Home Sports Talk
Options

What happened to the days of toughness on players?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Troy Aikman was commenting on his days of playing under Jimmy Johnson, and he was talking about how tough Jimmy Johnson was on his players, I was just wondering, what ever happened to the days when a coach could really be hard on his players for the purpose of making them tougher on the field? Do you think players have gotten soft? Here are Aikman's comments:

Troy Aikman identifies the one big challenge of playing for Cowboys

Troy Aikman is one of the most famous Dallas Cowboys players ever. The Super Bowl-winning quarterback played for “America’s Team” from 1989-2000, winning three Super Bowls. He knows better than almost anyone what the pressures and responsibilities are that come with being a member of the Cowboys, or, in his case, the most high-profile player on the team.

Aikman believes that one of the hardest challenges of being part of the Cowboys is trying to maintain an edge of toughness, largely due to how popular they are and how well they are treated in terms of facilities.

“It’s an organization that it’s hard, I think, in order for them to keep an edge. And I think that’s important,” Aikman said on his KTCK radio show. “The facility that they practice at is amazing. It’s the nicest in the NFL. There are tours that come through constantly. You’re constantly reminded that you’re a Dallas Cowboy and you’re really popular.”

He said that Mike McCarthy has an extremely difficult task with trying to help the players maintain an edge. Aikman feels that his former coach, Jimmy Johnson, was great at that.

“I know when I was playing for Jimmy I don’t know that we ever felt like we accomplished anything, to be quite honest,” Aikman said. “The more we won, the tougher he got. There’s something to be said for that.”

That approach worked for Johnson and helped the coach become a Hall of Famer. But the toughness doesn’t necessarily sell well these days. Bill Belichick is notorious for being tough, and some players just don’t like playing for the Patriots as a result.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 21, 2022 4:03AM

I remember when I played football when I was young, back in the early 90s, our coaches really let us have it. They ran us hard, they punished us if we were late or screwed around, they made us do exercises that were painful, but as a result we were a great team and actually won the city championship. It definitely had an effect on how we played on the field. I would want to play for a coach like Jimmy Johnson because I know he's trying to get the best out of us.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a number of things in play, first off it’s the money that these guys are being paid, there is very little chance guys that are looking to get paid are going to take any chance with a minor injury and ruin their chances to earn more money, and the guys that already got monster contracts can be lazy without repercussions.

The other thing is society has changed, I mean you have to watch every little thing you say and do as to not upset someone so these kids are just products of society.

In short, there are very few “Men” around anymore

• Options

I remember our coaches really knew how to push our buttons, they would call us little girls, that really used to piss us off. 😂😂

• Options

Another coach that was tough on his players was Bear Bryant, this is a good book to read about how hard he could drive his players, but it usually paid off on the field.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like no other. Dick Butkus.

• Options

Mike Ditka seems like he would be tough on his players too, he could be very mean and had a nastiness about him, I always enjoyed his intimidating presence.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

Bill Parcells was another coach that was tough on his players. If you made a mistake, he wouldn't hesitate to let you know about it.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the worst cases of poor sportsmanship. I was disgusted. Charlie sticking the ball in Woodys face and spouting obscenities. What bravery of a senior citizen not taking the abuse of a young punk who thinks he can abuse seniors with impunity. One of my favorite quotes " Show me a good loser.......and I'll show you a LOSER." :*

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Chuck Noll could be tough on his players, and Terry Bradshaw once said he was scared to death of Noll during his playing days and he still has bitter feelings about Noll to this day because he was so tough on him. Here is what Terry Bradshaw said about Chuck Noll back in 2016:

Terry Bradshaw says he will never talk about Chuck Noll again

Terry Bradshaw made a definitive statement about one of the most complicated coach -- quarterback relationships in NFL history.

Bradshaw said that, during the NFL Network's "Chuck Noll: A Football Life" documentary -- which will air Friday night at 9:00 p.m. EST -- that he will never again speak publicly about his relationship with Chuck Noll, his coach during his 14 years as the Steelers' quarterback.

"I will not talk about him after this interview, OK?" Bradshaw said. "Did I respect him? Of course I did. Like him? No, I didn't like him."

Bradshaw's statement symbolizes a complicated relationship that existed between the Hall of Fame coach and quarterback, who together became the only QB-coach duo in NFL history to win back-to-back Super Bowls twice. Noll was tough on Bradshaw, the No.1 pick in the 1970 NFL Draft, as his young, raw quarterback who threw six touchdowns to 24 interceptions during his rookie season. Under Noll and the city of Pittsburgh's microscope, Bradshaw had a roller coaster start to his NFL career, and was even benched during the Steelers' first championship season in 1974 before quarterbacking the Steelers to a victory in Super Bowl IX.

But under Noll's guidance, Bradshaw grew into one of the greatest quarterbacks -- and winners -- in NFL history, winning two Super Bowl MVP awards along with winning the 1978 NFL MVP. And despite the pain that he endured during his playing days, Bradshaw, who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1989, had publicly made peace with Noll before the Hall of Fame coach's death in 2014, as Bradshaw praised his coach when the two attended a Pittsburgh awards ceremony in 2003.

"If I could reach down in my heart, I would say I'm sorry for every unkind word and thought I ever had," Bradshaw said that night. "I mean that. I'm ashamed about that. It was ... my wrong, my childness, my selfishness. Having said that, it kind of cleanses me. I miss my coach. I love my coach. I miss Chuck Noll."

And despite making peace with his old coach, Bradshaw is apparently done of taking about his relationship with Chuck Noll, as the Blonde Bomber has chosen Friday's documentary on Noll as his final time speaking about the man known in Pittsburgh as "The Emperor".

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

i went over the Bears roster and counted 2 tough guys

the rest weenies

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always admired Mr Tomlin and his no nonsense approach. My Cowboys could benefit from a discipline oriented coach like him. He's old school and that is sorely missed in todays game.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i went over the Bears roster and counted 2 tough guys

the rest weenies

H-Town? Have you seen how the Texans run away from tackles the past few years? Once JJ left, that was it, just a terrible D. I think da Bears have more tough guys than Los Tejanos.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...