Home Sports Talk
Options

Speaking of Shipping Issues...STANLEY CUP DELIVERED TO WRONG ADDRESS!!!

RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 5, 2022 8:43AM in Sports Talk

Comments

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a great story!

I once touch the Stanley Cup back in 1982. It was in a parking lot of a Burger King in East Meadow, NY. It was in the back seat of a car driven Billy Smith and a friend. I was walking back to my car with a bag of hamburgers. A couple of people had recognized him and were standing at his car talking to him. The cup was in the back seat! UNBELIEVABLE!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited July 2, 2022 6:49AM

I'm a Rangers fan...and I vaguely remember that one of the players jumped into a pool with it...and the chlorine started to eat the silver plate off it!!!

I think it weighs something like 35 pounds!

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a picture of me and Ron Hextall standing with the Stanely Cup somewhere. I will have to dig it out. Have no idea where it is after all these years so it will be an adventure. I also have autographed pictures of me with Bernie Parent and Dave Shultz hanging in the basement.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

Doh!!! Short adventure. It is also hanging in the basement along with my daughter, Eric Lindros, John LeClair and Michael Renberg.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

@RichR said:

New York Worlds Fair 1964

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited July 2, 2022 11:52AM

@TomB said:

@HATTRICK said:
    Doh!!! Short adventure. It is also hanging in the basement along with my daughter, Eric Lindros, John LeClair and Michael Renberg.

Errr...I hope you mean pictures of your daughter, Eric Lindros, John LeClair and Michael Renberg are hanging in your basement!

Yes pictures. we have many including a 16x40 panoramic picture of the inside of the Core States Center, showing me & my daughter in our 5th row seats behind the goal at the first Flyers home game in the new building in 1996. The entire team at that time signed their autographs in the white border around the edges of the picture. My daughter wants it bad but I said not until I die. Maybe I will be hanging in the basement some day and the picture gone. :o

• Options

Hi Oakstar...you are correct...1964-65 Fair...Peace Through Understanding!

I was born a short walking distance from the site of both New York Worlds Fairs.

• Options

@RichR said:
    Hi Oakstar...you are correct...1964-65 Fair...Peace Through Understanding!

I was born a short walking distance from the site of both New York Worlds Fairs.

We're homies!! 👍🏻

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

I find it crazy that there are this many people that follow hockey. I love hockey but generally doesn't mix with my other hobbies. This is a welcome change!

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    edited July 2, 2022 7:30PM

I just can't believe that they shipped the actual Stanley Cup. Did an intern make that decision?

I don't think the NFL would have mailed a Lombardi Trophy or that MLB would ship a World Series Trophy...of which I think a copy is presented to the championship team each year vs. passing the one and only Stanley Cup from team to team for nearly 100 years!

II wonder what the insurance replacement value is?

• Options

@RichR said:
    I just can't believe that they shipped the actual Stanley Cup. Did an intern make that decision?

I don't think the NFL would have mailed a Lombardi Trophy or that MLB would ship a World Series Trophy...of which I think a copy is presented to the championship team each year vs. passing the one and only Stanley Cup from team to team for nearly 100 years!

I believe there are several Stanley Cups. I know it's the oldest professional sports championship in North America. It's the only trophy in professional sports that has the name of the winning players, coaches, management, and club staff engraved on it.

I'm not sure of every winning players, coaches, management, and club staff is on "one" trophy from the very first championship? I should probably look it up.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a kid who grew up here in Nevada, I never understood hockey. Ice, what's ice? We didn't even have a rink that I know of in the entire state back in the day.
    Then I got the opportunity to go to a pro hockey game in KC. I still don't understand why people play that "game". It should have ropes around the ring, er rink. And who can follow that damn little puck? Noisy and a rowdy crowd, too ,,,,,,,,,, uh, maybe that was me and the beer.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2022 9:00PM

@AUandAG said:
    As a kid who grew up here in Nevada, I never understood hockey. Ice, what's ice? We didn't even have a rink that I know of in the entire state back in the day.
    Then I got the opportunity to go to a pro hockey game in KC. I still don't understand why people play that "game". It should have ropes around the ring, er rink. And who can follow that damn little puck? Noisy and a rowdy crowd, too ,,,,,,,,,, uh, maybe that was me and the beer.

And I guess that's why not many hockey players come from Nevada. I guess you gotta be from Canada to really understand the sport. Just watching them skate is amazing. They can skate better then you and I can walk. Many NHL players have worn skates before shoes.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

The official cup handlers, who travel with the cup and whom you see bringing the cup out onto the ice after the final game, were hand delivering it to the Captain’s house the night before the parade and they went to an address down the street. They knocked on the door and somebody else answered.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@AUandAG said:

And I guess that's why not many hockey players come from Nevada. I guess you gotta be from Canada to really understand the sport. Just watching them skate is amazing. They can skate better then you and I can walk. Many NHL players have worn skates before shoes.

I think I'll be learning as my grandson, age 10, is starting hockey training in two weeks. He's already a great skater as is his sister and my daughter (mom). So, they see something in it and it's pretty to watch at a rink, but hockey is different and brutal. Hope he likes the sport. I'm sure I'll be finding out how expensive it is to play hockey....can't be cheap like baseball or soccer.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

[[As a kid who grew up here in Nevada, I never understood hockey. Ice, what's ice? We didn't even have a rink that I know of in the entire state back in the day.]]

That was then...but you have a pretty good team in the desert now!

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

As a Flyers fan who hasn't enjoyed a championship in nearly 50 years, WHAT'S the "Stanley Cup"?! :o:(

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, let’s also not forget it’s gotten some pretty bad rim dings the last few days.

Got my picture with it a few years ago

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is funny..... Wouldn't it be something if they just left it if nobody was home.... I am sure they would not have done that, but can you imagine the headlines?? 'Stanley Cup missing', Nationwide search. :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    Well, let’s also not forget it’s gotten some pretty bad rim dings the last few days.

For those that missed it

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@RichR said:

I believe there are several Stanley Cups. I know it's the oldest professional sports championship in North America. It's the only trophy in professional sports that has the name of the winning players, coaches, management, and club staff engraved on it.

I'm not sure of every winning players, coaches, management, and club staff is on "one" trophy from the very first championship? I should probably look it up.

I believe there is only one. I think the confusion comes from the fact that it has been added to over the decades. If I recall correctly that cup/bowl at the top was the original award.

• Options

@airplanenut said:

So I guess this thread is coin related! 😂 🤣

• Options

@JBK said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@RichR said:

I believe there is only one. I think the confusion comes from the fact that it has been added to over the decades. If I recall correctly that cup/bowl at the top was the original award.

Yes, I think you're right. the bowl at the top was the original trophy.

So you're saying every players, coaches, management, and club staff's names are engraved on "one" Stanley Cup? I don't know, I'm just asking. It just seems like a heck of a lot of names on one Stanley Cup since the very first Championship in 1893.

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭
    1. The Stanley Cup was created by Sir Frederick Arthur Stanley, Lord Stanley of Preston and originally presented to “the championship hockey club of the Dominion of Canada,” in 1892.

2. The first team ever awarded the Stanley Cup was the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association in 1893. Since 1926, it’s only been awarded to the National Hockey League.

3. The Stanley Cup is the oldest trophy competed for by professional athletes in North America. It’s also the only trophy in major sports that is not reproduced each year.

4. The winning team holds the trophy for one year and each person is given 24 hours with the Cup, a tradition formalized in 1995.

5. There are 2,267 names engraved on the Cup. When the bottom band becomes full, the oldest bad is removed and preserved in the Hockey Hall of fame and the blank band is added to the bottom.

6. To get their name engraved, a player must have played at least 41 games for the championship team during the regular season or played in at least one game of the Stanley Cup Finals. They have the ability to petition the league to include other team members, which is the case for the Chicago Blackhawks.

7. The first team to engrave its names inside the bowl was the 1906-07 Montreal Wanderers. The 1914-15 Vancouver Millionaires also engraved nine names inside the bowl.

8. The current Stanley Cup is made of silver and nickel alloy and is 35.24 inches tall and weighs 34.5 pounds.

9. There are technically three versions of the Stanley Cup:

The original 1892 bowl – retired in 1962 and displayed in the bank vault at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, Ontario
    The 1963 authenticated “Presentation Cup” – this is the current Cup and is identified by the symbol of the Hockey Hall of Fame on the bottom of its base
    The 1993 “Replica Cup” – created to be used as a stand-in at the Hockey Hall of Fame whenever the Presentation Cup is not available.
    10. Traditionally, players won’t touch the Stanley Cup until they win it. A tradition began in 1950 when Ted Lindsay, captain of the Detroit Red Wings hoisted it above his head and skated around the rink.

1. The Cup is assigned two trustees that have absolute power over all matters regarding the Stanley Cup. The trustees include former NHL Executive Vice President Brian O’Neill and Ian “Scotty” Morrison, longtime NHL referee-in-chief and former president and chairman of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clickbait headline: The Stanley Cup got delivered to the wrong house in Denver

No, it wasn't delivered to the wrong address. It was taken to the wrong address where the mistake was realized and it was then delivered to the proper recipient.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@JBK said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@RichR said:

Yes, I think you're right. the bowl at the top was the original trophy.

So you're saying every players, coaches, management, and club staff's names are engraved on "one" Stanley Cup? I don't know, I'm just asking. It just seems like a heck of a lot of names on one Stanley Cup since the very first Championship in 1893.

On the top bowl, it's just the teams and year. Only on the larger rings (the new part, if you will) do the players get named.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@jshaulis said:

@airplanenut said:

For those that missed it

This gives me PTSD, since only a few weeks ago I similarly hit a rut in bad ice and lost my balance, except instead of holding the Stanley Cup and getting away with it unscathed, I sprained my MCL :neutral: