Home Stamps Forum

First Day Cover Silver Rounds

DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anybody collect these or should the rounds be detached from the envelopes and sold as bullion?

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about some photos?

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    How about some photos?

We are talking hundreds of covers. Anything you are looking for?

I did a little more research and this is what I learned. The slow end of US First Day Cover collecting began about 1975 with the entry of both the Franklin Mint and Reader’s Digest into the monthly FDC market. Both companies operated a monthly service that sent numerous FDCs to subscribers. The prices were high-usually close to $10 each for a cover that had a 13c or 15c stamp (the postage rate in the 1970s) and a 5c envelope. Millions of dollars of these postal products were sold into the philatelic marketplace, often to casual collectors who had no idea of their real value and that they were buying souvenirs, not collectibles. By 2000, the philatelic FDC marketers were largely gone, having left millions of collectors with hundreds of millions of dollars cost in material that was very overpriced, undesirable, and not collected by modern philatelists.

edited April 7, 2022 5:55AM

I'm not necessarily interested in any of them but if you are looking for opinions you'll need some pictures.

Are they all PNCs (with medal)? Are they just FDCs? Are they addressed?

I'm not trying to play up the value of these; just trying to help out a good friend.

They are all addressed with a silver round attached. Obviously from FDC mass marketing companies.

I'm not sure what PNCs means. Pittsburgh National Corporation (a bank) comes to mind.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about showing a photo of just one so I can get an idea what you are trying to describe? Thanks.

I addressed PNCs in your other thread....

Philatelic Numismatic Cover - combines coins/medals with stamps. That sounds like what you have.

Addressed covered are even less desirable. :/

There might be Disney collectors looking for these. Otherwise the value in the medals, either as collectables or as bullion.

edited April 7, 2022 6:29AM

I don't have the boxes containing my friend's covers in my possession. This is an example of what I saw. The covers were all addressed. The rounds had indications of their silver content.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullion ! Although if you are patient you can sell them on ebay probably move 10 or 15 a year with free listings its worth a try

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Find the best silver buyer in your area and sell all of them at once. Since they are marked as to silver content you should be able to get a good percentage of melt. If .999 they should bring a higher percentage of melt than if they are sterling. The current market wants .999 silver.

Don't start wasting lots of time or money trying to get every last cent out of them.

All glory is fleeting.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

put them on the BST for silver content