Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are PCGS and NGC fair?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it's not cool when my customers haggle for the best price, then buy.... then ask me to crack it out for their album.
    Fair about's fair play.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:
    Mark, I was being facetious. Note the "edit". Oh, never mind.

I thought so, but wasn’t certain. Since the original thread title and post have been changed one or more times, understandably, a number of respondents might not know what the thread was really about.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    The coin dealers that get the good grades are because they know how to grade.

The coin submitters that get grades they are not happy with do not know how to grade.

It is that simple.

I get really good grades because I only submit on Friday the thirteenth when there’s a full moon.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Panda4456 said:

@Namvet69 said:
    Buh bye!

What?

You may get permanently banned from posting here. I'd like to say we'll miss your nonsense, but alas....

I suggested you reconsider. Now it's too late as people have quoted you.

What? Banned again.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m trying to think of a situation where someone would ask such a rude and poorly thought out question. ( In public)
    A couple banks about a third? Nope. Airlines? Nope. Not a dang thing but here you are. 😉🦫🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

@vplite99 said:
    In my experience PCGS is fair, but I have no experience with NGC. However I have not seen anything that would cause me to think that NGC is biased.

I have not agreed with their opinion occasionally but I figure they have more experience than me. And since they consist of humans, they do make mistakes,

To my knowledge NGC has never had a 'Board of Experts' that were major NGC only dealers.

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

I'd say they're both better than fair. Pretty good, even.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if Panda is gonna be Banda? :p:D

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

now that op's have been edited.

where do people come down on definitely still getting banned or might get banned or will survive this?

I think it can depend upon if the original versions have been seen or if the thread is read in its entirety. In those cases, definitely bammed. Otherwise, this might be survivable.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    now that op's have been edited.

where do people come down on definitely still getting banned or might get banned or will survive this?

I think it can depend upon if the original versions have been seen or if the thread is read in its entirety. In those cases, definitely bammed. Otherwise, this might be survivable.

I vote for banned. It's not just this thread. He's been playing Richard Cranium on others, as well.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah. I guess banned, because even questioning fairness is bannable material.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Then again we have some sharp folks who grab the op quotes. Like this one

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

You guys are babies. I am asking a question and you are all crying lol!

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

I think that’s what this forum looks like haha

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2022 2:10AM

@Panda4456 said:
    You guys are babies. I am asking a question and you are all crying lol!

While you changed your original thread title and post, you went way beyond “asking a question”.

@Panda4456 said:
    I often times see coin dealers on Facebook that are mutual friends with pcgs and ngc graders. I have seen many examples of people cracking coins out of their case and sending it to be graded for a better grade. For example, I know someone that cracked a 1906s us-Philippines peso au details out of its holder and resubmitted it to pcgs and got a ms63 grade. That’s about a $100,000 gain in value. Do you think pcgs and ngc are rigged in general? I think many coin dealers are buying these graders lobster in exchange for better grades. Discuss below”

You also posted “Seems legit” in reply to a post showing where an eBay seller had accused PCGS of swapping coins.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13222085#Comment_13222085

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    yeah. I guess banned, because even questioning fairness is bannable material.

He was questioning the integrity of PCGS. Some here have captured his original opening post. Scroll up and read it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2022 6:38AM

I find that I do exceptionally well at shows when I pay in advance with bags of Lincoln cents and Jefferson nickels. Especially the BU wheat cent bags!! 😉 And it generally only takes about 5 hours to count my change and issue me a receipt!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only if Elvis is involved.

• Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭

Based on my collecting preferences I do not rely on grading services except on a limited basis, I have been collecting for many years and will say that YES I think they they are honest and do a very good job. Nothing is perfect and opinions may differ but I do not believe they give preferences to friends or acquaintances.
    Al

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lighten up Francis.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say fair to about good!

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm impressed this thread's still here seeing how it breaks the 4th commandment... of the forum, that is.
    I'll go under the assumption the question's legit and just being asked by a less than knowledgeable person.
    Ever since the inception of grading services there have been people who are unhappy with the grades they received.
    We've all seen overgrades and undergrades from virtually every service.
    There have also always been people of the opinion that certain submitters, particularly high volume submitters, higher end auctioneers and dealers, and/or members of a certain "numismatic clique" tend to get the grade more often than not.

Whether there is merit to any of those contentions or they're just simply sour grapes, the bottom line is that you are paying a TPG for their opinion. An educated opinion, a market accepted opinion, but an opinion. And opinions vary, as do the standards upon which they are based. The standards IMO shouldn't vary... but the opinions always will.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
This discussion has been closed.