Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Can Anyone Identify These Cards?

Going thru some stacks of cards and came across these. I have tried to find them in some of my old Beckett books and cannot find the set that they belong to. Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, since the Torre cards says 'currently' the manager of the Mets, they would have to be from the 1977-81 era. Interesting use of the word 'The' before Braves and Yankees!
    The link below shows a Crandall autographed card as '1980's' but doesn't really give any info:
    https://steinersports.com/1980s_braves_del_crandall_signed_card_auto_autographed_milwaukee_1959_style/t-47222025+o-1287+d-122728570+f-35272664+z-9-4186692499?utm_medium=cse&_s=BPA-ak19kv30-steinersports-bing&sku=38532071

Daniel
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems odd that for a post-career re-pro set like this, they would opt to feature a photo of Cepeda playing for SF but put him in with "The Braves"

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure they are in one of the Almanac books. If I recall, iot was 1979 issue date and was related to a card convention or large collector shows in Atlanta that year.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

Off by a year...memory getting soft.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're listed in the 2005 Standard Catalog, as "1978 Atlanta Nobis Center".

There are 24 cards listed in the set. It says the set was issued in conjunction with a May 1978 card show to benefit the training/rehab center supported by former Atlanta Falcon linebacker Tommy Nobis.

Steve

• Options
    jalovrajalovra Posts: 75 ✭✭

Thank all for the identity and history. Unfortunately I only have the three and not the set!

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

It’s a shame they missed getting Dale Murphy into this ‘79 Braves set.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

@mcadams said:
    It’s a shame they missed getting Dale Murphy into this ‘79 Braves set.

There were actually no active players in the set at all. If anyone was in it, I'd think it would've been Phil Niekro, as Murphy had only played 37 games with the Braves in 1976-77 combined. The set came out in May 1978, so it was printed right at the beginning of, or just before, the 1978 season.

Also, keep in mind that before 1981, Topps had a monopoly on active players; except for the 1976 SSPC set, no one had issued cards of active players, and Topps had sued SSPC because they had violated Topps' exclusive rights. So that was undoubtedly a factor in this 1978 Atlanta set not including any active players.

Steve

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

I thought the SSPC set was 1975...

• Options

@azvike said:
    I thought the SSPC set was 1975...

The cards have a 1975 copyright date on the backs, but they weren't released until 1976.

Steve