Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which card are you buying for roughly the same money?

Which card are you buying for roughly the same money?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    1972 Pistol Pete PSA 9

I'd take the Pete Rose for a few reasons.

1) More people remember watching him play than Berra, so more demand for his card.

2) It was in the 5th series and a tough card to obtain. I remember having a ton of 72's from the first four series, but very few from the last three series.

3) Higher grade. Didn't check, but there must be fewer PSA 9 Rose's than low grade 1948 Bowman Berras.

4) Better eye appeal. Nice shot of Rose and a very colorful card. The grainy B&W Berra is a snoozer of a card. Nice pose, but not a very appealing card to look at.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Collector perspective: Depends on if I have more of an attachment to one player over another.

Investor perspective: Rose all the way. Most likely will appreciate even higher in price. Already the same price and the Rose came out over 20 years after the Berra release. The Rose in that grade will surpass the Berra 100% anytime now.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1972 Pistol Pete PSA 9

I would save up for the Berra in a 7 and then buy the Rose in an 8. But just on the two cards I would buy raw and save $ on the Berra rather than buy a graded 4.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Rose is my choice. If you are going with Berra, you could probably move down to an SCG 2 or 3 with good centering for about half the price and you wouldn't lose too much eye appeal.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1972 Pistol Pete PSA 9

With a 5% ebay bucks offer I received 'til 1/26/22 I may jump on the Rose..... I like the appeal of the Berra.... I'd rather have a 4 centered than a motley looking 7...... thanks fellas ...

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a really nice 4 on the Berra but take the high grade card pretty much every time.

• Options
    1972 Pistol Pete PSA 9

@Vagabond said:
    Collector perspective: Depends on if I have more of an attachment to one player over another.

Investor perspective: Rose all the way. Most likely will appreciate even higher in price. Already the same price and the Rose came out over 20 years after the Berra release. The Rose in that grade will surpass the Berra 100% anytime now.

This is where I'm at too. For me, I love vintage Yankees so I'd go with Berra. But from an investor standpoint if Rose every gets to Cooperstown that 72 PSA 9 will shoot up dramatically.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

@MantleMarisFordBerra said:

@Vagabond said:

This is where I'm at too. For me, I love vintage Yankees so I'd go with Berra. But from an investor standpoint if Rose every gets to Cooperstown that 72 PSA 9 will shoot up dramatically.

Not even Cooperstown. He already sells like a HOF player, even sells more than most who are already in. It's like when Jeter got in, I followed sales on his key cards closely months prior and even the day he got in and a couple of weeks after and prices didn't move at all because it was already expected, and he was selling as a HOF player even before he even got in. Collectors new it was a lock, and he was already priced high.

With the Rose, once he passes, that's when things will shoot up. They may come down after a few days, but they'll probably be more than what they were selling at before, once the dust settles. Card prices typically increase the most when (1) the player retires, (2) the players get into the HOF and then (3) once the player dies. Rose retired and I think we all know Rose isn't getting inducted into the HOF. Especially if Shoeless Joe still hasn't gotten in. Rose cards have one good skyrocket bump left on the table and that one is a guarantee it will happen.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1948 Berra RC PSA 4

Berra was a superstar, Rose was a good player who played forever.

Rose is the most over rated baseball player ever. Berra probably closer to one of the most under rated.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

Rose is the most over rated baseball player ever. Berra probably closer to one of the most under rated.

Rose was a very, very good player for a very long time, and then he played forever. Berra absolutely was a superstar, but who doesn't know it? I mean three MVPs, seven top five finishes, and eighteen All-Star games in 19 years doesn't exactly scream ignored, no matter how good a player you were.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never heard of Rose called "Pistol Pete". Perhaps you mean this card?

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1948 Berra RC PSA 4

@JoeBanzai said:

Nope Rose is 2nd, Yaz wins for most over-rated position player who played forever :)

Pistol Pete was Maravich. I too have never heard of Rose referred to by that moniker.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭
    1972 Pistol Pete PSA 9

The only nickname I've heard for Rose is Charlie Hustle.