Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Reviewed this 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan RC PSA-9...

2»

Comments

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made this statement in the comment section of the submission form:

The centering is perfect 50/50 side-to-side and 51/49 top-to-bottom measured with a 1/100 inch scale metal ruler inherited from my Dad who made pistons for the Ford Motor Co....so the measurements had to be precise. Color is eye popping and inks line up so that even the word "Chicago" on his uniform is clearly visible, not fuzzy. Edges are chip-free with a clean cut and corners are razor sharp under magnification.The back of the card is problem-free. So...I have decided to submit for review for a possible PSA-10. It compares very favorably to recent PSA-10s sold on your price page. This is an exceptional PSA-9 at least...but worthy of review for a PSA-10. I know that you have a backlog and do NOT want to slow down your grading process or waste your time with a weak PSA-9.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭✭

@Willymac said:
    Ummmmm why do both psa 10 pics above have the same cert # on different cards?

Same Cert# SAME CARD....

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 473 ✭✭✭

Maybe they'll give the guy who submitted it originally his grading fee back?

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Smart, like the way you played that.

@mintonlypls said:
    I made this statement in the comment section of the submission form:

The centering is perfect 50/50 side-to-side and 51/49 top-to-bottom measured with a 1/100 inch scale metal ruler inherited from my Dad who made pistons for the Ford Motor Co....so the measurements had to be precise. Color is eye popping and inks line up so that even the word "Chicago" on his uniform is clearly visible, not fuzzy. Edges are chip-free with a clean cut and corners are razor sharp under magnification.The back of the card is problem-free. So...I have decided to submit for review for a possible PSA-10. It compares very favorably to recent PSA-10s sold on your price page. This is an exceptional PSA-9 at least...but worthy of review for a PSA-10. I know that you have a backlog and do NOT want to slow down your grading process or waste your time with a weak PSA-9.

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 473 ✭✭✭

None of that stuff changed in the case. Unless you're saying they gave it a 9 for no reason it should still be a 9.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

The review option wouldn't even be an option if we are to accept the initial grade determination as the final one.

As long as human beings are grading cards, there is always going to be some degree of subjectivity with regard to grading.

As someone who has bumped his fair share of lower pop PSA 9 1975 minis to PSA 10, I understood the parameters for the process and made every effort to succeed within them.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Folks??? Did this get this get reholdered??

This is the same cert in clearly 2 different images…sorry if I am missing something….

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 336 ✭✭✭

@Willymac said:
    Folks??? Did this get this get reholdered??

This is the same cert in clearly 2 different images…sorry if I am missing something….

PSA keeps the same cert on any cards that get bumped. There is nothing fishy going on here.

• Options
    farmboy27farmboy27 Posts: 25 ✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2022 10:24PM

Been following this thread and find this review topic of such a recently graded iconic card quite fascinating on both sides. However, I think there has been some confusion with the pics. . .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the cert. # of the OP's card that got bumped starts with "63" (meaning it was just graded within the past few months) and the other Jordan 10 that starts with "43" is a completely different example that was used as a comparison but has gotten confused as the OP's card.

Also, I believe the reason for the two different scans of the "43" Jordan 10 is the first scan may have been taken from an auction site while the clearer scan was taken directly from PSA's cert. verification page after PSA scanned the card into their system after the card was graded.

Either way, congrats on the bump and hopefully the original submitter of this card never sees this thread. . .

Kory

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@farmboy27 said:
    Been following this thread and find this review topic of such a recently graded iconic card quite fascinating on both sides. However, I think there has been some confusion with the pics. . .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the cert. # of the OP's card that got bumped starts with "63" (meaning it was just graded within the past few months) and the other Jordan 10 that starts with "43" is a completely different example that was used as a comparison but has gotten confused as the OP's card.

Also, I believe the reason for the two different scans of the "43" Jordan 10 is the first scan may have been taken from an auction site while the clearer scan was taken directly from PSA's cert. verification page after PSA scanned the card into their system after the card was graded.

Either way, congrats on the bump and hopefully the original submitter of this card never sees this thread. . .

Kory

Yes, the OP's card begins with the 63 card.

An interesting side note: if a card you submitted to PSA gets bumped on a future review by another submitter, your submission page will reflect the bumped grade so if anyone wants to see if a card they subbed in the past got bumped by someone else, just take a look at your submission history and check for any grades that are higher than they were when you first submitted the card(s).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

“Also, I believe the reason for the two different scans of the "43" Jordan 10 is the first scan may have been taken from an auction site while the clearer scan was taken directly from PSA's cert. verification page after PSA scanned the card into their system after the card was graded.“

Those are different fonts and the spacing from the bottom of the serial # to the edge of the box is different

Either that card has been reholdered or something is amiss with that serial #

Agree the thread was about the “63” but I couldn’t help but notice that

• Options
    farmboy27farmboy27 Posts: 25 ✭✭✭

Willymac,

Good catch on the spacing difference on the "43" flip -- apologies for missing that and thanks for pointing that out (I think the font is OK, though). Like you mentioned, that example was probably (hopefully) reholdered or someone was playing around with Photoshop. . .

Otherwise, I believe an earlier poster referred to PSA's scan of that "43" example as "hot off the presses" thinking it was the OP's newly bumped 10 when in actuality that example was graded awhile ago and, as a result, may have caused some confusion between the two cards (apologies if I'm misinterpreting that earlier post).

Also, never thought about checking your past submission pages to see if any of your grades changed but it totally makes sense if those cards have changed hands. Kind of makes me want to check out a couple of cards I submitted and sold awhile back but probably better to let sleeping dogs lie. . .

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2022 8:14AM

If the Original Submitter ever reads this thread, maybe they get a mercy 8.5 bump to 9 for their other graded Jordan RC from that same submission...

• Options
    edited July 11, 2022 8:24AM

Secretstash...

How did you discover that one? Centering is off a little top-to-bottom and not 51/49 as the xxxxxx72...but otherwise is very, very nice.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

I think the 435xxxxx might have been
    re-holdered. When I submitted mine for review…I checked the Pop report on Jordan RCs in a PSA-10 and the number stood at 318. A couple days later that number dropped to 317. Yesterday…I checked and the number stood at 319 after mine was included and the possible re-holdered copy was re-added.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭

Big stones. Great outcome! Well played, sir

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2022 1:29PM

@mintonlypls said:
    Secretstash...

How did you discover that one? Centering is off a little top-to-bottom and not 51/49 as the xxxxxx72...but otherwise is very, very nice.

Just decided to search the certs near and around that one. It appears the submitter sent in 2 in one order (just one cert # off). Heritage would likely know who the original owner was of that sale--if they still own it. Good luck if you venture into it bud.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

He took a high dollar risk that worked well for him. Isn't it possible the card could have had a small, hidden crease and came back a PSA 5? He gambled and won!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

That SOB (friendly term like Costanza used it on Seinfeld) should have done this upgrade back when PSA 10s were selling for $800,000 during height of Covid. Still will be a wealthy man when he sells !!!

• Options
    edited July 11, 2022 2:04PM

Just bought in late February 2022...in a Heritage Auction. I have owned this card for a mere 4 1/2 months!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2022 3:35PM

Wow, just wow, what a success story.

On a related note, does anyone know how they break cards out of holders? I would like to believe it's some industry secret contraption that negates any possible damage to the card, or at least a powered rotary cutting tool with the holder in a vice. But I have my doubts and wager its just a pair of tile nippers and a screwdriver a la YouTube instructional videos...

Does 90s junk wax get the same treatment as this beauty?

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@basketballcollector said:
    That SOB (friendly term like Costanza used it on Seinfeld) should have done this upgrade back when PSA 10s were selling for $800,000 during height of Covid. Still will be a wealthy man when he sells !!!

There's very strong suspicion that those sales were not legit and were intended to reset the market for other sales. It worked.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Yes…I valued it at $25,000, so the review charge was at the Premium 2 level or $2000.

Process went very quickly within the promised 3-day time limit. I was watching it progress thru the process and it seemed to be going very fast. I overnighted it via FedEx and the day it arrived at PSA…it was immediately logged into their system and even went to grading. I thought…it was destined to remain a PSA-9. Then…it slowed at Q1 for a day…and it raised my hope. Then…I was checking every 1/2 hour. Then…it went to Q2 and said hold and a PSA representative will be contacting you. At that moment…I knew I had a PSA-10. An e-mail arrived shortly thereafter saying that there would be a $3000 up charge because it is valued more than $25,000 that I had placed on it.

2000 dollars to review !!!!!!!!!! yikes and CONGRATS !!!!!!!

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@mintonlypls said:
    Yes…I valued it at $25,000, so the review charge was at the Premium 2 level or $2000.
    An e-mail arrived shortly thereafter saying that there would be a $3000 up charge because it is valued more than $25,000 that I had placed on it.

I'm a little confused... You valued it at $25k and paid $2k upfront.... Why didn't you declare it at $24,999, you would have only had to pay $1k upfront if it had not been changed to a 10. With the $3k upcharge, they valued it at over $100K of course.. Obviously hearsay now!! Congrats. Hopefully it doesn't get lost in shipping or damaged, cause you'd only get $25k back.... the risks of under declaring to save on the PSA charge. Per T&C's, upcharge does get you coverage to the new value.

at this moment you cannot double guess what he did , lol...

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@mintonlypls said:
    An e-mail arrived shortly thereafter saying that there would be a $3000 up charge because it is valued more than $25,000 that I had placed on it.

I'm a little confused... You valued it at $25k and paid $2k upfront.... Why didn't you declare it at $24,999, you would have only had to pay $1k upfront if it had not been changed to a 10. With the $3k upcharge, they valued it at over $100K of course.. Obviously hearsay now!! Congrats. Hopefully it doesn't get lost in shipping or damaged, cause you'd only get $25k back.... the risks of under declaring to save on the PSA charge. Per T&C's, upcharge does get you coverage to the new value.

actually if it gets lost he gets more than 25k because he paid the upcharge. .....

• Options
    markmac33markmac33 Posts: 49 ✭✭

That’s awesome that you got the bump. It’s a beauty. I sent my best 8 cards for review a few years ago. They had been graded in the mid 2000s. Bird/ Magic rookie 8, 61 Fleer Wilt, Oscar, West all PSA 7, 86 Fleer Jordan 8, 57 Cousy 7, 87 Fleer Jordan 9. I only got back one bump which was the Jordan. It bumped to an 8.5. Luckily it only cost $25 each to bump back then. I thought half would get a bump. All were graded before the half point system was initiated.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2022 8:34AM

@lawyer05 said:

actually if it gets lost he gets more than 25k because he paid the upcharge. .....

WRONG !!!! (see last sentence)

Q: What happens if my Declared Value is understated?

A: If PSA determines, in its sole discretion and at any point in the process, that the submitted Declared Value has been understated relative to the market value of the item, PSA reserves the right to decline your stated Declared Value. If PSA declines the Declared Value of an item, PSA may require you to pay for the accurate Service Level as a condition of PSA completing the authentication and grading process as to the subject item. If you refuse, or are unable, to pay PSA for the accurate Service Level, then PSA will return the item to you unprocessed at your cost, and you will be charged for the Service Level at which you submitted the item.
    PSA’s determination that you have understated the Declared Value will affect only the Service Level charge, it will not change the Declared Value for purposes of establishing the maximum item value for claim or shipping insurance purposes.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned something new " If you refuse, or are unable, to pay PSA for the accurate Service Level, then PSA will return the item to you unprocessed at your cost, and you will be charged for the** Service Level** at which you submitted the item."

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:
    I learned something new " If you refuse, or are unable, to pay PSA for the accurate Service Level, then PSA will return the item to you unprocessed at your cost, and you will be charged for the** Service Level** at which you submitted the item."

Seems like a pretty meaningless clause since not many would do this since they up charge you in order to get in the grade that they gave. If the card isn't showing in that grade, the card wouldn't be worth what it would. Like an enigma.