Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Donating cards

Anybody have any experience with donating cards to charity or some other organization? I have a ton of modern cards (stars, commons, inserts, etc.) that I would like to get rid of, and I've heard you can take tax write-off by donating them. Has anyone done this?

Anybody know of any organizations that would take such a donation + provide documentation?

Comments

• Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    I donated several thousands cards this year (many box fulls) to the local Children's Hospital, they were a bit overwhelmed by the volume but were happy to receive them. They provided a donor form for me to fill out (they indicated number of boxes, etc.). At the same time, I game some to the local elementary school in groupings of 10 or so. They use them for the kids prize drawer.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    I have donated several times to 2 local childrens hospitals and twice to local schools. I even gave a box full to a local cub scout troop that was working on collections.
  • Options

https://www.collectibleswithcauses.org/donate-sports-collectibles.html
    A good friend of mine makes donations of sports cards to this charity, sends them almost a box every week. Every time he received his IRS form 8283 by mail, and receives a larger tax deductible amount than he could have by selling them.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

I've donated with Commnons4Kids a number of times: https://commons4kids.org/

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

IRS has an army ready to audit you.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are really wanting to donate for a tax deduction, I would talk with
    an experienced account. Be prepared to have at least the last three years
    of tax returns with you. Do not bother with HR Block and other seasonal
    preparers. Be able to substantiate all card related deductions if you are audited.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sbrewer said:
    https://www.collectibleswithcauses.org/donate-sports-collectibles.html
    A good friend of mine makes donations of sports cards to this charity, sends them almost a box every week. Every time he received his IRS form 8283 by mail, and receives a larger tax deductible amount than he could have by selling them.

Not legally he doesn't.

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

I've donated tens of thousands of commons over the last few years to a local youth after school program, never once thought about a tax deduction though. I can't imagine attributing a value to that stuff, I'm just glad to get it out of the house...

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve dropped off bins of them at Goodwill over the years. Hopefully they went on to someone who could enjoy them.