He said NO WAY, not for sale yet it's going into the case as a conversion piece.

I stated that if I didn't find the missing chunk you were willing to sell it for scrap, but now it's a hot commodity?
    He said YEP, you should have bought it the first time you saw it...let that be a lesson (we all had a good laugh)
    I saw it in the case for another three weeks
    or so priced at a premium, but I wasn't that guy...someone paid a premium to have it. as it disappeared.

Hot dang I found the picture...
    Thought it was lost for good when I switched phones.
    Feast your eyes on this and ask yourself why would someone do that?

Looks like mine, (not cut up) 🤓