Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1985 Topps Baseball - Is It Possible?

I've started building another set, after building 1972 Topps for 10 years, selling the whole thing, and then taking a break.

I'm on to 1985 Topps, my first baseball cards ever. I would like to build the whole set in as close to PSA 10 as possible.

After a few of months of following, the project seems like it might be near impossible. There are very few listings up right now. When I was collecting 1972, there was almost always something I could buy, but there's next to nothing for 1985.

Plus, with the new grading prices (is this permanent? I haven't been on the board in about four years), I can't see why people would send in 1985 commons for grading.

Anyone have any experience here? Happy to give the project 10 years but I'm wondering if that's even enough.

Contact me if you have any 1985 Topps PSA 10!

Comments

• 19591959 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

I would not do it. Very few , if any, are sending 1985 commons to be graded. The grading price is too high and the chances of getting a 10 is almost impossible. Mabe try for all of the stars in a 10 and look for raw commons. Good luck in what ever you decide.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

@1959 said:
    I would not do it. Very few , if any, are sending 1985 commons to be graded. The grading price is too high and the chances of getting a 10 is almost impossible. Mabe try for all of the stars in a 10 and look for raw commons. Good luck in what ever you decide.

Exactly. Because of the scarcity of graded commons, when you do find them, they are asking crazy prices for a year where there are still plenty of unopened boxes/cases out there. And you picked a set with black borders to boot, making 10's even more difficult. For now, I'd hold off.

• bens4778bens4778 Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2021 6:17AM

1986 is the one with the black borders, but all the main points still hold.

For now I’m just grabbing HOF plus any semi-stars with nostalgia value and Red Sox. I have moments when I want to jump on lower pop commons, but the appeal just isn’t quite there, so I’m passing on them.

That said, that was my strategy with the 1972 set, and we know how that turned out. Still, I’m not paying $2020 for Enos Cabell one way or the other.

Prices I’ve gotten have been ok. Seems like semi-stars usually go for around $30-$60.

You're right, I was thinking 85 Donruss, which I actually prefer to the topps cards from that year. Also like the Fleer as well over the topps

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

I would collect the set raw in high grade. Will be cheaper and fun. Collect them card by card in ultimate high grade. Fun stuff. Graded is too pricey. I think this post kind of sums up the atmosphere with grading. How are people going to grade post 1960 commons ??

• voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

@bens4778 said:
    I've started building another set, after building 1972 Topps for 10 years, selling the whole thing, and then taking a break.

I'm on to 1985 Topps, my first baseball cards ever. I would like to build the whole set in as close to PSA 10 as possible.

After a few of months of following, the project seems like it might be near impossible. There are very few listings up right now. When I was collecting 1972, there was almost always something I could buy, but there's next to nothing for 1985.

Plus, with the new grading prices (is this permanent? I haven't been on the board in about four years), I can't see why people would send in 1985 commons for grading.

Anyone have any experience here? Happy to give the project 10 years but I'm wondering if that's even enough.

Contact me if you have any 1985 Topps PSA 10!

I went down that road about 5 years ago and backed out very quickly. It's just insane. Too expensive, with too low of a payday

Well, seems like the verdict is in.

I'll grab the stars, semi-stars, and Sox I like, ignore the rest for now, and hope that grading prices come down in the future (which they should, my goodness).

I collect other stuff too, so no big loss.

If anyone has a 1968 Rod Carew or Tom Seaver PSA 9 NQ, hit me up!

Just for the record, and since I don't see an official 1985 Topps thread, some prices:

Sammy Stewart PSA 10 - Pop 4 - $1136
    Jack Lazorko PSA 10 - Pop 2 - $861
    Tom Foley PSA 10 - Pop 2 - $660
    Jim Dwyer PSA 10 - Pop 3 - $570

Julio Solano and Frank Lacorte PSA 10, both Pop 1, @ $145.

I don't think I'll be getting this whole set in 10. Interesting that the Pop 1 cards didn't get more, though, since those slightly higher pop stars aren't even of semistars, either.

I do feel like I got a bargain on Joe Morgan Record Breaker PSA 10 - Pop 4 - at $154

• As a team set builder, I started my sets in 2002 and got a lot of graded commons completed for years 1961 to about 2000. I have thousands of cards, mostly commons of Angels players waiting to be graded. I am watching to see what PSA does with pricing and particularly specials to see if this HOBBY project worth continuing.

Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Thanks for the post. I was having the same thoughts after being off the boards for a few years and thought I was just seeing things incorrectly. I started a 56 raw set just for fun and it really has been my favorite set chase. I can't see going after the 80s stuff at the current prices. Good luck with whatever you do. -Mike

SinibobCards@aol.com

Working on 56T BB and 80T BB
    Looking to trade blocks of BB graded commons for other blocks of BB commons

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/sinibobcards/othersets/3205

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sinibobsystems/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
  • Just curious, where are you seeing prices for these 1985 commons ? PSA 10 ?
    Seems extravagant. Thanks for any info

I've been looking for a Steve Carlton PSA 10 for my Carlton set. Impossible to find. Haven't even been able to find it in a 9. Anyone wanting to sell either contact me.

I'd shelve the 85 graded set. The raw should be plentiful and reasonable for pricing. Should be able to gather a great looking set that way.

It's been fun getting the players I like and avoiding the commons. The supply is quite thin right now, after a big set break.

I want to believe grading prices will come down, but they might not. Or they might, but not by as much as I hope. And then supply of these 10s will grow only very slowly. Nonetheless, pursuing random commons for $600 isn't my speed (yet). I still have plenty of HOF, semistars, and Red Sox to pursue.

To the earlier commenter, these prices were on Ebay and can be viewed on VCP (Vintage Card Prices).

I like the prospects for this set, despite its junk designation. People my age (42) are just starting to have the right combination of nostalgia and money to pursue it. That's how I look at it anyway.

• I have a boatload of 1985 commons. Probably close to 2,500. Been in storage boxes for years. Perfect shape As far as centered or not? I’m not in the grading business!

Also some Carlton’s

@MICHIGANJNB said:
    I have a boatload of 1985 commons. Probably close to 2,500. Been in storage boxes for years. Perfect shape As far as centered or not? I’m not in the grading business!

Also some Carlton’s

I've got a bunch of raw also, especially Carltons, pretty nice ones at that; I'd rather just buy a 9 or 10 graded and be done with it instead of playing the submission game, hoping for months and winding up with 7's and 8's.

• I would love to know what these Cardsni have are considered ? They have been in storage boxes since 1986. They are flawless to the eye. I just don’t know much about the grading system. Any interest if I send a couple pics ? No obligation. Would love some feedback from the board on these

• I think the Registry may die a slow death if one can’t send commons in to grade at a reasonable price

edited August 24, 2022 8:45AM

Just a bump on this, if anyone has leads on PSA 10 commons or semi-stars for this set, or even PSA 9s that are low pop 10s. The flow of these cards is like the flow of water in MA right now, though it did just rain for two days. Hoping for a similar rain event in the world of 1985 Topps PSA 10.

Someone has a bunch of them posted on the Bay, but the prices are all ~3X VCP.

Are commons this dry in other sets too?

Yes sir. I've been trying to build my 84D set and the remaining commons are all but non existent...except for the few that are prices at 5XVCP. I've been lucky if I can find one card every 3 months. I'm down to 130 and they're not low pop either.

This is my once every 6-8 month plea for 1985 Topps PSA 10. Let me know if you've got any!

I quit the idea of all 10 - I've bought a number of 9s for cards where finding a 10 appears nearly impossible. But the nostalgia was so great that I just couldn't resist pursuing the set. I'm about a quarter done.

$15 common pricing gives me hope that the set is in fact possible to complete.