Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Let's say you have $200 to blow on 1 coin...

WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 16, 2022 12:05PM in U.S. Coin Forum

What would it be?
Not enough cash to buy any of the super nice/popular/expensive coins but you could get a decent low grade, better date/coin...
or a very high grade common date, what would it be for you? :)
For me it would be a common date (1840's-50's) large cent in low MS, nothing gets my juices flowing like that early copper :p
1854 MS60

(photo courtesy of our host)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

Comments

• Options
    GulfRastaGulfRasta Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

@WilliamF I was bummed because I got a little overzealous starting topics. I think and thought the exact same thing. I'm going to the coin store. I'll see what they have. I'll let you know. Maybe I'll take a picture. How could I best do this? I'll ask the dealer?
    Then post 3 choices. You pick the winner? This could be fun.

• Options

@GulfRasta said:
    @WilliamF I was bummed because I got a little overzealous starting topics. I think and thought the exact same thing. I'm going to the coin store. I'll see what they have. I'll let you know. Maybe I'll take a picture. How could I best do this? I'll ask the dealer?
    Then post 3 choices. You pick the winner? This could be fun.

Sounds like a plan to me! Go for it :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options

@lermish said:
    I pulled the image off of eBay (not my coin) to check the prices but something like this:

Thats a great one! A nice Mercury would be second or third choice for me, I love those little silvers :)

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photobucket in 2022? You can upload photos here directly. ;)
    I like your choice of coin for the money.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    Photobucket in 2022? You can upload photos here directly. ;)
    I like your choice of coin for the money.

Usually I can lol, but it hasn't been working for the last 24 hours or so for me, technology doesnt like me :smiley:

• Options

Everyone. I have pictures.
    The store.
    The coins.

The description and prices. They are so amateur. I love it.

Which one is the best deal?

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭✭

$200 is enough to buy an acceptable looking 1794 large cent. Or a decent looking 1797.

Alternatively you can get a very nice looking large diameter Capped Bust Dime for $200.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options

Nice, I like the canadian gold, It's a fair price as well, you can get those 1/10th oz golds for about that price most places online but you'll have to pay extra s/h so having it at that price without having to pay delivery is nice, though I'd try to talk 'em down a little bit yet ;)

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are far too many choices. Based on my mood right now, I'd probably go for a mid-circ grad seated half.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

Uh oh. We're in the US section. I've been breaking too many rules. I'll get it. $200?

• Options

@GulfRasta said:
    Uh oh. We're in the US section. I've been breaking too many rules. I'll get it. $200?

If you can get it for $200 you've got a good price :)

• Options
    edited June 16, 2022 12:37PM

@Omegaraptor said:
    $200 is enough to buy an acceptable looking 1794 large cent. Or a decent looking 1797.

Alternatively you can get a very nice looking large diameter Capped Bust Dime for $200.

Darn right, I got this one for $105 a while back :)

Hey! My images are uploading like they're supposed to again :)

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GulfRasta said:
    The store.

I love the old armored truck!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@WilliamF said:

@Omegaraptor said:

Darn right, I got this one for $105 a while back :)
    Hey! My images are uploading like they're supposed to again :)

And this interesting '97 in my counterstamp collection for $127.50 a couple years ago :smiley:

• Options

@GulfRasta said:
    My new US coin with President Elizabeth Warren.

>
    Beautiful :) Although I'm not quite sure it's Elizabeth Warren... ;)

• Options

@WilliamF One can dream of what might have been.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Each of these were right around $150.

• Options

@jedm said:
    Each of these were right around $150.

Nice! I recently had this offered to me at $250 but declined for lack of better pictures and it looked like it had been cleaned, but yours is nice and original! :)

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Omegaraptor said:

I agree with "O". 1794 is my next buy, but where is it I pick up that extra money, not sure. LOL
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    CoinHunter4CoinHunter4 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

I'd probably end up getting a nice proof Mercury dime or maybe a nice high-grade common-date walker...

Something like these two one Ebay...
    $225
    $209

Young Numismatist. Over 20 successful transactions including happy BST transactions with @CoinHoarder, @Namvet69, @Bruce7789, @TeacherCollector, @JWP, @CuKevin, @CoinsExplorer, @greencopper, @PapiNE and @privatecoin

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" -Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a 1/10th gold eagle coin.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good choice on the 1/10 ouncer

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the $200 range. A lot of good stuff to be found and I feel I can get coins “worth having in my collection.”
    Since I only get to coin shop a few times a year, and $200 is usually a big chunk of my coin budget at those times, I like to try for “interesting” stuff I don’t already have.
    I soon hope to get a coin from the 1700s (like above) Or a Seated half.

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2022 2:45PM

@ShaunBC5 said:
    I love the $200 range. A lot of good stuff to be found and I feel I can get coins “worth having in my collection.”
    Since I only get to coin shop a few times a year, and $200 is usually a big chunk of my coin budget at those times, I like to try for “interesting” stuff I don’t already have.
    I soon hope to get a coin from the 1700s (like above) Or a Seated half.

I love early coins and the allure of holding them in your hand. I'm not sure what I'd rather have, a 1794 Large Cent or an 1805-07 Draped Bust Half Dollar in VG-ish (which is doable if you can extend your budget to about $250). Both are beautiful and historic coins that I would love to have, I will probably try to get one of them for myself this summer. I have a Liberty Cap cent but it's just a boring ol' 1796... struck on the same planchets as the large cents that came after it. But hey it only cost me $50 and it's smooth and problem free! The 1794s are on thick, lettered edge planchets. More exotic!

In fact, if you can extend your budget to $325, you can buy Larry Briggs' holed, beat up 1800 Bust Dollar. It's the worst Bust Dollar I've ever seen... but hey, it's a Bust Dollar!

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF CBH with choice surfaces from the 1830’s.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

With an extra $200 I would buy a nice Shield nickel or Liberty Nickel PCGS XF-MS62

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@jughead1893 said:

Woah, that is a HIGH RELIEF coin!

• Options

@jughead1893 That's a younger President Warren.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GulfRasta said:
    The store.
    The coins.

The description and prices. They are so amateur. I love it.

Which one is the best deal?

I just drove by this shop! I didnt get to stop but I really wanted to!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

The description and prices look professional enough to me. :smiley:

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love early copper! And there's good value in AU-low MS later date pieces...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    JMoo100JMoo100 Posts: 112 ✭✭

The dealer margin is too thick at the $200 price range

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GulfRasta said:
    The store.

I can't quite make out the name of this shop....is it Finley Coin Shop?

• Options

@Onastone said:

@GulfRasta said:
    The store.

I can't quite make out the name of this shop....is it Finley Coin Shop?

Looks to me like Foley Coin Shop :)

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Foley Coin Shop

225 West Laurel Avenue, Foley, Alabama 36535, United States

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2022 8:59PM

1913 S type 2? Or I can blow it for you 😂

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can get a Top Pop and really cool coin for under $200 like this:

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look for a really nice Barber Dime in MS63 other than the years 1892 and 1916. Most likely it will not have a CAC because of the $200 valuation.

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2022 2:27PM

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

1/10 Krugerrand would be pretty close

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2022 3:02PM

$200 doesn't buy what it used to. I guess I would put it into a coin that is scarce in all grades, something with choice surfaces that would appeal to a collector when I went to sell it. There are many possibilities. Semi-key Indian and Lincoln cents, better date Seated H10c and 10c, Capped Bust H10c and 10c, or even a choice half cent can all be purchased in respectable circulated condition without settling for something that is "common." Why not buy a CC mint dime, quarter, or half, even if it isn't a rare date? If it was your last $200 on Earth, an even smarter play would be to cherrypick a rare die variety on top of choosing a great coin. After you sell it, you can start a new thread with $500 or $1000, and have money left over for lunch.

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭✭

I’d like a 1910-s U.S.-Philippines peso in AU55+, price guide $175. Mintage just over 3 million - minuscule survival rate. PCGS has graded under 200 coins across all grades, and the top pop coins are valued at $110,000. A rising tide…

• Options

@WilliamF said:
    What would it be?

I've started buying US bullion coins, and just spent a tad over $200 for a 20222 1/10th Oz $5 Type 2. I tried putting in a pic, but it seems the picture button is archaic as I can't figure it out!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get a High Relief Saint………………..Christopher.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file