Home U.S. Coin Forum

EBay feedeback meaning of "private listing"

Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭✭

When bidding on Ebay I frequently check the feedback of the seller, particularly if there are negative or even neutral grades given by buyers. Recently in doing so I saw all of the first full page of buyers leaving feedback did not have a link to the item he/she bought but rather was listed as "private listing". and was not able to see the item purchased. The buyers comments were shown. Does anyone know the significance of "private listings" in feedback? In this particular case the seller had no negative or neutral ratings for the year, only positive.

Thanks, Bill

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Glen2022 said:
    When bidding on Ebay I frequently check the feedback of the seller, particularly if there are negative or even neutral grades given by buyers. Recently in doing so I saw all of the first full page of buyers leaving feedback did not have a link to the item he/she bought but rather was listed as "private listing". and was not able to see the item purchased. The buyers comments were shown. Does anyone know the significance of "private listings" in feedback? In this particular case the seller had no negative or neutral ratings for the year, only positive.

Thanks, Bill

You can set it to private for any number of reasons. You could be selling adult material, for example. Or your simply paranoid about people knowing your business.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your business is selling coins then buyers have a right to know your business.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the "private listing" concept was devised to hide the bidders on the front end, and the feedback page differences are just an extension of that.

In the bad old days on ebay you could see the bidders' actual user names and could contact them directly. Even with the current practice of concealing bidders' actual user names you can sometimes recognize patterns or trends. With private listings you can't do that.

This is not to be confused with private feedback, which is a seller concealing their feedback altogether.

edited July 14, 2022 5:33AM

@derryb said:
    If your business is selling coins then buyers have a right to know your business.

Some people sell multiple things.

Ask your local coin shop for a list of all of their prior sales and see if you are invited back in.

They call them "private treaty" sales for a reason... emphasis on private.

If you could pay a list of all of your coin holdings, that would also be greatly appreciated.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

It means that they don't want others to see that they ripped someone off.

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    It means that they don't want others to see that they ripped someone off.

:)

That has been my experience. No feedback with real buyers, not my money!

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

If you could pay a list of all of your coin holdings, that would also be greatly appreciated.

no problem:

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

no problem:

>

Lol. You're a good egg.

People are paranoid about it, however, for non-nefarious reasons.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

no problem:

Now I'll just need your address. :D

@JBK said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

no problem:

Now I'll just need your address. :D

Lol.

Which is why some people are secretive...

• MS66MS66 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Wasn't it once true that you could create listings without making them public? Then just sharing the link with a few select buyers? That's what I thought "private listing" meant, or used to. I'd really like that capability.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I regard such listings as extremely suspicious and do not bid on them at all. I tried years ago and saw some strange activity, sales, and re-listed items. Unless the listings are for very expensive items, I immediately believe there is suspicious activity when seeing “private”

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a lot of the sellers who do private listings do it to hide shill bidding.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file