Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How to advertise on ebay to sell on myslabs

I'm curious to know if any1 has any ideas how i could advertise my slabs on ebay and direct them to myslabs. Feebay is completely ridiculous at this point, and they have lit the dumpster recently. Maybe listing in my description a subtle, "my slabs" can be had cheaper if you look harder. I know they watch my messages sooo..... I am tempted to list a myslabs advertisement with pictures to see how long it takes them to squash it

Comments

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe try adding an image directing buyers to myslabs until eBay gives it the axe?

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

I could change my user name to myslabscheaper. At this point I wont discount any idea with the 15% charge and the idea I may have sub fees on high end sales.

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Any attempt to steer eBay customers away from their site to another site will get you banned ASAP. EBay hates losing fees!

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2022 6:31AM

I include a scan of my business card in my pictures of the item that shows all my contact info (IG, email and myslabs link). thats less likely to be seen as opposed to putting things into the description and getting keyword flagged.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@myclosetisonfire said:
    I could change my user name to myslabscheaper. At this point I wont discount any idea with the 15% charge and the idea I may have sub fees on high end sales.

I suggest you be more discreet. dictoresno has good advice. I suggest to buyers that I saw the same exact card on MS for cheaper. If you make it too obvious ebay will start cracking down.

Mike
  • Options
    parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

Just a thought but…..if cards sell cheaper on myslabs than they do on eBay, even with eBay’s fees won’t you receive just as much if not more by selling on eBay? I agree I hate eBay fees and they are constantly going up but that’s the biggest market to draw customers from.

Interesting tidbit I learned last night. When eBay charges their final value fee they are assessing that fee on the combined total final value. That means they are adding up the sale price+tax+shipping then taking their 12.35%! I’m ok paying the fee but that’s pretty greedy to add in figures that are beyond my control.

• Options

I price my cards lower on MS than ebay but I still yield more than on ebay. MS sellers shouldn't be discounting so much to make less since the seller (for now) is generally saving on sales tax. For NY and CA buyers that is a huge savings. I some ways it is a good filter for me since if the buyer knows about MS they tend to experienced buyers instead of newbies.

Mike
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems strange to complain about eBay's fee's then attempt to leverage them to make up for low prices at a lower cost provider.

eBay gets a lot of complaints but when it comes down to it, you are paying those fee's to get the eyeballs that eBay draws. And the process is easy - 2 mins to list a card, negotiate a price within the system, accept payment, print shipping label. I get the draw of selling on forums, and Instagram, etc but my time is worth something and eBay offers a platform that makes it incredibly easy to sell cards, even if the odd transaction goes sideways. And personally I have had maybe 5 bad transactions in more then 1k over the past decade. There is lots of value there if you can figure out how to extract it.

• Options

In this selling market, you need to be able to transact in multiple ways. I have had buyers send me letters with their contact info after ebay deals to buy direct from me. I try to accommodate the buyer as much as possible.

I sell cards on both platforms and have no problem with either.

Mike
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

You could include a note in your package that you also sell you cards on MS and to check you out for more of a savings. Maybe get some repeat customers that way.

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with including your business card when you ship an item to someone. EBay hates it, but hasn't figured out a way to stop it, yet! But using eBay to promote your cards on another website will get you banned in no time. I would never post a photo of my business card on eBay. You do realize that your competitors check out your listings and would love to report you, don't you? Just a matter of time before eBay actually does something about it.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2022 10:00PM

I imbed an image of my website's homepage with the URL in the description of the item. The image is then hyperlinked to 'my profile' page which has a text version of the same URL that can be easily copy and pasted.

• Options

My OP is an emotional response to ebay being greedy and trying to fix something that isn't broken. I maybe sell 2 cards per month because i'm mainly a collector. The recent changes and suggestions, if anything, have made me re-consider buying into collectables in the future. It's sad that ebay controls so much of the hobby and they only care about how much money they can make.