Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

SGC Submission UPDATED WITH SCANS!

balco758balco758 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent in 25 cards for grading to SGC. First time cheating on PSA. Went with the 10 business day option. Will share results.

Comments

• Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

I also just sent in my first 8 cards to them yesterday! Most were prior minsize rejects from psa that I thought I’d try there. Along with a nice centered mid grade 57’ Mantle that for some reason came back miscut. A bit of an experiment sending them there I guess.

Good luck with your sub!

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on how “tough” PSA has gotten on 70s cards, it would not surprise me if even after the backlog they get a significant number of submissions from this decade. Seems like yesterday’s 8s and 9s are todays 7s and 8s. As a buy the card not the holder guy, interesting to see if new label PSA 8s, super sharp new label PSA 7s, SGC 8s, or SGC 9s are what I gravitate to based on price vs card quality.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent received my first order in years a few weeks ago. Service was great and vintage hockey looks great in that slab.

• Options

I agree…Maybe make minsize be just a qualifier? Like the other ‘factory’ related imperfections (OC, PD, MC, MK etc)…I’d take a PSA 7 (MS) over having a sharp unaltered card sent back unslabbed.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I agree. A tad bigger gets you a more open case and vinyl interior sleeve. But to small and not trimmed.

So I have a few of these. Where do you guys send them off to? I want them graded and resending to PSA is not an option for several reasons.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

Just sent a few in to SGC (logged as received today) to see how they do…I can report back in a month or so when I get results.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

If you did 10 days, you will get 10 days. Or less.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Are they pretty consistently on time with their 20-25 day option as well? Also, is there an extra fee for auto cards? I do not see anything on their site about pricing.

• Options

@ArtVandelay said:
    Are they pretty consistently on time with their 20-25 day option as well? Also, is there an extra fee for auto cards? I do not see anything on their site about pricing.

Yes on timeframe. Not sure on autos. :(

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    DougGlattDougGlatt Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

I Have been using CSG for the last 8 months and love their slabs.. They are basically a new company, but have been fair and are the PSA of the Comic book industry.

$20 a card is great too. I do expect their business to pick up as they are growing and just got the eBay authentication contract.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with your order! I tried SGC back in November 2021 and have since sent in 3 more orders. Very pleased with price ($30), speed (3-4 weeks), grading (very consistent, no "head scratchers"), and slabs. Had one card identified as "evidence of trimming" but still slabbed as "A" (authentic).

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of PSA rejects as "miscut" or "min size". If SGC agrees and doesn't grade them, do they still charge you? PSA does not.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options

It appears you have the option of getting them slabbed as authentic if they don’t qualify for a number grade. That’s what I selected for my order in case they agree with PSA. At that point I’d rather just have them slabbed as authentic vs. left raw. I’m not sure if they still charge you for minsize if you don’t get it slabbed…hopefully someone here can answer that.

• Options
    habs007habs007 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    I sent received my first order in years a few weeks ago. Service was great and vintage hockey looks great in that
    Lets see them please

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

I got my answer. SGC will charge you even if they won't grade the card.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    BigMike79BigMike79 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

Mess rook hard to find centered
    Im a Vintage Hockey guy as well
    Beautiful

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks pal, got it as part of a raw set recently.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2022 8:30AM

Grades are in. Some good, some rather silly.

Pack pulled 89 MJ - "evidence of trimming" and 78 Eddie Murray (mis cut). I ripped both from packs. Ridiculous.

Unitas rookie SGC 3.5
    Yaz rookie SGC 5
    85 Walter Payton (2) both got 8's
    85 Montana got 8
    2019 Panini Bosa got a 10.

Some of you may recall the Unitas and Yaz came from the stacks of cards my old friend had and gifted to me last year. Will post a few scans when cards arrive.

• Options

Yikes, Sorry to hear that…guessing the few PSA min size/miscuts I have there now probably will end up in ‘A’ slabs, which is still ok with me but am hoping they will get a grade. Wondering if they are getting a bunch of past PSA size etc. rejects these days and are being extra tough on card cuts…or have they perhaps always been tough on that…?

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

I think anything that would be considered min-sized by PSA is just considered trimmed by SGC. So yes it came out of a pack, but it was short or skinny (not 2.5x3.5in). As for the Murrary, if it is considered miscut, then I don't think they are charging you because since it's miscut, it would not fit in a SGC slab.... And again, miscut cards come out of packs all the time.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2022 12:41PM

It's my 4th "nice" Murray called MC or Min Size by PSA and SGC so gets old as ALL are from ripped packs. The classification for Jordan card of "min size" (for a non trimmed card) is silly IMHO. It's from the factory, grade the darn thing!

Not a great pic, but this is the MC Murray. And, I was charged full fare.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

WTH - fills up the whole holder?

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

Does this have the curved border or is that the insert? The curved are legit. I’ve had a few graded from the 70s

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    edited April 7, 2022 8:31PM

Hmm, Looks like that Murray is wider at the top right. I guess they don't grade a miscut since if it's graded, it should be normal size. And since they don't do qualifiers, they just make it authentic and I assume they created a custom "tuxedo" for the card to fit in. Give us the cert# or take a normal pic so we can get a good look at it.

If that Murray was sent to PSA, it would have either been graded if they thought it would fit in a standard slab, or they would have returned it ungraded for free as an N-8.... N-8 Miscut - This term is used when the factory cut is abnormal for the issue, causing the card’s edges to deviate from their intended appearance. Grading fees are not charged in this instance.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

So I take it that cards not graded by PSA as minsize are not also graded by SGC?

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2022 11:53AM

The min size thing kills me. If the factory makes a mistake on centering, or has a print defect, or has the wrong back, or a miscut, all get graded. But a slightly short border can’t get anything beyond an A. Nuts.

• Options

Agree Green. And to wrap up my vent, the Jordan is not trimmed. What on earth are they seeing that suggested it's trimmed? Bad false positive.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

jay0791 said: So I take it that cards not graded by PSA as minsize are not also graded by SGC?

Not necessarily.... plenty of min size cards in SGC slabs. From previous experience of cracking vintage SGC 7.5, 8 and receiving min size from PSA. Tons of OC's in SGC slabs also......

• Options

Here are a few pics. The Murray and MJ are real bummers. Happy with the Unitas, Yaz, Tatum and Bosa.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2022 4:31PM

So the Murray def is oversize in the top right corner. You can see that they had to give the card a larger tuxedo cutout to get that corner inside... You can also see the large amount of space between the bottom right of the card and the tux. Usually a card will be flush with the tux on all 4 sides.

So at PSA, it would get sent back since it wouldn't fit in the slab. At SGC they just declare the card a jalopy and give it an A with a larger tux....

The Jordan does measure short compared to the Murray. Evidently too short for their liking, and since they don't give out Min-size, they just give it an A and keep your money.

• Options

Thanks Rufuss. Fair observations. My question is this.....does PSA or SGC really review Nino Espinosa cards with the same level of scrutiny? Something tells me a 78 Mets card of Nino that looked exactly same at the Murray would come back graded a 9, at least.

• Options

@balco758 said:
    Thanks Rufuss. Fair observations. My question is this.....does PSA or SGC really review Nino Espinosa cards with the same level of scrutiny? Something tells me a 78 Mets card of Nino that looked exactly same at the Murray would come back graded a 9, at least.

It's not about scrutiny, it's the damn card doesn't fit in the holder! So I assume at PSA, the card gets scanned by gemamint and flagged for being wrong size, maybe something similar at SGC. And then if the grader were to miss it, when it goes to get slabbed, either it will have the appendage crunched by the rail/tuxedo, or the assembly person will kick it back and say the card is wack.

Your Murray is no 9 with that top left corner! In the end, the grading of your Jordan might be questionable, but your Murray's issue is very apparent and can't be overlooked. Now CSG might have graded it because they have slabs with no rails and they put plastic over the card for cards that are slightly larger. I have CSG card I sent to PSA for a crossover and it got rejected at no charge because it was slightly miscut. I sent about 20 min size PSA rejects to CSG and they slabbed every one!!

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DougGlatt said:
    I Have been using CSG for the last 8 months and love their slabs.. They are basically a new company, but have been fair and are the PSA of the Comic book industry.

$20 a card is great too. I do expect their business to pick up as they are growing and just got the eBay authentication contract.

ever try to sell one of their slabs? I did a decent sized order about a year ago and got absolutely hosed when I tried to flip them. love the slabs, love the clarity. but Jesus Christ.....never again.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    It's my 4th "nice" Murray called MC or Min Size by PSA and SGC so gets old as ALL are from ripped packs. The classification for Jordan card of "min size" (for a non trimmed card) is silly IMHO. It's from the factory, grade the darn thing!

Not a great pic, but this is the MC Murray. And, I was charged full fare.

Are you suggesting pack fresh cards can't be miscut?